Listen Up 070 Telephone scam

A nonymous

Reaction score
Chances are, you know that calling a 0845 number is likely to incur a cost but what about when you ring a number beginning 070…?

“070” might look like the beginning of a mobile phone number but in fact it’s the prefix used for digital numbers. This week, Action Fraud have reported that “070” numbers have featured in over 2,600 fraud reports they’ve received over the past year. This is because some 070 numbers are connecting victims to premium rate numbers when called, leaving the unsuspecting caller with big phone bills.

Read more here

http://www.blog.noddle.co.uk/watch-...e=emailCampaign&utm_medium=email&utm_content=

Nano

Analoguesat

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
TM 5402HD
Sky+ UK.
My Location
Scottish Borders
Why the hell didnt Ofcom use something different - like 06xxxx numbers for digital follow me numbers? That would have knocked this kind of scam on the head immediately

2cvbloke

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
No satellite stuff for the moment (aside from a 43cm minidish that was on the house already), Samsung SyncMaster T27B550 Smart TV & Monitor, and a few computers...
My Location
Near Pontop Pike, Co. Durham
I never call 07 numbers unless I know who I'm calling, scams only work on people who lack common sense... :-rofl2

dig deep

Prince of Birthdays
Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Dream7020 and AZ Elite and a few DM800
My Location
Sweden
Well, my phonenumber starts with 070 and so does many here in Sweden(from Tele2)

So, not all are scams (I hope)

martinaoslov

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Satellite dish installed outside, with a clear view of the sky
My Location
san francisco
I wonder if this phone number 600-070-0000 counts. It left me 14 missed calls yesterday. When I looked it up, I found out it was used in a one-ring phone scam. It's a scam where the caller calls a phone number and lets it ring just long enough to generate a missed call. If the recipient calls back, he's asked to dial extension numbers which turns out to be meant for international calls. So I'm sharing this warning. Be aware!

martinaoslov

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Satellite dish installed outside, with a clear view of the sky
My Location
san francisco
By the way, I looked up the phone number at Callercenter and it's where I found the complaints associating the phone number to phone scams. I encourage everyone to check, too. Be proactive in educating family and friends on these schemes so they can avoid falling victim to the scheme.

PaulR

Dazed and Confused Admin
Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
-----------See sig-----------
My Location
Wirral, NW UK and Vaucluse, France.
I never call back to any number I'm not familiar with. In fact I'm pretty poor returning phone calls at all!

Jumpstart

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Motorised dish
My Location
North East
Thanks for the info', Nano.