2008 SAAB 9-5 Saloon, £10K, Too good to be true?

compufunk

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
DM 600-S, VU+ Duo,
Moteck SG2100, Fracarro Penta 85 dish, LG LH3000 42" TV + some computers
My Location
NW, Ireland
I'm in the market for a used motor at the minute.

I know of a car dealer somewhere around London who has 3 SAAB 9-5 Saloon's for sale at £10,000 each. All three are 2008 cars with next to no millage, which never left the showroom.

Normally I wouldn't even consider a new(ish) car because the value depreciates so quickly.

Supposedly the reason they are going at that price is because the dealer cant shift them.

Are car sales in the UK this slack? It seems a bit too good to be true.:confused

Topper

Amo Amas Amant Admin
Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Has gone to a good home elsewhere
My Location
Blackburn, Lancashire
Perhaps reading this may persuade you one way or another

Channel Hopper

Suffering fools, so you don't have to.
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
www.sat-elite.uk
My Satellite Setup
A little less analogue, and a lot more crap.
My Location
UK
Almost exactly the same thing happened just before Rover went belly up, prices dropped by 25 - 40% overnight with interest free credit for another three years.

In this age, when the governments might actually offer some incentives to both manufacturer and consumer on taking up eco driving, one would have thought a company on the ropes like Saab would start dismantling their stock and melting down the engines, ready for the new age of commuting......... nowhere. But all they will do is drop the price and keep schtum.

2cvbloke

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
No satellite stuff for the moment (aside from a 43cm minidish that was on the house already), Samsung SyncMaster T27B550 Smart TV & Monitor, and a few computers...
My Location
Near Pontop Pike, Co. Durham
My dad got a Volvo something or other for a grand, nothing wrong with it, looks great (in terms of age, not style :p ) and is pretty nippy with it's turbo thingumy!!! If a bargain looks too good to be true, you're probably just pessimistic... :-rofl2

Channel Hopper

Staff member
Reaction score
Website
www.sat-elite.uk
My Satellite Setup
My Location
UK
2cvbloke said:
My dad got a Volvo something or other for a grand, nothing wrong with it, looks great (in terms of age, not style :p ) and is pretty nippy with it's turbo thingumy!!! If a bargain looks too good to be true, you're probably just pessimistic... :-rofl2

Ah, but how old is it and which showroom ?

The secondhand market is still buoyant, especially for smaller vehicles, the larger engined cars are however getting a pasting in the auction sites.

2cvbloke

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
No satellite stuff for the moment (aside from a 43cm minidish that was on the house already), Samsung SyncMaster T27B550 Smart TV & Monitor, and a few computers...
My Location
Channel Hopper said:
Ah, but how old is it and which showroom ?

The secondhand market is still buoyant, especially for smaller vehicles, the larger engined cars are however getting a pasting in the auction sites.

Dunno and it was 2nd hand, though he's selling it as it's a bit too thirsty, it's kind of on par with a Police Volvo in terms of performance (as in, secures you firmly into the seats when you touch the accelerator!!!), but it's been replaced with a T-reg Ford out of Focus, which I haven't seen... :)

compufunk

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
DM 600-S, VU+ Duo,
My Location
NW, Ireland
I've been having a read around this evening.

It's a great car, but by all accounts, Saab are in trouble and they are selling off cars at hugely reduced prices. You could get a great deal on a new car now, but if they go bust, it wont worth anything when trying to sell it off in a few years time.

Plus, Our government have a neat little trick to dissuade it citizens from purchasing cars from outside the ROI. Its called VRT.

So even if you buy a car in another EU member state and pay the tax in that country, you still have to pay more tax to import it.

The tax is calculated on what they deem to be the current market value of a car, and the % rate varies depending on emissions/engine size.

I was quoted €13,255 import duty (VRT) :eek: Thats more than the car is being sold for.
See the attached screen grab.
View attachment 21003
_https://www.ros.ie/VRTEnquiryServlet/showCarCalculator
2cvbloke said:
Dunno and it was 2nd hand, though he's selling it as it's a bit too thirsty, it's kind of on par with a Police Volvo in terms of performance (as in, secures you firmly into the seats when you touch the accelerator!!!), but it's been replaced with a T-reg Ford out of Focus, which I haven't seen... :)
I'm driving a Volvo S40 (199? - 2004 model) at the minute. Its thirsty on short runs, but its pretty economical on long hauls. I travel to the opposite side of the country regularly and the Volvo only drinks about the same amount of fuel as the little 1.3 Toyota it replaced.

Attachments

• VRT.jpg
    VRT.jpg
    46.8 KB · Views: 19

Channel Hopper

Staff member
Reaction score
Website
www.sat-elite.uk
My Satellite Setup
My Location
UK
compufunk said:
I was quoted €13,255 import duty (VRT) :eek: Thats more than the car is being sold for.

OUCH !

compufunk said:
It's a great car, but by all accounts, Saab are in trouble and they are selling off cars at hugely reduced prices.

You can get great cars from almost any dealer for under 10k at the moment in the UK. Only you can confirm if the same is happening over the pond.

compufunk

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
DM 600-S, VU+ Duo,
My Location
NW, Ireland
Channel Hopper said:
You can get great cars from almost any dealer for under 10k at the moment in the UK. Only you can confirm if the same is happening over the pond.
There are some deals to be had in the used car market, but I dont see the same thing happening with new cars.

To be honest, because I've never considered buying a new car. I wouldn't be best placed to say if there's been a drop or not. All I can do is compare current Irish prices with UK prices.

Two quick comparisons,
Saab 9-5 1.9 TiDS: Gordon Kellett Motors, Dublin, €41,120 (Around £36,877 at the minute)
Saab 9-5 1.9 TiDS: Saab City Group, London, £18,452

Half price :eek:, You can see why £10K is so attractive to a buyer from the Irish market.

Ford Mondeo Zetec 2.0 Petrol, jennings-ford.co.uk, £15995
Ford Mondeo Zetec 2.0 Diesel, carzone.ie, €31,900 (About £28,608)

Dont come to Ireland to shop for a car :p

Channel Hopper

Staff member
Reaction score
Website
www.sat-elite.uk
My Satellite Setup
My Location
UK
_http://www.perrys.co.uk/vauxhall-corsa-1.0i-12v-active-5dr/new-and-delivery-mileage/offer-132632

In Scotland there are better deals as the man I last bought a bike from has just secured a new low end Corsa for just under 7k in Scotland, a 35% off the February pricing, delivered to his door, six months road tax and a full tank of fuel.

2cvbloke

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
My Location
Channel Hopper said:
_http://www.perrys.co.uk/vauxhall-corsa-1.0i-12v-active-5dr/new-and-delivery-mileage/offer-132632

In Scotland there are better deals as the man I last bought a bike from has just secured a new low end Corsa for just under 7k in Scotland, a 35% off the February pricing, delivered to his door, six months road tax and a full tank of fuel.

1litre engine? That's bordering on (original) Mini territory... :-rofl2

A touch O/T, there's a Perry's here in Colne, next to the Toybota place which is next to leading brand fried chicken place.... :cool: