Dazed and Confused Admin
Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
-----------See sig-----------
My Location
Wirral, NW UK and Vaucluse, France.
A bit more explanation.

MODI (Microsoft Office Document Imaging), part of the MS Office suite up to Office 2007 I believe, includes a printer driver that produces small B/W TIFF files. I have used it extensively for many years to make screenshots of documents and web sites. It works extremely well but now that I have moved to 64 bit Win 8.1 (I know...) I find that MS have dropped support for this and are not offering an alternative.

I've looked around the web a lot and find I am not alone. http://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/...indows-7/5a8050ec-b6f1-4cb1-9b1f-932a10f9e66a

Unfortunately there is not a simple answer. There are commercial offerings available (e.g. http://www.landonline.govt.nz/system-support/software-downloads/printer-software-vista http://www.imgmaker.com/content/products.asp) but they are quite expensive (one even has a monthly charge!) and offer much more than I want.

The most often offered solution is to use PDF Creator (which I have) to make the TIFFs instead of a PDF. This works BUT the files are huge. MODI produces a TIFF file typically 50KB a page. PDF Creator's file was some 18MB! Even after I converted it to B/W it's still 8.5MB. And that was most certainly not a single step solution.

So, does anyone know of a solution.

2cvbloke

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
No satellite stuff for the moment (aside from a 43cm minidish that was on the house already), Samsung SyncMaster T27B550 Smart TV & Monitor, and a few computers...
My Location
Near Pontop Pike, Co. Durham

Go back to using an older version of Office, or maybe look at OpenOffice (don't know if they offer that TIFF thing though), otherwise, pen, paper & a scanner... :lol:

PaulR

Dazed and Confused Admin
Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
My Location
It's not the version of Office that's the problem, it's the change from 32 to 64 bit operating system. At work I have a machine running 32 bit Win 7 and Office 2013 (horrid - even worse than Office 2007 and 2010) and I've installed the TIFF printer driver on that.

Channel Hopper

Suffering fools, so you don't have to.
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
www.sat-elite.uk
My Satellite Setup
A little less analogue, and a lot more crap.
My Location
UK
A bit more explanation.

MODI (Microsoft Office Document Imaging), part of the MS Office suite up to Office 2007 I believe, includes a printer driver that produces small B/W TIFF files. I have used it extensively for many years to make screenshots of documents and web sites. It works extremely well but now that I have moved to 64 bit Win 8.1 (I know...) I find that MS have dropped support for this and are not offering an alternative.

If you are just making screenshots, have you looked at IrfanView ?

http://download.cnet.com/IrfanView/

Q: Is IrfanView compatible with Windows 8/Windows 7/Vista/XP 64 bit?
A: YES, like probably 95% of all 32 bit programs.

PaulR

Dazed and Confused Admin
Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
My Location
Irfanview is a graphics editor and viewer. I'm trying to make the TIFF to be viewed!

PaulR

Dazed and Confused Admin
Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
My Location
That's still about viewing TIFFS. I'm looking for a printer driver to create TIFFs.

battenfan

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
1.2m pf
My Location
60N 18E
Last edited:

PaulR

Dazed and Confused Admin
Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
My Location
That sounds like what I want if it weren't for the fact that it costs $25!

Topper

Amo Amas Amant Admin
Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Has gone to a good home elsewhere
My Location
Blackburn, Lancashire

PaulR

Dazed and Confused Admin
Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
My Location
Looks like they disabled the function that actually makes it work!

I installed the program after wading through an installation process that tried to tempt me into also installing nearly a dozen different info bars, modifiers and programs. When I finally came to use it, it appeared to go through the process of creating the file but nothing appeared. I tried three times in total with no result.

Have now uninstalled the program in disgust!

2cvbloke

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
No satellite stuff for the moment (aside from a 43cm minidish that was on the house already), Samsung SyncMaster T27B550 Smart TV & Monitor, and a few computers...
My Location
Near Pontop Pike, Co. Durham
Have now uninstalled the program in disgust!

You may want to run MalwareBytes after that, just incase the thing dropped a payload... o_O