Advice Needed 8 room distribution (Triax; Vision; etc.?)

craigsat

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
I have an 8 room setup in my home with 1 x Webro WF100 coaxial cable to a faceplate in each room - running back to my central comms cupboard.

In addition, I currently have 1 x Webro WF100 coaxial cable running to a terrestrial aerial on my roof.

I am looking to add an 8-way distribution device and a satellite dish and need advice.
My Location
Scotland, Uk
Hi, first post here and first time DIY installer.

I have recently done a DIY re-wire of my entire large home and I have installed 2 x CAT6A and 1xCoax (Webro WF100 cable) to all 8 rooms in the house (big horrible job as its solid walls and needed lots of walls chased!)

All of these runs go back to a central 'comms' cupboard.

I have mounted a single terrestrial aerial on our roof and cabled it back to the comms cupboard, too (using Webro WF100 cable again).

I need a distribution device which is capable of splitting my terrestrial signal into 8 ways and providing amplification.

I expect that I will also add a satellite dish with quad LNB soon.

My thinking was that I was going to buy a terrestrial distribution amplifier (like the Vision EV5-110A) to do the 8-way terrestrial distribution and then, in the future, I could add something like a Vision EV5-D2S (2-way DSCR) if I wanted to add Sky Q to a couple of the rooms.

I am now, however, wondering if I am best to plan ahead, skip the terrestrial distribution amplifier and just buy an 8-way dSCR multiswitch (such as a Vision EV5-D8S or a Triax TdSCR 508) - which would let me run Sky or Terrestrial to any and all of my 8 rooms.

Questions:

1. How would the Vision EV5-D8S or Triax TdSCR 508 multiswitches 'work' if, in the short term, ahead of installing my satellite dish, I only had the terrestrial input connected? Would these basically operate as an 8-way terrestrial distribution amplifier?

2. As a follow-on to question #1, would all 8 rooms need to be upgraded to have a triplexer faceplate? If, for example, I had a room using a single faceplate (no triplexer) and I plugged in a terrestrial TV, would the TV be able to tune into tune into the terrestrial signal or does it need to go through a triplexer first?

3. Any comments on the Vision EV5-D8S or Triax TdSCR 508 multiswitches? Is one better than the other?

Thanks in advance.

ozumo

te wo tsuite
Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Raven mk2 zone 2 x4, Channel Master: 90cm x3, 1.2m x2, 1.8m PF. CM polar mount x2, Az/El x3.
My Location
South Durham
1. As long as suitable power is being supplied to the multiswitch I think it should work without satellite connected.

2. Don't know

You could always get a simple terrestrial switch and add a cheap Unitron dCSS-422 if you wish to add Sky Q in the future.