aldi & lidl

silverback-1

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Comag portable 12 volt
HP pavilion dv 9000
My Location
merseyside england
has any one any info on these portable systems from the aldi £65. and lidl £30. I could do with a12 volt system for my campervan but I notice the one from lidl states that it does not get freeview !!! I thought that was the Idea

Lazarus

Retired Moderator
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
80cm Motorised.
Several small Dishes.
Much else.
My Location
North York Moors
Lots of people use those camping sets to good effect.

Careful with the terminology, though: Freeview is the Digital Terrestrial TV system (through an aerial) and the available Channels are not 100% the same as on Digital Satellite.

Furthermore, Freesat (which is probably what you meant!) is basically a system using a branded Receiver that pulls together certain Free Satellite TV Channels with a full EPG etc (similar to Sky).

What you're proposing to buy is a Free To Air Receiver and although you'll get all the Freesat Channels and more, there is only Now and Next Programme Information.

The bonus is they can be used for "foreign" Satellites too (Well, a few) and you can do things like Rename/Renumber/Group/Delete/sort Channels to your heart's content.

silverback-1

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Comag portable 12 volt
HP pavilion dv 9000
My Location
merseyside england
I have just read the advert again and it deffinatly states "does not recieve freeview" as you state freeview is through an aerial so there is no need for them to add that. many thanks. ps the Lidl one is "silver crest" and the Aldi one is Tevlion or something like that

Lazarus

Retired Moderator
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
80cm Motorised.
Several small Dishes.
Much else.
My Location
North York Moors
silverback-1 said:
I have just read the advert again and it deffinatly states "does not recieve freeview" as you state freeview is through an aerial so there is no need for them to add that. many thanks. ps the Lidl one is "silver crest" and the Aldi one is Tevlion or something like that

Ha!

They probably don't understand the terminology either!

When Lidl sell that stuff, historically they've had lots of folk bringing it back because it doesn't get Sky. That was before Freesat launched, so now both the punters and Lidl are even more confused ............ Stick with us, though, and you'll be right.

I have a mains version of the Silvercrest (The SL65) and it is really rather wizzy for a cheapo.

I believe the SL35 and the Tevion are equally impressive for the price.