All the gear and no idea - Sat TV in the caspian

stuc100

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
seatel 5004, DAC-2202 ACU, 3 x DRM-800CI remodulators
My Location
Deepest Darkest Caspian Sea
Hi

I have recently become responsible for quite a nice wee set up on my boat in the Caspian sea (40N 051E with a 50"dish) and during our initial 'getting to know each other' period I have become acutely aware of how sad it is that it is only delivering a handful of azeri and Romanian channels for our entertainment. This equipment is not usually the type I go for and as much as I enjoy a challenge, I fear that by the time I get my head around quite a broad field of tech, our 3 year contract may have come to an end. I am hoping to elevate the mood of my satellite system, and subsequently, myself by providing some premier league football, some entertainment of a more british/norwegian nature and anything else that comes with a better package. What are the options that are available to me?? I am able to purchase cards and even decoders from the UK or Norway and subscriptions would be no problem but I would appreciate some pointers

Thanks

Stu

smoggy07

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Sky minidish and Sky + HD 250gig Anytime+ box with full ish appart from sports and movies, Dreambox DM500s clone (Pli Jade3 max var F/W), Motorised 1.1Meter Dish
My Location
middlesbrough, teesside, northeast coast, uk
You'll have no chance of getting proper English TV like Sky or Freesat but you "should" still be able to get content from a few satellites over your location, depending on dish size and equipment onboard

7E, 10E, 16E and 25E should be ok on a reasonable sized dish (looking at footprint maps) and you should be able to pickup at least a few channels/programs with the original English soundtrack (9E and 13E might be doable on a massive dish)

stuc100

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
My Location
Hi Smoggy, thanks for the reply

We have been locked onto 13E for the eastern Europeans on board the vessel but we are looking for something with a bit more variety, I realise that Sky is out the question however is there sports channels on the satellites that you mentioned that would be broadcasting football games? possibly the Thor sats as we have Norwegians onboard as well?? I have entered our co-ordinates into the SatStar website and it suggests that both Thor 3 and 5 are visible but I am guessing its not that easy...

sonnetpete

Grumpy Old Retired Moderator and quiz inquisitor..
Reaction score
Website
wordpress.com
My Satellite Setup
Laminas 1.2M fibre dish with an IBU, on a Clarke Tech USALS motor, covering 57E - 24.5W to an Octagon SX88. Displayed on a 20" Dyon LED TV.

Seperate 80 cm dish on 28E with a Humax Freesat for SWMBO.
Free Sat V8 meter. Sony Bravia 46" LCD, Sony BluRay and Home Cinema.
My Location
Normandy, France
Looking at your co-ordinates, are you somewhere near Baku? You could also try for Nilesat at 7W (Some channels with English soundtrack and Arab subtitles. BEin Sports is a possibility but not sure about subscriptions and getting hold of a receiver). Turksat at 42E is another possible, TRT1 and TRT HD (both FTA) carry some programming with dual audio, Turkish and English.

stuc100

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
My Location
great, thanks for the pointers sonnetpete, I will have a look into the BEin sports package as well

rolfw

Believe it when I see it Admin.
Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Technomate 5402 HD M2 Ci, DM7000s, Transparent 80cm Dish, Moteck SG2100 DiseqC motor, lots of legacy gear. Meters: Satlook Digital NIT, Promax HD Ranger+ spectrum analyser.
My Location
Berkshire
May aklso be worth swinging the dish around to 26 East to see if you can receive it, is the dish a 1.2m? If it's receivable, you could try and obtain a subscription for My HD, lots of English language stuff.

Archived-1

Persona non grata
Reaction score
My Location
uk
It would also be nice to see some pictures of the dish if you get the chance please :), I don't think I've seen a setup on a boat before,

hairybadger

Bricoleur
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
see sig
My Location
near Geneva, Haute-Savoie, France
It would also be nice to see some pictures of the dish if you get the chance please :), I don't think I've seen a setup on a boat before,
they're domed on boats, aren't they? Not sure there'll be all that much to see :)

hairybadger

Bricoleur
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
see sig
My Location
near Geneva, Haute-Savoie, France
Hmmm - BFBS? *If* the card were obtainable :)

Archived-1

Persona non grata
Reaction score
My Location
uk
A google does bring up round ones but also our type, it would be interesting to see what he
has on there.
dish_network_boat_marina_knoxville.jpg

sonnetpete

Reaction score
Website
wordpress.com
My Satellite Setup
Laminas 1.2M fibre dish with an IBU, on a Clarke Tech USALS motor, covering 57E - 24.5W to an Octagon SX88. Displayed on a 20" Dyon LED TV.

My Location
Normandy, France
As HB says Martin, they will probably be under a radome, like these pictured (Steven Spielberg's yacht)

Steven-Spielbergs-New-Seven-Seas-Yacht-1.jpg

Archived-1

Persona non grata
Reaction score
My Location
uk
I cant see a problem with me wanting to have a look :p

Channel Hopper

Suffering fools, so you don't have to.
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
www.sat-elite.uk
My Satellite Setup
A little less analogue, and a lot more crap.
My Location
UK
I have no idea I have never seen one hb, that's why I would like to see a picture of it. we don't know what boat he has, and they might be something of interest for me to see ;)

I installed a few back in the mid 90's to around 2002. For a sea going ship they would usually be contained in a fibreglass radome (supplied from Scotland). The internals would be gyro stabilised. A link to the last one I fitted (1.8m - 4018) and used for data supply as opposed to TVRO.

http://www.harriscaprock.com/downloads/SS_SpaceTrack4000.pdf

Many companies have since been swallowed up by larger fish.

timo_w2s

Retired Mod
Reaction score
Website
www.timo.me.uk
My Satellite Setup
See Signature
My Location
Maidenhead, UK & Helsinki, Finland
They should make the domes clear, that would be cool. This is a photo I took on a ferry between Finland and Sweden.

Attachments

• siljaline1.jpg
    siljaline1.jpg
    219.4 KB · Views: 33

Riverblue

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
See Signature
My Location
Near Brighton
So what's inside the dome CH? Is it still a dish of sorts with a lnb or something different?

sonnetpete

Reaction score
Website
wordpress.com
My Satellite Setup

My Location
Normandy, France
Something like this Martin...

apr13-2-600.jpg

(actually I'm just thinking that would look really cool on my lawn..)

Lazarus

Retired Moderator
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
80cm Motorised.
Several small Dishes.
Much else.
My Location
North York Moors
Very much the kind of thing I used to be involved in helping design back in my Marconi days. Mind you, it was just rudimentary Ship-Shore in those days. RTTY, yes; TV no!

sonnetpete

Reaction score
Website
wordpress.com
My Satellite Setup

My Location
Normandy, France
I was thinking....if I got one and someone objected, could I install some bulbs internally and say it was a large security light??