Help Required all UK channels have disappeared...

Reaction score
Website
www.independentliving.co.uk
My Satellite Setup
Elap motorised satellite dish and digital receiver disecq 1.2
My Location
Normandy, France
Hi – I hope someone can shed some light on what my problem might be.

Set up in Northern France with two satellite dishes feeding into one receiver, in order to receive French channels on Astra 19.2 and British on Astra 28.2. A couple of weeks ago, BBC and ITV channels stopped appearing, something they tend to do when the weather is bad, but this time they didn't come back.

I have fine tuned the satellites with a signal finder, reset the receiver and scanned for channels afresh. I have a full complement of German and other international channels from 28.2, but am completely unable to pick up any from Britain. I have tried manual scans of the transponders specified for BBC, ITV, etc without any success.

The signal strength/quality is shown as very good – 90% and over – and we are certainly comfortably within the footprint for British satellite reception.

I must be missing a trick somewhere – does anybody have any bright ideas?

Many thanks!

Analoguesat

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
TM 5402HD
Sky+ UK.
My Location
Scottish Borders
Sounds like your disecq switching is set wrong - if you are getting German channels on 28E then your receiver is scanning the 19E input!

sonnetpete

Grumpy Old Retired Moderator and quiz inquisitor..
Reaction score
Website
wordpress.com
My Satellite Setup
Laminas 1.2M fibre dish with an IBU, on a Clarke Tech USALS motor, covering 57E - 24.5W to an Octagon SX88. Displayed on a 20" Dyon LED TV.

Seperate 80 cm dish on 28E with a Humax Freesat for SWMBO.
Free Sat V8 meter. Sony Bravia 46" LCD, Sony BluRay and Home Cinema.
My Location
Normandy, France
I'd also check your connections and cable for water ingress if you've had problems with rain fade (though maybe you are using a zone 1 dish).

Reaction score
Website
My Satellite Setup
My Location
Normandy, France
Thanks for replying so quickly. I have always had a mix of German channels and other stuff, as well as British channels from 28.2, as far as I can tell. The receiver allows you to switch between output from each of the two satellites, and there is a multitude of European channels as well as UK showing up. The LNB setup is showing 19.2 for switch 1 and 28.2 for switch 2.

Reaction score
Website
My Satellite Setup
My Location
Normandy, France
I'd also check your connections and cable for water ingress if you've had problems with rain fade (though maybe you are using a zone 1 dish).

Cables and connections all check out okay – tried that before getting into the painful procedure of using the satellite signal finder!

Analoguesat

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
TM 5402HD
Sky+ UK.
My Location
Scottish Borders
Your switch may have failed - its defaulting to port 1.

Analoguesat

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
TM 5402HD
Sky+ UK.
My Location
Scottish Borders
And double check how the receiver is set up - any possibility of toddlers fiddling with remote controls??

Reaction score
Website
My Satellite Setup
My Location
Normandy, France
Definitely no toddlers! I wonder about the switch, though – do you think that the receiver would still be saying that it was showing content from the second satellite input, even while actually showing channels from 19.2?

Analoguesat

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
TM 5402HD
Sky+ UK.
My Location
Scottish Borders
Yes - the receiver just uses an internal database of frequencies. It doesnt know its scanning 13E, 19E, 28E or whatever.

It just scans its frequency list assigned to that position.

Now the same set of frequencies are used on various satellite positions so where the database list coincides with an active frequency transmitting using the same parameters it will scan the channels in. As 19E & 28E are both operated by SES it makes things even more likely to scan in as SES use the same frequency plans at each orbital slot.

Reaction score
Website
My Satellite Setup
My Location
Normandy, France
Your switch may have failed - its defaulting to port 1.

Thank you! I realised I had a spare switch - just swapped them over, and you are absolutely correct, the switch must have died - I have scanned with the new switch, and now have a full complement of British channels - and a happy hubby! :)

Lazarus

Retired Moderator
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
80cm Motorised.
Several small Dishes.
Much else.
My Location
North York Moors
You might even be able to restore the old switch by sharply tapping it with the butt of a screwdriver: They contain a simple relay and these are highly prone to sticking.

Then again, I'm a Yorkshireman and jib at the meagre cost of buying a replacement!

Analoguesat

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
TM 5402HD
Sky+ UK.
My Location
Scottish Borders
Thank you! I realised I had a spare switch - just swapped them over, and you are absolutely correct, the switch must have died - I have scanned with the new switch, and now have a full complement of British channels - and a happy hubby! :)

Great stuff - glad to hear it was a nice simple fix.

Make sure the terminals are adequately waterproofed if the switch is outside or the cables will eventually fill with water :D

I had a cable joint fail a couple of years ago, and when I disconnected the cable at the lnb I watched in absolute astonishment as a good couple of pints of water dribbled out!
:-lmao

Reaction score
Website
My Satellite Setup
My Location
Normandy, France
You might even be able to restore the old switch by sharply tapping it with the butt of a screwdriver: They contain a simple relay and these are highly prone to sticking.

Then again, I'm a Yorkshireman and jib at the meagre cost of buying a replacement!

LOL, always good to get some money-saving tips! I will give it a sharp tap, and see what happens!

Reaction score
Website
My Satellite Setup
My Location
Normandy, France
Great stuff - glad to hear it was a nice simple fix.

Make sure the terminals are adequately waterproofed if the switch is outside or the cables will eventually fill with water :D

I had a cable joint fail a couple of years ago, and when I disconnected the cable at the lnb I watched in absolute astonishment as a good couple of pints of water dribbled out!
:-lmao
Wow! I have the switch tucked up inside a little plastic box to keep it dry; there were a couple of tiny spiders in it when I opened up, but nothing more. That's an impressive amount of water to collect inside the cable! I'll bear it in mind something else to keep watch for...

Many thanks for all your help – much appreciated :)

hairybadger

Bricoleur
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
see sig
My Location
near Geneva, Haute-Savoie, France

Birmingham/Manchester or standard? :)

Lazarus

Retired Moderator
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
80cm Motorised.
Several small Dishes.
Much else.
My Location
North York Moors