alternative to sky tv it is too expensive

keith moore

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
want to know about satellite tv channels have sky at moment but to exspensive any alternative
My Location
london
I pay £100 a month to sky for all the movie channels and sports channels and entertainment channels only,
is there a cheaper way to watch these channels if I switch over to a motorised or fixed dish satellite channels
system,
so I pay about £1200 a year for subscribing to sky,

I live central London have balcony quite high up can I have motorised dish?
how much and what would I need to set this up.

how much could I save if I went motorised?

I only watch movies and football, boxing. I would like American boxing channel like hbo I think instead of paying ppv. through sky as its allways about £14.99 a fight.

I would like to multiroom 3 rooms in all so would I need 3 satellite boxes how much is the sat box? would I also need some kind of card to put in the sat box receivers?

Analoguesat

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
TM 5402HD
Sky+ UK.
My Location
Scottish Borders
Hi Keith, welcome to the forum.

How much will you save? - impossible to say:

Unfortunately there is no free alternative for much of the programming you want - movies are available in the clear on some of the foreign satellites but you may need a biggish dish even in London for the best satellites.

Sports, well there are feeds but they come and go and involve a lot of searching with no guarantee you will find any particular event. We do post a reasonable selection of the feeds that are found - and there are numerous sites around dedicated to them.

There are a reasonable amount of UK football games turning up every month, but the commentary is rarely in English and it tends to be the same game for the Prem 3pms.

HBO is not available via satellite in Europe free or pay.

keith moore

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
want to know about satellite tv channels have sky at moment but to exspensive any alternative
My Location
london
Hi Keith, welcome to the forum.

How much will you save? - impossible to say:

Unfortunately there is no free alternative for much of the programming you want - movies are available in the clear on some of the foreign satellites but you may need a biggish dish even in London for the best satellites.

Sports, well there are feeds but they come and go and involve a lot of searching with no guarantee you will find any particular event. We do post a reasonable selection of the feeds that are found - and there are numerous sites around dedicated to them.

There are a reasonable amount of UK football games turning up every month, but the commentary is rarely in English and it tends to be the same game for the Prem 3pms.

HBO is not available via satellite in Europe free or pay.
ohh ok thought it might ov been cheaper

keith moore

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
My Location
london
I pay £100 a month to sky for all the movie channels and sports channels and entertainment channels only,
is there a cheaper way to watch these channels if I switch over to a motorised or fixed dish satellite channels
system,
so I pay about £1200 a year for subscribing to sky,

I live central London have balcony quite high up can I have motorised dish?
how much and what would I need to set this up.

how much could I save if I went motorised?

I only watch movies and football, boxing. I would like American boxing channel like hbo I think instead of paying ppv. through sky as its allways about £14.99 a fight.

I would like to multiroom 3 rooms in all so would I need 3 satellite boxes how much is the sat box? would I also need some kind of card to put in the sat box receivers?
ok thanks for your quick reply

Analoguesat

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
TM 5402HD
Sky+ UK.
My Location
Scottish Borders
You could try cancelling - many folk find they get offered deals a few weeks after they cancel, BUT you must be prepared to go through with it as Sky are wise to the folk who just ring up and threaten to cancel in the hope of getting a discount.

keith moore

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
My Location
london
You could try cancelling - many folk find they get offered deals a few weeks after they cancel, BUT you must be prepared to go through with it as Sky are wise to the folk who just ring up and threaten to cancel in the hope of getting a discount.
hi
my contract with sky as finished I can pull out anytime I just wanted to know if going satellite with a dish would be cheaper.

A nonymous

Reaction score
If your on about getting it in the more dubious manner i really wouldn't bother. You have missed the boat by about 12 months. Sky are in the middle of securing their system to stop internet key sharing of their product.

For how much it would cost you to buy new receivers for what you want it really wouldn't be worth the risk considering the possibility of them going totally secure within the next six months or so.

If you want a cheap alternative i would look at Total TV on 16e. You can get a receiver and a 12 month sub for under £250. You will need at least an 80cm dish on 16e to get Total TV in your location.

Nano

keith moore

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
My Location
london
If your on about getting it in the more dubious manner i really wouldn't bother. You have missed the boat by about 12 months. Sky are in the middle of securing their system to stop internet key sharing of their product.

For how much it would cost you to buy new receivers for what you want it really wouldn't be worth the risk considering the possibility of them going totally secure within the next six months or so.

If you want a cheap alternative i would look at Total TV on 16e. You can get a receiver and a 12 month sub for under £250. You will need at least an 80cm dish on 16e to get Total TV in your location.

Nano
thanks for that information nano I really appreciated that. thanks

keith moore

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
My Location
london

Nano
hi nano does it have movies like sky is this it
http://www.lyngsat.com/packages/total.html

william-1

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
OP Gibertini 100 XP+ Inverto Black Ultra Lnb
Superior Dark Motor (160° max)
(50 east to 45 west)
Octagon SX88+Optima (A/B switch) Edision primo IP S2

Raven 88cm Mesh Dish + IBU Twin output
Stab100 H to H (120° max)
(53 east to 45 west)
Octagon SX88+ Ultra HD (A/B switch) Golden Interstar Alpha_X
My Location
Epping Forest Essex
All depends what you are prepared to settle for a motorised 100cm dish system will get you about 4000 tv channels fta some you would not have seen before but are very good ARTE HD 19.2 east & 13 east,
Your current package is very good but you are paying a very high price for it when you move to the FTA arena you will have to be prepared to do some research to find out what is available,
I mainly watch Films & Football & invariably am spoilt for choice most days but there are times when not a lot is available but the in is only costing me £35 a month for my Internet connection Phone & Free TV + Catch Up with BBC,ITV,C4 & C5. I never get time to watch all that is available to me.

Analoguesat

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
TM 5402HD
Sky+ UK.
My Location
Scottish Borders
The other thing to remember is you dont get full epgs on many foreign channels - its mainly little more than now & next if you get anything so you wont be planning your viewing hours or days in advance like you do with Sky UK....

keith moore

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
My Location
london
All depends what you are prepared to settle for a motorised 100cm dish system will get you about 4000 tv channels fta some you would not have seen before but are very good ARTE HD 19.2 east & 13 east,
Your current package is very good but you are paying a very high price for it when you move to the FTA arena you will have to be prepared to do some research to find out what is available,
I mainly watch Films & Football & invariably am spoilt for choice most days but there are times when not a lot is available but the in is only costing me £35 a month for my Internet connection Phone & Free TV + Catch Up with BBC,ITV,C4 & C5. I never get time to watch all that is available to me.
hi William what do you have if I get same equipment as you think id be happy with that, £35 a month is really good
can you tell me what I would need dish sat box receiver etc card?

Analoguesat

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
TM 5402HD
Sky+ UK.
My Location
Scottish Borders
hi William what do you have if I get same equipment as you think id be happy with that, £35 a month is really good

Thats just his £35 a month for Internet connection Phone & Free TV+ Catch Up with BBC,ITV,C4 & C5

Equipment & foreign subs on top of that

william-1

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
OP Gibertini 100 XP+ Inverto Black Ultra Lnb
Superior Dark Motor (160° max)
(50 east to 45 west)
Octagon SX88+Optima (A/B switch) Edision primo IP S2

Raven 88cm Mesh Dish + IBU Twin output
Stab100 H to H (120° max)
(53 east to 45 west)
Octagon SX88+ Ultra HD (A/B switch) Golden Interstar Alpha_X
My Location
Epping Forest Essex

As quoted in post #14 just a VM card for Free channels & catch up+Satellite system as per my info in the left column that receives FTA satellite no card used.

A guide to FTA TV in Europe:-
http://www.flysat.com/fta-europe.php

gibertini

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
DM800HDSE SIM 2.10 80CM ORBITAL FIXED@28.2E
My Location
53.6N 2.4W
theres a wealth of choice available on other satellites if you get a motorised dish... if you are prepared to read and put the work in then movies,football,kids ect is all out there without going into the dodgy world of cs ect... if you just want to plug in and watch then a sub like total tv as suggested but its all out there in this fantastic hobby but you only get out what you put in

keith moore

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
My Location
london
theres a wealth of choice available on other satellites if you get a motorised dish... if you are prepared to read and put the work in then movies,football,kids ect is all out there without going into the dodgy world of cs ect... if you just want to plug in and watch then a sub like total tv as suggested but its all out there in this fantastic hobby but you only get out what you put in
hi thanks for your replys just wondered what foreign channels if any can I add on my sky hd box, I know it says you can add 50 channels just wondered what frequencies etc to put in.

Analoguesat

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
TM 5402HD
Sky+ UK.
My Location
Scottish Borders
Forget trying to use a Sky UK box for anything apart from Sky. Its clunky in the extreme, and often just doesnt work very well.. You can get a cheap fta receiver for around 50 quid that will literally give you access to the world.

keith moore

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
My Location
london
Forget trying to use a Sky UK box for anything apart from Sky. Its clunky in the extreme, and often just doesnt work very well.. You can get a cheap fta receiver for around 50 quid that will literally give you access to the world.
thanks ill look it up

keith moore

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
My Location
london

Nano
hi nano
I had a satellite guy come down from a company he said I would be better off staying with sky? because he said your sky dish is pointing only just to the right side of a tower block to recieve sky, so I wouldn't be able to pick up any more satellites cause im on the wrong side of the block of flats, so would a total tv box work with my sky dish? or any other receiver?