Anti C/S - Sky UK

packetstormer

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
1.1m Triax dish, TM2300 motor. 2 x DM800HD, 1 DM500, 2 x Sly HD. 1 60cm fixed (Astra 2D).
My Location
Ireland
I was talking to a guy the other day who is reasonably high up in the technical department of Sky. He was telling me very little but did intimate the the anti C/S measures they are switching on soon are very "imaginitive", as he put it. He wouldn't tell me anything further but I am just wondering if anyone has any leaks, or ideas on what might be coming and how, in theory, they can't stop it without hugh changes to STBs, cards and software but this guy was smiling away to himself!

Analoguesat

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
TM 5402HD
Sky+ UK.
My Location
Scottish Borders
Well we know that the last big update to the stb software (3-4 months ago) was specifically to implement the new anti c/s measures but apart from that its all guesswork afaik.

Topper

Amo Amas Amant Admin
Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Has gone to a good home elsewhere
My Location
Blackburn, Lancashire
We can of course all speculate, I would think that the only parameter that could become useful to them to determine if C/S is taking place is the time taken to decode and if it takes longer than a single card setup then a scenario could be invoked on the data stream. Others who have been involved in DM sharing may know better.

Robbo

Retired Mod
Reaction score
Website
www.mbcsatellites.co.uk
My Satellite Setup
TM6800HD, TM1000, TM600 Linux,TM2200 motor, Channel Master 1.2m motorised, TD110 dish Meter=Satlook Micro+G2 NIT
My Location
Gravesend,Kent,UK
One thing, surely it takes a lot longer to communicate over the net to a card, than it does to one in the same box.

peppey

Reaction score
I read in a pc magazine that connections of this nature will be stopped.

Topper

Amo Amas Amant Admin
Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
My Location
Blackburn, Lancashire
peppey said:
I read in a pc magazine that connections of this nature will be stopped.

Correct but the thread is about when and how that will be invoked for sky UK

packetstormer

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
1.1m Triax dish, TM2300 motor. 2 x DM800HD, 1 DM500, 2 x Sly HD. 1 60cm fixed (Astra 2D).
My Location
Ireland
Robbo said:
One thing, surely it takes a lot longer to communicate over the net to a card, than it does to one in the same box.

You'd think, wouldn't you. I read people talking about ecm response times on shares and notice that my softcam on a dreambox connects to it's own internal card (not sharing) and a higher time than the figures being talked about. Example, my ecm's of the card directly in my DM800 can run as high as 0.300, however, some of the sharers talk about ecm times of 0.100 and less.

By the smirk on this guys face I have a feeling they have come up with something nobody is expecting.
It'll be interesting!

oldfart

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
laminas 2.7 offset
Invacom Quattro LNB
Chayofa, Tenerife
DM8K
My Location
Tenerife
Might be talking out of my arse... but haven't sky italy been playing with this
Its to do with the number of requests made for ecm - if there are too many within a certain time - the card is being shared.

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
norteamerica satellites as echostar119 west etc.
My Location
Canada
Bingo, you got it.... That is very old here but effective. here is about a big one here, this happen 5 months ago ( how it kill many "cards")
Some explanation by xxxx
The CAM ID (Conditional Access Module ID) is a unique serial number attached to a legitimately subscribe card that essentially acts as the "key" to authorize viewing (by responding correctly to all the code

It should be no big surprise to assume that agents of the big providers are using IKS boxes themselves in order to learn to "counter-reverse-engineer" the piraxxx. Most of you would already know that IKS means Internet Key Sharing; that legitimately subscribed cards are used to send out the code or series of CWs (CodeWords) to allow decryption of signals - transmitted through a server - enabling TV viewing. The CAM ID (Conditional Access Module ID) is a unique serial number attached to a legitimately subscribe card that essentially acts as the "key" to authorize viewing (by responding correctly to all the code protocols).

The providers successfully tracked down these subbed cards used by the IKS and XXX systems through a simple process and shut them down (disabled the CAMids). Those postulating about the process believed that the providers used a trojan (a virus) to trick the "offending cards" to be identified when sending out the CW. Whatever the "counter-reverse-engineering" process is is really immaterial for poor laymen like us.

What is important is to try to figure out what is keeping the big IKS boys "dark" and how long this situation will persist. Some say it is the end! Repent! Other say the smart ones (like xx) are trying to "clean their system of the virus" and "reverse engineer" the loophole that caused the IKS system to get compromised.

In this era of "reverse engineering" and "counter-counter-espionage", it remains a "cat and mouse game". One thing is certain, neither parties in this battle are patting themselves on the back with their accomplishment - not the PROVIDERS and not the REVERSE ENGINEERS. It is no longer simply "preventing signal piracy" that matters. It is a BATTLE OF WITS: one party saying, "I got you this time", while the other party says, "That's what you think!"
The solution is not merely to install security measures to block CAMid compromises. Their biggest challenge is develop some sort of a firewall to block data traffic to and from the server - much like using an encryption code between receiver and server.
"They were down for 1 months" Last one was about use the EPG for causing the CCE (Channel Change Error) disable the chanel change on the receiver, just one channel, last about 2 weeks, I hope somebody here post about the kind of ECM in this zone,

Topper

Amo Amas Amant Admin
Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
My Location
Blackburn, Lancashire
juanramirezone said:
I hope somebody here post about the kind of ECM in this zone,
That is unlikely until they are implemented and somebody knows what they are. but if I know Sky they will wait until 5 minutes before the first live footy match of the season then :-saw

packetstormer

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
My Location
Ireland
Topper said:
That is unlikely until they are implemented and somebody knows what they are. but if I know Sky they will wait until 5 minutes before the first live footy match of the season then :-saw

I was thinking this too but then it would be very easy for some(all) the shares to go offline around this time (electivley) and just watch the messages boards to see if anyone's card was fried. If it was, then at least they can power back up their original Sky box and their card is saved!!

I would be thinking Sky would be sneakier and implement this at 2am some random morning, setting up a dark morning for the sharers!

pipino

Back from the dead
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
2X Channel Master 1.20 , 1X Channel Master1.80 ,1X Channel Master 2.40, Motorized Gibertini OP150 , Motorized Fibo MF90 ,, 70cm eliptical raven ..hirschmann fibre glass 1.20m
My Location
Comunidad Valenciana..ESPAÑA
if they always use smart card and box separatly they can do fook all :D

PaulR

Dazed and Confused Admin
Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
-----------See sig-----------
My Location
Wirral, NW UK and Vaucluse, France.
I don't understand what you're getting at.