Asbestos in wallboard? Or just old type plasterboard?

PoloMint

Super Minty Mod
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
1200cc with 100,000,000,000 neurons and 100,000,000,000,000 connections
My Location
Fife, Scotland
Can anyone comment on the wallboard in the attached picture?

The flat was built in the late 60s. The material looks very thin and the wrong texture to be plasterboard, it reminds me of an asbestos cement board covered in a thick paper layer on each side.

All internal walls are this stuff on joists, the joints are filled then all wallpapered over. Could this be a gypsum board or some other material I'm not familiar with?

Attachments

• wallboard.jpg
    wallboard.jpg
    112.4 KB · Views: 958

irart

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Sky Freesat in UK,
Astra 1 ana/dig in UK
using Technomate -5000 DAPCI,
Astra 2 South Beam and Eurobird in Spain.
My Location
Cornwall, UK
Difficult to tell from the photo. It could be asbestos. Manufacturers used asbestos in all sorts of products in the 50's and 60's. If I were you I would seek professional advice.

T_G

The Consumate Dreamer
Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
1 GigaBlue Quad plus, 1 Dreambox 5620, MOTECK SG2100A DISEqC Motor, 120 cm noname offset dish, Humax 95 cm offset dish and a few UK digiboxes.
My Location
Somewhere where the Sauer is Kraut and the Wurst is Brat
irart said:
If I were you I would seek professional advice.

We've been telling him that for years now :-rofl2

Seriously, if the place is full of this, as you said, you should really find out what it is. The problem with asbestos, as you know, is that as long as it is in one piece and it's fibres don't fly about it is relatively ok. But once you start drilling into it for instance the flying particles are nasty. Best to find out.

johnsattuk

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Topfield 5800 Echostar3000,DB7000, Relook 400S, Humax HDC2000, 55cm Fibo Gregorian dish with waveguide and Motek 2100 mod, 90cm Fibo Gregorian dish, 120cm Fibo Gregorian dish on a 1224 motor with waveguide
My Location
West Mids, UK
irart said:
Difficult to tell from the photo. It could be asbestos. Manufacturers used asbestos in all sorts of products in the 50's and 60's. If I were you I would seek professional advice.

Generally because asbestos was a very expensive material it was only used in a product which needed it's special properties, such as very high temperature resistance, high tensile strength, affinity to cement, good filtration.

Wall boards containing asbestos were used extensively on ships and for cladding the steel framing of buildings as fire protection but would not usually be used for domestic wall cladding because of cost. Sometimes used for the ceilings of internal garages.

PoloMint

Super Minty Mod
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
1200cc with 100,000,000,000 neurons and 100,000,000,000,000 connections
My Location
Fife, Scotland
Thanks for the replies.

If it was expensive and not a standard thing to put in wallboards that's a bit of reassurance. I was concerned it might have been a cheap product and the norm to put it in all walls.

There isn't any remodelling planned so the walls shouldn't be disturbed too much and I will try and keep drilling down to a minimum just in case. Paying someone to run a test seems like the only way to know for sure but I don't see that happening unless it becomes necessary at some point in the future.