Not open for further replies.

mr420

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
DM8000HD . Vu+ Solo HD
T90 1w 5e 13e , Triax 110 + Inverto Black Ultra Quad
My Location
Drammen , Norway
i am looking for swedish maybe i will get cheaper than here in Norway :=)

Simon Ansell

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
150cm prime focus Inverto black ultra quad, Sky Hd box with subscription
My Location
Bergen Norway
As luck would have it I was driving through Bergen today and saw an old satellite dish sitting in someones driveway, 2 mins later the owner is happy to give it away! So.... the question I'm asking is will it work for Sky HD ok? I have attached some pics of the lnb which had some small wires cut going to a box on the back (no idea what that is for) and was wondering if I can use my Inverto Black Ultra or do I have to buy a new one just for this dish?
The dish is about 150cm and the LNB has this on it "gegasat GSE 5000 lnb"

ANY advice as always is greatly received! :-)image-2.jpegimage-3.jpegimage-2.jpegimage-3.jpegimage.jpegimage-3.jpegimage.jpeg

timo_w2s

Retired Mod
Reaction score
Website
www.timo.me.uk
My Satellite Setup
See Signature
My Location
Maidenhead, UK & Helsinki, Finland
That LNB is very old (!) and is no good for a modern box (those cut off cables from the polariser were an old way to changing polarity before LNBs started using built-in polarisers using the voltage from the coax). The dish looks like a prime focus dish so a Black Ultra is not really suitable. You need a C120 type LNB and perhaps a new feedhorn. I'm sure others can advise on that. I use an Invacom Quad QDF-031 with good results on a 1.8m dish. The single and twin versions are apparently not as good.

la9thjohn

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Skybox Pace 9foco2, 180cm Luxor cassegrain antenna. Invacom LNB C120 0,3db.
My Location
Trondheim, Norway
Until February does my equipmwnt work very good both for BBC 1 2 3 and ITV channels. But now nothing!! Tried to adjust my dish. It seems to be good signal from the satellite whwn I use the satfinder. But the Skybox shows no signalstrenght and quality. Input 1 shows (4WWW-WWWA. System health check 15. Any help?:)

timo_w2s

Retired Mod
Reaction score
Website
www.timo.me.uk
My Satellite Setup
See Signature
My Location
Until February does my equipmwnt work very good both for BBC 1 2 3 and ITV channels. But now nothing!! Tried to adjust my dish. It seems to be good signal from the satellite whwn I use the satfinder. But the Skybox shows no signalstrenght and quality. Input 1 shows (4WWW-WWWA. System health check 15. Any help?:)
You are quite far from the new UK footprints. It could be difficult...

Without knowing what kind of signal you are getting now it's hard to tell what you need to do.

Edit: According to one report from Trondheim on Analoguesat's map someone is getting a "good" signal on a 1.8m so there is hope.

Analoguesat

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
TM 5402HD
Sky+ UK.
My Location
Scottish Borders

Welcome to the forum.

Your dish appears to be big enough for Trondheim if its correctly listed in your profile.

So now you need to start troubleshooting. Things to consider:

Has the dish moved in gales - you wouldnt need much movement to knock out Astra 2E's minuscule signal!

Unplug the box, unscrew the top and carefully look at the capacitors around the power supply area. You may find they are bulging or leaking.

Is the satfinder showing a good signal at the cables at the back of the tv - water ingress after cable damage is quite possible

Is one of the lnb outputs faulty - assuming you have a twin or quad lnb.

la9thjohn

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Skybox Pace 9foco2, 180cm Luxor cassegrain antenna. Invacom LNB C120 0,3db.
My Location
Trondheim, Norway
Welcome to the forum.

Your dish appears to be big enough for Trondheim if its correctly listed in your profile.

So now you need to start troubleshooting. Things to consider:

Has the dish moved in gales - you wouldnt need much movement to knock out Astra 2E's minuscule signal!

Unplug the box, unscrew the top and carefully look at the capacitors around the power supply area. You may find they are bulging or leaking.

Is the satfinder showing a good signal at the cables at the back of the tv - water ingress after cable damage is quite possible

Is one of the lnb outputs faulty - assuming you have a twin or quad lnb.
Thanks for all good info. I thing I have to try another coax from the dish. The lenght is about 18 -20 m, and the cable is quite old, about 20 years I think. When I use the satfinder just behind the dish I got better display on it than back of the receiver. It is a lot of difference. The dish is very sharp, and I am certainly sure that it is in right direction. Anyway, I am living west of Trondheim about 15km, and therefore I think it is a better chance to receive the satellite than in Trondheim city. Its a single LNB, and think the satbox is ok. All menys is working and the voltage up t0 the LNB is ok.

timo_w2s

Retired Mod
Reaction score
Website
www.timo.me.uk
My Satellite Setup
See Signature
My Location
Thanks for all good info. I thing I have to try another coax from the dish. The lenght is about 18 -20 m, and the cable is quite old, about 20 years I think. When I use the satfinder just behind the dish I got better display on it than back of the receiver. It is a lot of difference. The dish is very sharp, and I am certainly sure that it is in right direction. Anyway, I am living west of Trondheim about 15km, and therefore I think it is a better chance to receive the satellite than in Trondheim city. Its a single LNB, and think the satbox is ok. All menys is working and the voltage up t0 the LNB is ok.
An old damaged cable might not have shown any problems when the signal was strong but now that the new satellites have a tighter beam the weaker signals might not get through. Let us know how you get on.

satiwi

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Aerial 2.4, Aerial Feedhorn, Inverto Ultra Pro, DM8000HDse
My Location
Riihimaki Finland
Although not quite on 2E (But Related) dos anyone have experience of the signal level in Sth Finland of IS-907 27.5W (11495V) which carries BBS satback. I can get a weak signal on a 1.2m dish but Hispasat at 30W makes it hard to get an accurate dish alignment. As I am shooting through a gap in the forest jsut want to know what dish size anyone else might be using. Intelsat indicates that signal level should be 50dBw so around 65 cm dish should in theory do it

timo_w2s

Retired Mod
Reaction score
Website
www.timo.me.uk
My Satellite Setup
See Signature
My Location
Although not quite on 2E (But Related) dos anyone have experience of the signal level in Sth Finland of IS-907 27.5W (11495V) which carries BBS satback. I can get a weak signal on a 1.2m dish but Hispasat at 30W makes it hard to get an accurate dish alignment. As I am shooting through a gap in the forest jsut want to know what dish size anyone else might be using. Intelsat indicates that signal level should be 50dBw so around 65 cm dish should in theory do it
No problem with an 80cm in Helsinki, assuming you have the keys.... (Amazing still not public fro what I can tell)

satiwi

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
My Location
Riihimaki Finland
Thanks Timo,
I still can't lock 11495v although can see a few peaks on my budget signal meter. Now waiting for usb sat box to run crazy scan and identify with spectrum analyser. I think I have an issue with my dm800 se clone not locking the high symbol rate, so will need to check my firmware and image/tuner drivers once I confirm transponder reception.
Next job is the Biss..seems you can extract yourself if you have enough pc grunt, the software and a little patience.

Captain Jack

Burnt out human
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
See signature
My Location
North Somerset
You won't get 27.5W on a Dreambox...

satiwi

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
My Location
Riihimaki Finland
Its a clone, the bcm45405 tuner supports up to 45 Mb/s and with Open Pli 4.0 patched drivers it is not an issue, at least from the forum reports.

Captain Jack

Burnt out human
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
See signature
My Location
North Somerset
I was under the impression that patched drivers only applied to Vu+ boxes... Could be wrong though

satiwi

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
My Location
Riihimaki Finland
Openpli runs nicely and the Bcm4505 supports the symbol rate. There are very detailed threads on precisely this setup for the later stages once I get past this annoying signal issue. Just need to confirm I can get the sat. I'd also not be happy to buy a Technomate box & then find they change to powervu.

Captain Jack

Burnt out human
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
See signature
My Location
North Somerset
Are we talking about the same patch? BBC et al TP has encrypted PMT that only Technomate and Dr HD boxes are able to decrypt natively. High SR shouldn't be a problem there...

satiwi

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
My Location
Riihimaki Finland
Aaaah...The clone requires patched drivers to run OpenPli, VU and DB are/were directly supported (DB no longer since source code has been pulled out of public domain). OpenPli driver for the tuner are my current concern so no, not same patch. Re PMT which is carried in the encypted stream, there are recently developed scripts to handle that, its a little involved to setup but is reported as working.

Simon Ansell

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
150cm prime focus Inverto black ultra quad, Sky Hd box with subscription
My Location
Bergen Norway
Ok..... I now have a 1.5 m prime focus dish running with an invert black pro lnb and matching feedhorn BUT I'm getting a worse signal than i am with my 110cm offset with invert black ultra. Why can this be???

Ask

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Prime focus 120cm al. dish, V2-box/actuator and quad Invacom LNB.(28,2E--15 satellites--40,5W). IPbox 9000HD.
My Location
Norway
Ok..... I now have a 1.5 m prime focus dish running with an invert black pro lnb and matching feedhorn BUT I'm getting a worse signal than i am with my 110cm offset with invert black ultra. Why can this be???

First of all must the alignment of the dish be in place. Can you adjust the elevation by more than "lifting" the dish?
Is it possible to move the feedhorn/LNB "away" from the dish?
At my place, I got more than 1dB better signal by moving the feedhorn/LNB 7mm further out.

satiwi

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
My Location
Riihimaki Finland
:) Finally got a lock on 27.5W on the Dreambox. Multiple problems...matching LNB to dish...ground noise requiring upside down mounting of the antenna and very, very precise positioning of the mounting pole to align the satellite view through the small gap in the trees. Lots of fun though.. almost more than getting my 2.4 working(Pix also attached). Now comes the fun bit.. before any channels can be enjoyed.

Attachments

• P1040256.jpg
    P1040256.jpg
    85.1 KB · Views: 97
  • P1040261.jpg
    P1040261.jpg
    77.2 KB · Views: 106
  • P1040257.jpg
    P1040257.jpg
    53.3 KB · Views: 98
  • P1040258.jpg
    P1040258.jpg