Astra 2E: Western Europe Reports

fredwinter

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
in course of buying equipment
My Location
france
Hello to all,
haven't been back here much since i am retired from the satellite business.
Looks like BBC and ITV has left our area since the switch over. Does anyone know if Cypress can pick it up with their big 4 meter dish systems? Also all 2 meter dishes can no longer pick it up here in the Naples area. I know someone that is mounting a 4 meter dish, not me, and i can keep you informed as he has laid the base and will be finished in the weeks to come.
Thanks
Ralph
try Arabsat 26E.

Lazarus

Retired Moderator
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
80cm Motorised.
Several small Dishes.
Much else.
My Location
North York Moors
Your 26E "Satellite" is just a simple data table: If you select 26E and the dish duly moves there, then you scan, you will easily pick up 28E when you scan "26E" as the 28E signals are so very strong and because your small dish cannot easily discriminate.

A bigger dish can discriminate better, but even 90cm or 1m dishes (which naturally have narrower beamwidth) in UK and France are tricky to set up to get 26E whilst also rejecting 28E.

Believe me, if BBC and ITV were on 26E, the whole Satellite world would know and most of our Forum debates would be irrelevant.

ralphmagno

Reaction score
My Location
naples italy
BBC and ITV are not on 26 degree sat. Go to Lyngsat and check all the frequencies. BBc world news is there. Not the same. A 4 meter is being mounted and we should know something soon.

fredwinter

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
in course of buying equipment
My Location
france
Your 26E "Satellite" is just a simple data table: If you select 26E and the dish duly moves there, then you scan, you will easily pick up 28E when you scan "26E" as the 28E signals are so very strong and because your small dish cannot easily discriminate.

A bigger dish can discriminate better, but even 90cm or 1m dishes (which naturally have narrower beamwidth) in UK and France are tricky to set up to get 26E whilst also rejecting 28E.

Believe me, if BBC and ITV were on 26E, the whole Satellite world would know and most of our Forum debates would be irrelevant.

You learn something every day.

Robert Mallett

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
90 cm Visiosat dish, MTI LNB Humax receiver
My Location
Southern France Nr St.Tropez
90 cm dish MTI LNB Humax freeview.

Cloudy (well foggy actually) and light rain last night. All channels OK but as the rain got heavier so channels started to break up, BBC 1&2 HD ITVHD Ch.5 became unwatchable but BBC SD channels still OK.

I tested a 120cm last Saturday in thick cloud and light rain, all channels OK except BBC 1 & 2 HD, a little dish tweak and a slight rotate of the LNB skew and they came back straight away.

Perhaps an update on the map would help others in my area - postcode 83680 La Garde Freinet for both of these.

Mod. Note: Moved from separate Topic, for continuity.

Last edited by a moderator:

Tatra Man

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
UK:-
Mini-dish - Panasonic TX-P50VT65B, DMR-BS850EBK & $ky box
Old dish - SAGEM ISD91 TNT-SAT HD box
Steerable 80cm dish - Fortec-Star Passion HD box

France:-
Gibertini 125cm - Inverto Black Ultra - Panasonic TH50-PZ81B & DMR-BS750EBK + Pace $ky box
My Location
Buckinghamshire (UK) & The Cerdagne (France)
France (66800) which is almost on the Spanish border.

I was hoping to get away with a Gibertini 125 (125x130) with an Inverto Black Ultra and have once (lunchtime on 26/02/2014), while setting it up, managed to get BBC1 Oxford on an old Pace $ky SD box but never managed to repeat it.

It looks like I may be on the Northern edge of the Barcelona dead zone so this is relevant to the Iberia thread too.

By the way - which thread includes Andorra and Llívía?

Analoguesat

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
TM 5402HD
Sky+ UK.
My Location
Scottish Borders
Andorra falls into both the west Europe and the Balearics areas so it doesnt really matter which thread is used. :)

Lazarus

Retired Moderator
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
80cm Motorised.
Several small Dishes.
Much else.
My Location
North York Moors
Use either this one or the Iberia one: It makes little difference now as new reports are becoming more sparse: We created very rough regions simply to make life in general a little easier for when it was busy, but any boundary drawn is going to be unsatisfactory in some respects.

Edit: Bu**er!! ^^^^^^^ :-rofl2

Tatra Man

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup

Gibertini 125cm - Inverto Black Ultra - Panasonic TH50-PZ81B & DMR-BS750EBK + Pace $ky box
My Location
Well Andorra certainly isn't in the Balearics! - It's land-locked and almost all of it is more than 1Km above sea level!!

Lazarus

Retired Moderator
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
80cm Motorised.
Several small Dishes.
Much else.
My Location
North York Moors
It really doesn't matter: Our rough groupings were not intended to be faithful to any criteria other than to reduce our workload.

Analoguesat

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
TM 5402HD
Sky+ UK.
My Location
Scottish Borders
As Tivu says any regionalisation of the threads is going to be unsatisfactory somewhere

The threads are just an attempt to bring some order to the reports & discussions. One big thread with a few thousand posts & reports in it very quickly become unwieldy and horrible to trawl through when you are looking for info from your general area.

Andorra is a lovely little countery - I had a grand couple of weeks in Arinsal a few years ago :)

PaulR

Dazed and Confused Admin
Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
-----------See sig-----------
My Location
Wirral, NW UK and Vaucluse, France.
And as Llívía is a totally enclosed enclave (just) within France I would suggest France. Do you know anyone in Llívía trying to get 2E/F?

And I think we know each other from the Astra2 forum, don't we?

Tatra Man

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup

My Location
Well I can see Llívía from here! It's border is about 1Km away - and you may be right about other forums - I've been trying to garner as much information as possible before spending my pension but it looks like the Gibertini was just that fraction too small and could well be available to someone needing a 125x130 good quality aluminium dish.

I assume you ski too, Analoguesat. Off-topic but I hope you tried Arcalis while you were there. From here I can see Puigmal & Font Romeu so if you feel like hitting the pistes again . . . . . . . . .

(And please forgive me for finding the concept of Andorra being a Mediterranean island somewhat amusing.)

Analoguesat

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
TM 5402HD
Sky+ UK.
My Location
Scottish Borders
No not skiiing - a summer visit to do some walking :)

It was lovely and quiet in Arisal - shame about the horrible partially completed shell of a hotel up the top of the town!

phoneypet

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
1.2m dish, Humax HDR, Sky+ HD
My Location
Aude, France
A reception report for you to update the map.
From about 42 56 N 2 27 E (half way between Carcassonne and Perpignan in Southern France) all channels ok on a 1.2m dish, though I did lose the BBC (at least) for five minutes this morning between 11:05 and 11:10. Did anyone else notice this? No significant weather as far as I could see. The loss included BBC Radio 4 for the first time.
Neighbours report loss of the spot beam contents with 60cm dishes.

(Tried using the link http://tinyurl.com/d6ozcrp given on the map page to sign up, but it gives an error "The requested forum could not be found.")

PaulR

Dazed and Confused Admin
Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
-----------See sig-----------
My Location
Wirral, NW UK and Vaucluse, France.
..., though I did lose the BBC (at least) for five minutes this morning between 11:05 and 11:10. Did anyone else notice this?
That will be what is called the Solar Outage. It takes place twice a year when the sun passes exactly behind the satellite. It happens over a period of 4 - 6 days until the sun is lower (or higher) and no longer directly in line.

phoneypet

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
1.2m dish, Humax HDR, Sky+ HD
My Location
Aude, France
That will be what is called the Solar Outage
PaulR - thanks for the information - just coincidence then! Not obvious with the sun hidden by the clouds.