Astra 2F at 28.2E: General Discussion

cazhh

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Laminas 180cm, Invacom Quad with Gib Feedhorn, 28.2 + 19.2, dreambox & tbs5922
My Location
Elmshorn, Schleswig-Holstein
Same here, all time high, very nice!! And no conspiracy: according to SES the signal can vary from 33 dBW to 39 dBW at my location.

Where did you get that from ?

bema

Reaction score
Website
www.sm6muy.se
My Satellite Setup
TV server: Linux Ubuntu 14.04 LTS
TvHeadend 4.1-1355
TBS6904 (Quad DVB-S/S2)
Dish: TD110, Inverto black ultra quattro
TBS6205 (Quad DVB-T/T2)
Ant: UHF 100 El Triax, dir N
Client: Kodi v14.2 etc
My Location
Sweden
bema, I looked at your graphs for today and it seems like you had nearly no signal on a couple of transponders around noon. The BBC transponder (11023H) suddenly seems to have been blacked out, while Channel 4 (11126V) faded out. What would cause such a black out like the one you had on 11023H?

I think it's the demodulator. 11023 is 8-PSK and 11126 is QPSK. The signal don't goes down to "zero". I just cant measure it below an certain level. This level is different for QPSK and 8-PSK There is also some graph filtering so you have to study raw data to be sure. If it continue like this, the UK beam will soon be the Scandinavian beam..:) Hope the null will move fast over me...

mickwig

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
240cm Raven Offset, Invacomm Quad LNB;
120 cm Kathrein PF Polarmount, Kathrein Quattro LNB
90cm Astra1 dish;
Samsung LED TV with built-in DVB-S, Panasonic BlueRay Rec with Twin-Tuner, Panasonic BSkyB-Box 1.Generation; TBS5925 USB Card
My Location
49.77N;11.41E Pottenstein, Germany
Where did you get that from ?
Schleswig Holstein has got a even wider spectrum: 30 dBW (just east of Kiel) and 39 dBW round Hamburg then back to 30 dBW near Bremen and then up it goes.

cazhh

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Laminas 180cm, Invacom Quad with Gib Feedhorn, 28.2 + 19.2, dreambox & tbs5922
My Location
Elmshorn, Schleswig-Holstein
Schleswig Holstein has got a even wider spectrum: 30 dBW (just east of Kiel) and 39 dBW round Hamburg then back to 30 dBW near Bremen and then up it goes.

I don't understand. tell me in the other forum in german pls :-)

mickwig

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
90cm Astra1 dish;
Samsung LED TV with built-in DVB-S, Panasonic BlueRay Rec with Twin-Tuner, Panasonic BSkyB-Box 1.Generation; TBS5925 USB Card
My Location
I experience the same effect on my Receivers. 11023 just drops dead under 16% whereas lets say 11053 holds out to 11% and the drops dead.

mickwig

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
90cm Astra1 dish;
My Location
No good for you timo, it Ends in just below the Baltic sea.

Also, i have noticed ist only really accurate at my location.

timo_w2s

Retired Mod
Reaction score
Website
www.timo.me.uk
My Satellite Setup
See Signature
My Location
Maidenhead, UK & Helsinki, Finland
No good for you timo, it Ends in just below the Baltic sea.

Also, i have noticed ist only really accurate at my location.

Ah, if you mean the 2F euro beam, yeah it's not good in Finland, I can just about get it on a 1.8m but some transponders break up during the weaker periods and in rain.

PaulR

Dazed and Confused Admin
Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
-----------See sig-----------
My Location
Wirral, NW UK and Vaucluse, France.
Can they not tell us here? I'm curious too.
We certainly don't mind posts in non-English as long as there's an English translation to accompany it.

mickwig

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
90cm Astra1 dish;
My Location
No, I mean the UK beam. Euro beam is no Problem down here.

timo_w2s

Retired Mod
Reaction score
Website
www.timo.me.uk
My Satellite Setup
See Signature
My Location
No, I mean the UK beam. Euro beam is no Problem down here.
Yes, I lost the UK beam in Finland when Astra 2D left. Given up hope of getting them back via Astra. Now it's just a question of if we can still get the Euro beam!

Br492

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
1,25x1,40 movable alu dish now pointing Astra 2 off center Astra 3
75cm center Astra 1 off center HotBird.
More to come
My Location
Preveza West Greece
I said it before,they should say it Central European beam.this is not a euro beam,not even close.no borders for euro citizens,jail for euro tv-citizens

mickwig

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
90cm Astra1 dish;
My Location
When MUTV moved to 2F I actally noticed a difference in signal strength. I can see that you lot out there have a problem. In the moment BBC1 HD on the 1N UK beam comes in with 100% 24/7. Only when the weather is really bad it drops down a tad. MUTV on the other hand only comes in now at about 75%, but no daily or seasons variation. It means, that the current 1N UK beam is stronger here than the 2F European beam. All 28.2 comes in on the 240 dish.

Last year when SES exchanges some birds on the 19.2 position, the Germans in greece were not amused since the same thing happened to them.

timo_w2s

Retired Mod
Reaction score
Website
www.timo.me.uk
My Satellite Setup
See Signature
My Location
I was quite surprised when I first saw the planned footprints, not what I was expecting at all. It's like a half arsed attempt at a wide beam.

It's a shame so much of the Euro beam on 2F and 2E is going into the Atlantic and not a bit more being beamed to the East. At least in Finland we've got the Polish hot spot to be thankful for to push a teeny tiny bit more signal our way and the Italian bulge should push a bit more signal to Greece.

Br492

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
1,25x1,40 movable alu dish now pointing Astra 2 off center Astra 3
75cm center Astra 1 off center HotBird.
More to come
My Location
Preveza West Greece
I am living at western Greece (preveza) and I have signal from the much called euro beam,not even a spark watching the spot beam from my tv explorer promax.and that with my 1,25*1.40 offset.but Europe starts from east of Rhodes (even Cyprus) and not from the Italian alps.if they call it euro beam should cover all of euroland.like the footprints of eutelsat.an I don't believe that it is so different to have reception with 40cm antenna in Central Europe or to have a 45cm and give all Europe signal for a 80cm-1m.but the point is elsewhere.back to the discussion here we have decent signal from 2f even in rain in all western north western Greece (Epirus,Corfu lefkada )at my knowledge.for the wide beam of course

Pride Of Cucamonga

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Cheap piece of junk Spanish (Tecatel) 120cm(x110) dish, Inverto Ultra twin LNB and Sky HD box.
My Location
Valencia (city)
At least in Finland we've got the Polish hot spot to be thankful for to push a teeny tiny bit more signal our way and the Italian bulge should push a bit more signal to Greece.

What on earth is this Polish hotspot for?

S

Steve Steve

As 2F Uk Signal is still at record high here.... (80% on the 100cm Dish)...........I've just found out there has been new channels just been added 2F UK spot beam....( ITV HD regions)......My Question is.... would more channels on 2F UK beam increase generally signal quality and or strength ?........."in other words" ......Are more transponders in action now?...and therefor better signal .......?...

Last edited by a moderator:

Pietclock

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
125cm
My Location
SE Germany 50°N/11°E
certainly not.... signal strength is only dependent on how the reflector is pointed towards earth. And it moved a bit to the south east.

S

Steve Steve

OK...thanks "Pietclock"......It certainly has moved quite a bit S/ E...... We will just have to hope this "signal boost" is permanent then......i was just trying to think of another possible reason why.....But its not the Weather.....

Last edited by a moderator: