Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
protek 9600,tm5400
2.4m on nilesat
1.8m on 36e
90cm motorised
My Location
worksop notts
Hi guys...could anyone tell me if there are any big dish suppliers in the uk...i know where to get an andrews,,but what about famaval or prodelin dish suppliers...i,m kinda thinking of a prodelin 3m..to replace my fortec 2.4...i,m getting the horizontals on it up to dinnertime and then again about 6.30 onwards,but would like to nail this bird 24/7 once and for all in all kinds of weather..

Channel Hopper

Suffering fools, so you don't have to.
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
www.sat-elite.uk
My Satellite Setup
A little less analogue, and a lot more crap.
My Location
UK
Which satellite and whereabouts are you in the UK ?

Many smaller dishes will be as good, if not better than the Fortec 2.4m

terriers

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
protek 9600,tm5400
2.4m on nilesat
1.8m on 36e
90cm motorised
My Location
worksop notts
Hi m8...i,m just slightly east of sheffield and forgot to tell you its nilesat it will be for...its taken a bit of faffing about to get the best out of it...but now i think its time to get a bit better quality to enable me get that 6 hours i miss in the afternoons...

Channel Hopper

Staff member
Reaction score
Website
www.sat-elite.uk
My Satellite Setup
My Location
UK
In that area a good single 2m dish (Precision ?) or an offset Channel Master/Andrew 1.8m should be able to pull in the signals.

futumsch

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
80cm dish, Pace MSS500 (analog) 19e
1m Channel Master fixed 26e, 1m dish, SG-100 motor, Inverto Black Ultra. Pace MSP 200, Humax F1 VACI
Jaeger 1224 mid restored. Fibo 1.2m.
My Location
Midlands, UK
Precision Antennas of Stratford were bought by Andrew (as they were then) ,now ASC Signal, a couple of years ago. Sadly, ASC no longer sell the Precision range of antennas, which is a shame, they are nice solid one piece aluminium dishes - even the 4.5m was a single piece of aluminium.

Channel Hopper

Staff member
Reaction score
Website
www.sat-elite.uk
My Satellite Setup
My Location
UK
I didn't say the o/p should consider new equipment. Precision (and Irte) dishes of the 2m size come up on auction sites every month or so, but they are often snapped up immediately.

The other difficulty is transportation of a single piece dish.

terriers

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
protek 9600,tm5400
2.4m on nilesat
1.8m on 36e
90cm motorised
My Location
worksop notts
Thanks for the replies guys i,ll keep an eye out for a 2m precision....meanwhile yesterday evening i decided to play about a bit to see if i could get any gains on the horizontals....and by altering the focal length,moving it in slightly i,v managed to gain another 3% signal quality...it seems the h/v focal lenghts are slightly different

Channel Hopper

Staff member
Reaction score
Website
www.sat-elite.uk
My Satellite Setup
My Location
UK
terriers said:
Thanks for the replies guys i,ll keep an eye out for a 2m precision....meanwhile yesterday evening i decided to play about a bit to see if i could get any gains on the horizontals....and by altering the focal length,moving it in slightly i,v managed to gain another 3% signal quality...it seems the h/v focal lenghts are slightly different

Then you have a problem with either the reflector panelling, or you are on one of the many sidelobes you will get on one of these dishes.

Have to gone through the motions of stringing it ?

terriers

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
protek 9600,tm5400
2.4m on nilesat
1.8m on 36e
90cm motorised
My Location
worksop notts
Yeah i did that when i put it up and all strings crossed at the same point...you cant just slap these up and expect them to perform well,,but by tinkering i think its performing quite well considering i,m almost in yorkshire,and getting the h,s most of the time....i really dont think an andrews 1.8 would perform any better, or i,d buy one...the guys with the 2.4 cm,s in the midlands are only just getting the horizontals and experience probs in the rain.....i tried an inverto c120 also and this wasnt as good as the invacom,although people say they,re better....

Robbo

Retired Mod
Reaction score
Website
www.mbcsatellites.co.uk
My Satellite Setup
TM6800HD, TM1000, TM600 Linux,TM2200 motor, Channel Master 1.2m motorised, TD110 dish Meter=Satlook Micro+G2 NIT
My Location
Gravesend,Kent,UK

ralphmagno

Reaction score
My Location
naples italy
hello,
what are you trying to pick up with shuc a big dish in the uk???

have a 900 kg 4 meter fixed dish here.
now deactivated bbc was no go here in naples
ralph

kimbo

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Technomate 1500, 90cm Dish, Mesh Computer ART, Digit Alb, Fortec 2.4m Dish
Channel Master 2.4m, Showtime.
My Location
West Midlands
Message for Terrier - Mate I have a 2.4 Channel Master pointed at Nilesat, You do realise that OSN Showtime have lost the football contract for next season, It has been bought by Abu Dhabi and nobody are sure what they will be doing with football yet, Also Nilesat 101 & 102 are to be replaced in the summer by Nilesat 201 & 202 which will have HD channels on it but we do not not know if the signal will be stronger or weaker. Interesting about the precision reflector though, I presume their 3m would out perform the Channel Master 2.4m any thoughts guy's.

Channel Hopper

Staff member
Reaction score
Website
www.sat-elite.uk
My Satellite Setup
My Location
UK
A 3m dish has some 40% greater area than a 2.4m, regardless of the design.

With both being a quality manufacturer (and the Precision being a one piece design), the gain should be up by almost 2dB at normal Ku band frequencies, the narrower beamwidth helping reduce any unwanted background noise.

stevemute

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
starview combo
My Location
uk
Channel Hopper said:
In that area a good single 2m dish (Precision ?) or an offset Channel Master/Andrew 1.8m should be able to pull in the signals.

Thank you for the posts. i have a dilemma here. i want to watch multichoice on the eutelsat w7 36degrees east. anyone any idea the best size dish to use?

JOHN896

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Channel Master 2.4m Dish Fixed On 9.0 East Ka Band.Channel Master 1.2m Dish.Satellite Reception From,53.0E-45.0W.
My Location
Swansea Uk
About a month ago i tested 36East with my Channel Master 2.4m dish,i got all of the multichoice transponders
the highest signal i got was 97% from 12245 H SuperSport 1 and 3.A 2.4m dish should be ok.