Help Required Broken Motor? Or just my spirit?!

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Fortec Star FSCOII
Fortec Universal LNB
90 cm dish (not motorised)
My Location
Hampshire, New Forest
Good evening all,

Do you ever get one of those occasions on which you just need a second opinion...

....Well this is mine!

For a couple of years now I have happily been using a motorised dish and my boring but trusty Fortec Star FSCO II box as a back up to our lousy digital in Dorset, to brush up language skills and generally enjoy TV around Europe. After last years storms I re-set my Heath Robinson but functional pole set up twice; until Decembers storms hit. After a coupe of unsuccessful attempts at realignment, time and frustration prevented me from having another go until this weekend. And then I had the Eureka moment.

I knew my equipment was working last time, as I inadvertently picked up a channel as the motor moved! This time I thought I would "reset" the motor to 0 degrees and start from scratch, which was when I noticed that when I tuned the box onto Thor 0.8 the dish was moving distinctly to the east of centre! I pointed it roughly and moved the dish by the button on the motor and hey presto, found Thor. I moved the motor to 0 degrees and turned the pole by hand; found Thor again. But as soon as I select Thor on the box, off the motor goes. I checked, and the scale on the motor puts it at about 20 degrees East! To add insult to injury, the "reset" feature on the motor has also given up.

Now, I haven't changed the location settings for the satellites in the box (frankly I cant remember how, I've lost the manual and don't see why they would have changed - but am sure I set up some satellites from scratch, so I must have input the location, musn't I?!). Ditto the USALS longitude and latitude; though I can recall how to check that!

I am thus concluding that my Technomate 2600 may, after a good few years of service, have finally been blown to the big dish in the sky! Just before I run out and get another, can I ask; does anyone concur, or do you think I might have missed something? Got to say I feel real daft not realising the position it was going to for Thor. I tried and tried aligning it before and was sure my set up was traight, vertical and correctly angled etc. Looks like it was, but the motor was cranking to the wrong position!

While I am at it, I am thinking about a new pole set up which is less destructive than the standard clamps/aluminium pole; after a few storm movements and re aligning the pole gets somewhat deformed and gouged. I was thinking about something like a scaffold pole "collar" that fits snugly around the pole and has a bolt/ allen head type fitting to clamp it. Sat on a permanent ring around the pole (think like a jubilee clip) to stop it sliding down, it would spin quite nicely and I would even consider not cranking it too tight, on a basis of "if it moves, the give is at that piviot and it is easily turned back", whilst preventing damage elsewhere. Just wondered if anyone else has tried or used similar?

Cheers chaps (and chapesses!)

Alex

Channel Hopper

Suffering fools, so you don't have to.
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
www.sat-elite.uk
My Satellite Setup
A little less analogue, and a lot more crap.
My Location
UK
Some 'older' motors have their own memory positions that only a physical reset (going up to push a hidden button, usually underneath the unit),before they will play ball with revised settings from a receiver.

Attachments

• Digipoqwer-sg2100-3.JPG
    Digipoqwer-sg2100-3.JPG
    42.7 KB · Views: 46

rolfw

Believe it when I see it Admin.
Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Technomate 5402 HD M2 Ci, DM7000s, Transparent 80cm Dish, Moteck SG2100 DiseqC motor, lots of legacy gear. Meters: Satlook Digital NIT, Promax HD Ranger+ spectrum analyser.
My Location
Berkshire
If you send the motor to reference or Zero, does the motor actually turn to zero? If it does, then there is as far as I can remember, a reset button, reachable with a long piece of wire, like the exposed core of a piece of coax. It may however be the Fortecstar, I had a customer using one where even after a factory reset, it still sent the dish to the wrong locations.

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Fortec Star FSCOII
Fortec Universal LNB
90 cm dish (not motorised)
My Location
Hampshire, New Forest
If you send the motor to reference or Zero, does the motor actually turn to zero? If it does, then there is as far as I can remember, a reset button, reachable with a long piece of wire, like the exposed core of a piece of coax. It may however be the Fortecstar, I had a customer using one where even after a factory reset, it still sent the dish to the wrong locations.

Thanks for the replies.

I had it in my head that the motor returned to Zero if I reset it; could be wrong in that then. I did do the reset button and am sure I had returned ot to zero manually on at least one occasion that I did, but I will give it a go at the weekend to make sure. The reason I am pretty confident about that is that I took everything down and re-connected it to make sure everything was as straight and as inline as it could be following the winds, but I've no reason to suspect anyting changed with the Fortec.

I'll do it again at zero and if that doesn't work, I think I'll assume the motor took a fatal blow in the wind. Might even change the box; it's overdue really.

Thanks again,

A