Retired Mod
Reaction score
Website
www.timo.me.uk
My Satellite Setup
See Signature
My Location
Maidenhead, UK & Helsinki, Finland
That was exactly what happened to me as well.

That was the only reason I stayed with Sky for so long. I didn't want to tie myself into someone else for 12 months and then find that FTTC would have been available from someone else at a better deal.

Fibre has been a long time coming to our exchange. First mooted for 2012, then 2013, then April 2014, it was actually commenced in June/July this year. Although our cabinet has been FTTCed (actually replaced) the system as awhole hasn't been switched on yet.

To be honest, if I were to switch to fibre (yes, I know it's only to the cabinet and then VDSL to the house but let's call it fibre for simplicity) then I would only be doing it for the increase in upload speed. Being so close to the exchange my download speed is just under 20 Mbps which is fast enough for everything I need at the moment.

The upload speed is something that people don't often take notice of but it was something that I managed to get O2 to tweak. I sacrificed a bit of my upload speed to raise the theoretical maximum from 1.5Mbps to 2.5Mbps. In practice I used to get about 1.9Mbps. I refused all of Sky's entreaties to "upgrade" to their box just to retain this for as long as possible and it was only when they finally changed the equipment at the exchange that I was downgraded to their norm. To be fair to them I don't avctually get a better upload speed from EE (about 1.05Mbps) so I had to compare other aspects of the service and that's when EE came to the fore.

I realise that I've rambled on quite a bit about EE but you won't find many people using their service simply because they are a bit of a start-up company in this area. As with most companies they buy their service in from BT wholesale. It's the extras that make the difference.

Yep, I'm happy with the current 14Mb or so download but can't stand the 0.8Mb upload speed with Sky ADSL. I used to take advantage of BE's Annex-M upload speed increase. I upload and download similar amounts each month due to work and Slingbox usage. As soon as Openreach stop farting around with our cabinet I'm switching to fibre. In the past 18 months they have replaced the cabinet, moved it a few meters, dug up the road a few times, and who knows what else before the latest "deadline" of Dec 2014.

Fisty McB

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
See my signature...
My Location
County Tyrone, N. Ireland
I've been with Plusnet now for about 18 months. When I originally joined them, my house was on a Market 2 exchange which qualified for its discount rates. When I was moving home to where I am now, they gave me a decent offer to help me move my then ADSL package with them to a Market 1 exchange for the same price as I would be charged on a Market 2/3 exchange for 18 months. The downside is that it would only be ADSL1 only, so speed was limited to around 6.5Mb down & 0.4Mb up (compared to ADSL2+ 17Mb down & 1Mb up). But I could live with that.

During the summer Plusnet gave me notice of an increase in the line rental price and the 30-day notice to leave my contract without penalty kicked in (not forgoing I still had around 6 months left of my line rental saver, but I was trying to play for offers here) - I phoned them up a couple of weeks later asking for my MAC code and got put straight through to its retentions. When I mentioned that TalkTalk was available now on my exchange (compared to when I moved house) they were prepared to match on cost for TT's Simply Broadband package, but I said that while TalkTalk could do ADSL2+, Plusnet couldn't as they were delivered over the 20CN from my local exchange, and I was looking for better upload speeds from what I currently have. However FTTC was available to me and they made an offer to match that for 18 months which I took. What I have now is actually better than TalkTalk, as the upload speed is better (TT limit you to 2Mb upload unless you're on their premium FTTC package) at around 9Mb, with download around 30-32Mb & no data limit. Also as long as I remain on Plusnet with line rental saver I'll get evening & weekend calls included still, which TT don't offer at the same price base. Once I pay the next line rental saver due in the spring, that should last until my FTTC contract with Plusnet runs out conveniently enough in early 2016 and so I'll be able to play my cards again then. But so far Plusnet have done me some very good deals without a huge amount of prompting. With the FTTC service I've also got a static IP set up with them now (£5 one-off fee). Customer support with them has been generally good, though I've had a couple of bottlenecks with orders in the past with them they have been sorted out. So would I recommend Plusnet? I'd say they are certainly worth considering, especially if you're not on a Market 1 exchange.

Prior to Plusnet, I was with Sky BB for a year. Again in terms of service I had no problems with them, but I'm pretty sure at the end by the time I got them to subsidise a new phone line into my place, took advantage of a 12 months half-price offer & got a significant amount of cashback from them via Quidco, I'd say in the end I cost them money. :D

As for BT, I can't think of any good reason to be stuck with them unless you are on an exchange with no LLU provider, or you want to take the BT TV package, or you want BT Sport included to watch via Sky. If you're stuck on a non-LLU exchange, arguably the Post Office have the best value package available for phone & ADSL broadband.

Topper

Amo Amas Amant Admin
Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Has gone to a good home elsewhere
My Location
Blackburn, Lancashire
Last edited by a moderator:

PaulR

Dazed and Confused Admin
Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
-----------See sig-----------
My Location
Wirral, NW UK and Vaucluse, France.
Not heard anything back from AS yet. Any thoughts there?

Lazarus

Retired Moderator
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
80cm Motorised.
Several small Dishes.
Much else.
My Location
North York Moors
Yes, he's probably still loading this page .................................... ^_^

A nonymous

Reaction score
DO NOT GO ANYWHERE NEAR BT!!!! :-doh:-doh:-doh

I think that may have got the message across :D

Worst Telecoms company i have ever had the displeasure of dealing with, crappy customer service who only just have a grasp of the English language, incompetent engineers and they charge you for everything.

I think i would have to agree with Tivu and go with Plusnet. Talk Talk may be worth trying also. I have heard horror stories about them, but i have also heard good things too.

Have you looked at Satellite Broadband.

Nano

Last edited:

Lazarus

Retired Moderator
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
80cm Motorised.
Several small Dishes.
Much else.
My Location
North York Moors
^^^^^^^^

The ultimate irony, of course, is that PlusNet are now owned by BT!

Autonomously run, though.

Analoguesat

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
TM 5402HD
Sky+ UK.
My Location
Scottish Borders
Demon have now supposedly restricted my link to 128kbps for exceeding the 50gig limit Vodaphone say is reasonable use. Havent noticed much difference yet! :D

(Vastly exceeding it - Im now up to 63 gig on the rolling 30 day total!) Having done some poking around the system I think most of the excess has been the bloody Sky HD box downloading their shite, so the ethernet plugwill not be going back in any time soon. Oh and d/l some old 1975 / 76 TOTPs at a gig apiece.....)

Plusnet is probably the winner so far, although I wont be sorting it just yet - too much else on my plate atm.

Lazarus

Retired Moderator
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
80cm Motorised.
Several small Dishes.
Much else.
My Location
North York Moors
If you go to PlusNet, please quote me as a Referrer !

Another £1 off my Bill .....................

timo_w2s

Retired Mod
Reaction score
Website
www.timo.me.uk
My Satellite Setup
See Signature
My Location
I was with Demon back in the dial up days (mid 90s) as they where one of the few to support the Amiga and I liked the idea of having a static host name. They also gave me a fax to email number which was useful for my business. Shame they've gone downhill since then, they where quite an innovative ISP back then.

A nonymous

Reaction score
As long as the customer services stays in the uk you may have a chance with Plusnet, just don't go to BT unless you can speak Urdu or Punjabi :D

Lazarus

Retired Moderator
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
80cm Motorised.
Several small Dishes.
Much else.
My Location
North York Moors
Urdu?

Sounds like Cilla's barnet!

Analoguesat

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
TM 5402HD
Sky+ UK.
My Location
Scottish Borders
Demon were fine until they were taken over by the big boys. Although I do still have my static IP issued when we first went over to broadband

skomedal

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
This and that
My Location
thule
Bit off topic as not uk based.

Get my rural broadband from TDC a norwegian supplier, ADSL2 over copper wires, 2.5 download .35 upload, last in line from the rural exchange.

They have an office and workshop in my local village ( 45 km ) and I find the staff there very helpful and obliging if I pop in to discuss any problems I have with internet access.

A month ago had a problem with one of my routers ( ZyXEL ), seems it had restored to factory defaults so completely useless to me, took it into the workshop and the technician hooked it up to his pc and not only reprogrammed it but also loaded the latest firmware. ( free of charge ) Really good customer service.

Regards

2cvbloke

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
No satellite stuff for the moment (aside from a 43cm minidish that was on the house already), Samsung SyncMaster T27B550 Smart TV & Monitor, and a few computers...
My Location
Near Pontop Pike, Co. Durham
That ISP sounds like they're worth their salt, shame over here if a small company becomes profitable and a good reputation, the "big guys" come in and snap it up, making the internet service monopoly bigger... :(

Last edited:

timo_w2s

Retired Mod
Reaction score
Website
www.timo.me.uk
My Satellite Setup
See Signature
My Location
I remember our first ISP in Helsinki was a two man operation from a small office. We went to there to sign a paper and pick up a modem. On one wall was a stack of modems for incoming users to dial into to. He even let me telnet into my uni account from the office so I could check my email. ;) Got quite friendly with the guy as I brought over a few mates to sign them up too. The company has since been swallowed up by one of the larger ones but at least the call centres are in Finland (not sure many Indians can speak Finnish!).

skomedal

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
This and that
My Location
thule
That ISP sounds like they're worth their salt, shame over here if a small company becomes profitable and a good reputation, the "big guys" come in and snap it up, making the internet service monopoly bigger... :(

That`s why i`m still with them 9 years later:)

Cannot beat good customer service.

Regards