Can you connect USB Printer via WiFi network?

sonnetpete

Grumpy Old Retired Moderator and quiz inquisitor..
Reaction score
Website
wordpress.com
My Satellite Setup
Laminas 1.2M fibre dish with an IBU, on a Clarke Tech USALS motor, covering 57E - 24.5W to an Octagon SX88. Displayed on a 20" Dyon LED TV.

Seperate 80 cm dish on 28E with a Humax Freesat for SWMBO.
Free Sat V8 meter. Sony Bravia 46" LCD, Sony BluRay and Home Cinema.
My Location
Normandy, France
I'd like to connect up my Epson Stylus SX 100 via my Wifi modem so that I can print off documents without taking the laptop over and plugging in the usb cable, or connecting the printer via the USB to the modem.

Is there a USB device for the printer that would communicate wirelessly with the modem and allow me to do this?

Otherwise I think I'd have to buy a wireless printer, which as the Epson isn't very old, I'm reluctant to do.

rolfw

Believe it when I see it Admin.
Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Technomate 5402 HD M2 Ci, DM7000s, Transparent 80cm Dish, Moteck SG2100 DiseqC motor, lots of legacy gear. Meters: Satlook Digital NIT, Promax HD Ranger+ spectrum analyser.
My Location
Berkshire
_http://www.trustedreviews.com/networking/review/2006/03/21/Belkin-Wireless-G-Print-Server/p1 should do it.:)

2cvbloke

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
No satellite stuff for the moment (aside from a 43cm minidish that was on the house already), Samsung SyncMaster T27B550 Smart TV & Monitor, and a few computers...
My Location
Near Pontop Pike, Co. Durham
I keep meaning to buy a printserver for out Epson C46, mainly cos it's behind the TV and the USB cable only stretches so far... :lol:

In my opinion though, a wired one would be cheaper and more reliable though, especially if you have your printer near to your router, no issues with signal reception or dropout... :)

sonnetpete

Reaction score
Website
wordpress.com
My Satellite Setup
Laminas 1.2M fibre dish with an IBU, on a Clarke Tech USALS motor, covering 57E - 24.5W to an Octagon SX88. Displayed on a 20" Dyon LED TV.

My Location
Normandy, France
It is the sort of thing I was looking for but.....

I was thinking along the lines of a USB key type device that would plug directly into the printer. However, my laptop is bluetooth enabled, is there a bluetooth device for the printer which would communicate with the laptop, missing out the wifi network?

sonnetpete

Reaction score
Website
wordpress.com
My Satellite Setup

My Location
Normandy, France
2cvbloke said:
In my opinion though, a wired one would be cheaper and more reliable though, especially if you have your printer near to your router, no issues with signal reception or dropout... :)

Sadly not an option as the router is perched on a small triangular shelf with nowhere to house the printer where it would be safe from passing cats and dogs!! It's not that important really as only rarely do I have to print out a document. I was just looking for a labour saving alternative.

Channel Hopper

Suffering fools, so you don't have to.
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
www.sat-elite.uk
My Satellite Setup
A little less analogue, and a lot more crap.
My Location
UK
How about a USB extender ?,

_http://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/offer-listing/B000HOJQLS/ref=sr_1_2_olp/280-7877589-7031025?ie=UTF8&s=gateway&qid=1278588009&sr=8-2&condition=new

or failing that, just cut in half and add a bit of four wire cable in between.

sonnetpete

Reaction score
Website
wordpress.com
My Satellite Setup

My Location
Normandy, France
Nice idea CH, but unless I move the actual telephone point and therefore router, I can't get away without having a usb cable running across doorways. It's not a big problem as I said, as printing off documents only happens rarely. I guess I'm a bit jealous as my stepdaughter's boyfriend recently bought her a wireless printer. I'm still doing renovations and have to watch the pennies so was looking for a cost effective route with minimum disruption to do the same. Guess a new wall shelf above the router might be a cheap option!!

Channel Hopper

Suffering fools, so you don't have to.
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
www.sat-elite.uk
My Satellite Setup
A little less analogue, and a lot more crap.
My Location
UK
I'm now wondering whether its possible to plug in a 11g wireless adapter into the printer's USB port, and control it/send data from the laptop.