Can't get any channels

ozumo

te wo tsuite
Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Raven mk2 zone 2 x4, Channel Master: 90cm x3, 1.2m x2, 1.8m PF. CM polar mount x2, Az/El x3.
My Location
South Durham
I did wonder as I've never seen a hybrid LNB with the 4 outputs in a row like that. Depending on the condition of the cable and any water ingress you could put some appropriately sized F connectors on and then use a female-to-female coupler to join the cable to another cable. The connection would need to be waterproofed with self amalgamating tape.

The Freesat tune worked as I'd expect as the receiver can tune the Freesat home transponder (11426MHz H) which contains the tuning details of all Freesat channels. With a Sky Q LNB most channels are below the frequency the Humax is able to tune - 950 to 2150MHz (transponder freq - 10410Mhz = frequency sent from the LNB to the receiver) so most channels won't work even though they scan in.

Yes those Freesat boxes are the same, the choice is wether or not the box is able to record.

madbilly

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Humax Foxsat HDR
My Location
Cheltenham
Thanks for all your help Ozumo, much appreciated. I'll go and get one of the Freesat 4K recorders and think about using the old dish again when the mood takes me and the weather improves!
Cheers :)

rolfw

Believe it when I see it Admin.
Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Technomate 5402 HD M2 Ci, DM7000s, Transparent 80cm Dish, Moteck SG2100 DiseqC motor, lots of legacy gear. Meters: Satlook Digital NIT, Promax HD Ranger+ spectrum analyser.
My Location
Berkshire
With the LNB frequency set to 10410 I was able to do a Freesat tune and it found lots of channels but would only show a signal and display some of them, unfortunately not the main ones (BBC, ITV, etc).

When I went to check the cables to answer the wall plate question, I realised I was looking at the wrong dish! It turns out that there is a second dish mounted on the other side of the house, above gutter level, please see photos attached. The cables just go through the wall, no plate, not even a cover on the inside wall, it's a very unrefined job (and they just cut off the old cables outside and left the old dish up, pretty bad form as whilst I'd like to use that dish as well, if possible, I'm not even sure if the cables could be spliced or reterminated, could they? Why didn't they just leave them coming into the house!?).

Anyway, I presume this means that the new dish is definitely a Sky Q one and means I need a Freesat 4K box. Are the UHD-X, and 4X boxes I see the same as the 4K ones? They look the same.
Ah, that would of course explain why you were 660mhz out on the original scan, you were on HLow with a LO of 9750, when the H port of the wideband LNB was expecting a LO of 10410. What threw everyone was the quad LNB on the dish you thought was in use.:) So either extend the oriiginal cable which were cut outside, an easy job, swap out the WB LNB for a quad, requires a ladder, or as you suiggest, buy one of the newer Freesat boxes which accept a WB LNB input.:)

madbilly

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Humax Foxsat HDR
My Location
Cheltenham
Yes, difficult to solve a problem without the correct starting information! :-doh

It's a 3 storey house so a ladder is needed even for the first job, as the cables go into the house on the 1st floor. Whilst I would like a ladder, I've nowhere to keep it, so the easiest option by far is to just buy a new box :)

Channel Hopper

Suffering fools, so you don't have to.
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
www.sat-elite.uk
My Satellite Setup
A little less analogue, and a lot more crap.
My Location
UK
With the LNB frequency set to 10410 I was able to do a Freesat tune and it found lots of channels but would only show a signal and display some of them, unfortunately not the main ones (BBC, ITV, etc).

When I went to check the cables to answer the wall plate question, I realised I was looking at the wrong dish! It turns out that there is a second dish mounted on the other side of the house, above gutter level, please see photos attached. The cables just go through the wall, no plate, not even a cover on the inside wall, it's a very unrefined job (and they just cut off the old cables outside and left the old dish up, pretty bad form as whilst I'd like to use that dish as well, if possible, I'm not even sure if the cables could be spliced or reterminated, could they? Why didn't they just leave them coming into the house!?).

Anyway, I presume this means that the new dish is definitely a Sky Q one and means I need a Freesat 4K box. Are the UHD-X, and 4X boxes I see the same as the 4K ones? They look the same.
You could 'borrow' the LNB from the first dish and try again.

Have you ever lassoo'd anything ?