Retired Moderator
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
80cm Motorised.
Several small Dishes.
Much else.
My Location
North York Moors
Some months ago I tried to get my ELM327 Vehicle Diagnostic Scanner/Code Reader to work with EasyOBDII software under Linux Mint.

Used Wine to install it and that seemed easy enough, but whatever I did I could not get the ELM327 to interact with it.

As I had no vehicle issues then, I gave it up as a bad job.

A few days ago, however, my car starting intermittently losing all power now and again, with a warm/hot engine, and the Check Engine light came on.

So I dug out the gear and had another go at getting it to work.

Bottom line: I got both EasyOBDII and Scantool (Similar type of prog.) to install simply via right-clicking the .exe and pointing at "Open With Wine Windows Program Loader" >> No need to run Wine first, just a simple "Open With".

Great. All seemed ok, but neither prog. would talk to the ELM327.

Solved it, though.

The ELM327 is recognised by Mint as a valid FTDI device on USB0, but the Progs use COM Ports ..................

So I mapped USB0 to an unused COM port thus:

In a Terminal, type:

ln -s /dev/ttyUSB0 ~./wine/dosdevices/COM1 (This is a permanent change)

And because the innate Permissions are Read-Only for all tty Ports, simply authorise a temporary change to universal R/W by any and all with:

sudo chmod 0777 /dev/ttyUSB0

Ta da.

All worked fine.

The only niggle is that I haven't found out how to permanently elevate Permissions, so each time (ie A couple of times a year!) I want to scan by car, I need to type the chmod stuff.

PS: The MAP Sensor is failing .............. only replaced it two years ago. This time it's the actual load cell that measures Manifold Pressure, whereas last time the Temperature element had gone and it was telling me the inlet air was at 34C when it was mid-winter!

I've carefully cleaned oil contamination off the sensor and all is (temporarily, no doubt) well.

Topper

Amo Amas Amant Admin
Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Has gone to a good home elsewhere
My Location
Blackburn, Lancashire
You obviously have patience

hairybadger

Bricoleur
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
see sig
My Location
near Geneva, Haute-Savoie, France
ln -s /dev/ttyUSB0 ~./wine/dosdevices/COM1 (This is a permanent change)
ln -s /dev/ttyUSB0 ~/.wine/dosdevices/COM1

:)

The only niggle is that I haven't found out how to permanently elevate Permissions, so each time (ie A couple of times a year!) I want to scan by car, I need to type the chmod stuff.
Add yourself to the group that owns the device?

Lazarus

Retired Moderator
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
80cm Motorised.
Several small Dishes.
Much else.
My Location
North York Moors
Yes, but USB0 is generated afresh each time, so adding oneself to group tty fails as a permanent measure: But one could put it into the start-up script instead.

Can't be bothered as it takes but five seconds to do it temporarily when needed.

Captain Jack

Burnt out human
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
See signature
My Location
North Somerset
What car is it... just out of interest?

Lazarus

Retired Moderator
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
80cm Motorised.
Several small Dishes.
Much else.
My Location
North York Moors
If you first guess was Punto Grande, have a banana!

Captain Jack

Burnt out human
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
See signature
My Location
North Somerset
Ah right. Just some cars, like PSA ones (Peugeot/Citroen), don't like generic code readers. For Peugeot, at least, it needs Peugeot Planet 2000 installed and it's an absolute pain installing it in its native Windows. I certainly wouldn't want to try it in a virtualised environment, so well done for achieving this!

battenfan

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
1.2m pf
My Location
60N 18E
Have you tried any Linux software, openOBD or Freediag? I have a friend with a boat engine that might need my help later this year. But it has a J1708 interface so that's a little odd but a guess the codes are similar, else I should be able to translate them through the service manual. It would be nice to have oil and fuel pressure readings though. Mercruiser D7.3L D-Tronic

Lazarus

Retired Moderator
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
80cm Motorised.
Several small Dishes.
Much else.
My Location
North York Moors
No: I did scour the Interweb thingy for alternatives that were innately Linux friendly, but as it was trivial to install the Windows progs (other than the Port mapping; that also wasn't difficult, just unfamiliar) I decided to stick rather than twist.

Piltdownpaul

No.1 Spike Milligan Fan
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Skybox F3,Icecrypt S3500HDCCI, Technomate TM3000D,TM5400Ci Super, Samsung HD HDD Freesat Box,60cm dish for freesat, TD88 dish on a Skybox F3 57E to 45W.
My Location
South Leicestershire (Fleckney)
Of the many hundreds of cars ive scanned ive yet to see one that has oil pressure data on the screen, it would certainly save a lot of time hooking up old pressure gauges. Well done Tivu for battling with Linux again good stuff.

Channel Hopper

Suffering fools, so you don't have to.
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
www.sat-elite.uk
My Satellite Setup
A little less analogue, and a lot more crap.
My Location
UK
Whip out the existing fuel system, and fit a carb (or a bank from a motorcycle).

You know you want to.

2cvbloke

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
No satellite stuff for the moment (aside from a 43cm minidish that was on the house already), Samsung SyncMaster T27B550 Smart TV & Monitor, and a few computers...
My Location
Near Pontop Pike, Co. Durham
I love seeing modified engines, not because of the modifications themselves, but because I know that their custom air filter setups will give them much less power due to them eliminating the cold-air intake system, so the engines are sucking in hot engine bay air which means the air is less dense when it goes in the engine and therefore causes a drastic power loss, as cold air expands a lot more in the cylinder when the fuel is ignited, hence why you get people doing drag races with their air-intake manifolds wrapped up in dry ice so they can get that little extra boost by chilling the air coming in (doesn't work though, the air rushes through too fast for it to be cooled enough)... :-rofl2

Lazarus

Retired Moderator
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
80cm Motorised.
Several small Dishes.
Much else.
My Location
North York Moors
I love this stuff: Finally found the time to corroborate the indication given by the OBD fault code and swopped my MAP Sensor with SWMBOs (Near identical cars) >> Took hers for a test drive and as soon as the engine got warm, it stuttered and lost all power briefly and the MIL came on.

So I took mine for the same spin and it behaved impeccably.

Proof positive that the fault travels with the suspect component.

Fortunately an after-market replacement is less than 20 notes and I am a v.happy bunny: The only other diagnosis I had come up with was water in the petrol tunk and boy would that have been difficult/expensive.

Fault codes can be misleading, so should never be used as the sole evidence. But on this occasion they were bang on.

Lazarus

Retired Moderator
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
80cm Motorised.
Several small Dishes.
Much else.
My Location
North York Moors
New Sensor arrived today.

All fitted and working.

£16.95 all in.

Captain Jack

Burnt out human
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
See signature
My Location
North Somerset
Wonder how much the stealers would have charged you for this.....