Carpet tiles

Archived-1

Persona non grata
Reaction score
My Location
uk
Hi all, It had never crossed my mind to fit any in any of our houses in the past, anyhow since our move just over two years ago the wife has decided she wants them, I fitted some in our lounge and I must say they look good,

Todays job at home was finishing a little bit of painting off and fitting carpet tiles in our bathroom, they are very easy to fit but I did buy an extra tile in case I messed up round the pedestal, but I got it correct first time :)

DSCN6368.JPG

Lazarus

Retired Moderator
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
80cm Motorised.
Several small Dishes.
Much else.
My Location
North York Moors
I find them very hard on the knees.

sonnetpete

Grumpy Old Retired Moderator and quiz inquisitor..
Reaction score
Website
wordpress.com
My Satellite Setup
Laminas 1.2M fibre dish with an IBU, on a Clarke Tech USALS motor, covering 57E - 24.5W to an Octagon SX88. Displayed on a 20" Dyon LED TV.

Seperate 80 cm dish on 28E with a Humax Freesat for SWMBO.
Free Sat V8 meter. Sony Bravia 46" LCD, Sony BluRay and Home Cinema.
My Location
Normandy, France
Looks very neat Martin...have mainly ceramic tiles here, which is much easier to keep clean with five cats, two dogs and a messy human...still have carpet down in the bedrooms but it's well over 12 years old and I'm intent on doing away with it and sanding and staining the floorboards....

Archived-1

Persona non grata
Reaction score
My Location
uk
A few ways at looking at that one G :D, well its another job crossed of my long list. next job, finish painting in the toilet and flooring :eek:

skomedal

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
This and that
My Location
thule
Try the draughts board laying technique.

Alternate the arrow directions on bottom of tile to create a draught board effect helps to hide the joints.

Well done:)

Regards

Archived-1

Persona non grata
Reaction score
My Location
uk
Looks very neat Martin...have mainly ceramic tiles here, which is much easier to keep clean with five cats, two dogs and a messy human...still have carpet down in the bedrooms but it's well over 12 years old and I'm intent on doing away with it and sanding and staining the floorboards....

Many thanks Pete, Its part what I do for a living plumbing (no gas) ceramic tiling kitchen's etc etc,

Yes I see what your saying pal easy to clean a mess up etc, sanding and staining floorboards has my vote I was thinking of doing the same at the top of my stairs, well replacing them and staining them:).

Try the draughts board laying technique.

Alternate the arrow directions on bottom of tile to create a draught board effect helps to hide the joints.

Well done:)

Regards

Many thanks skomedal, its part of what I do for a living so easy work for me, I have done most things in the building trade from time to time :)

sonnetpete

Reaction score
Website
wordpress.com
My Satellite Setup
Laminas 1.2M fibre dish with an IBU, on a Clarke Tech USALS motor, covering 57E - 24.5W to an Octagon SX88. Displayed on a 20" Dyon LED TV.

My Location
Normandy, France
Yes I see what your saying pal easy to clean a mess up

.....yes, it's mainly the old man here that's messy....if only I could find a way of getting him to move out.....:-rofl2

sanding and staining floorboards has my vote I was thinking of doing the same at the top of my stairs, well replacing them and staining them

I've done the landing floorboards with some varnish and stain from Lidl's...the floorboards are tongued and grooved and I don't want to lift them as I think I'd have to replace most of them. This place was an old (1890 - 1900) farmhouse and I believe the top floor may have been used for accommodation and animal food storage.

Archived-1

Persona non grata
Reaction score
My Location
uk
My landing is very small Pete and nearly every board has a cut through it:eek:, you would never want to take away the character of your home in my eyes even if not original it still has age :)

2cvbloke

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
No satellite stuff for the moment (aside from a 43cm minidish that was on the house already), Samsung SyncMaster T27B550 Smart TV & Monitor, and a few computers...
My Location
Near Pontop Pike, Co. Durham
The only problem with carpet in bathrooms is if it's used quite often, the carpet can become quite damp & smelly, if not ending up completely rotten & mouldy (not good for the lungs, nor the floor underneath!!), personally I'd go for a wetroom setup, easy to clean cos then all you have to do is hose everything down with the shower... :D

sonnetpete

Reaction score
Website
wordpress.com
My Satellite Setup

My Location
Normandy, France
Thing is Martin, when my late wife and I moved in (2001) it was already a 'holiday' home, owned by an English guy who was in the middle of a divorce. He'd 'converted' the top floor into three bedrooms and a bathroom.....let's just say DIY wasn't his forte....there was another two bedrooms on the ground floor which I've now converted into a dining room come study with exposed stone walls (where I write these rambling posts) and made the other into a sort of library/music room.

Archived-1

Persona non grata
Reaction score
My Location
uk
The only problem with carpet in bathrooms is if it's used quite often, the carpet can become quite damp & smelly, if not ending up completely rotten & mouldy (not good for the lungs, nor the floor underneath!!), personally I'd go for a wetroom setup, easy to clean cos then all you have to do is hose everything down with the shower... :D

Yes I see what you are saying 2cv, but me and the wife do not splash around much. and there is a bath mat sat there now :), and also if the bathroom is not used very often the human becomes damp and smelly :D .

But If I had a few kids about the house to true :-)

Thing is Martin, when my late wife and I moved in (2001) it was already a 'holiday' home, owned by an English guy who was in the middle of a divorce. He'd 'converted' the top floor into three bedrooms and a bathroom.....let's just say DIY wasn't his forte....there was another two bedrooms on the ground floor which I've now converted into a dining room come study with exposed stone walls (where I write these rambling posts) and made the other into a sort of library/music room.
Hi Pete, have you considered moving into a smaller place pal ?, it could be a thought for the future, my older bro has gone through similar things, but he is set in in ways through memories and stays where he is,

Maybe a move would do him good ?, but he appears happy most of the time :),

sonnetpete

Reaction score
Website
wordpress.com
My Satellite Setup

My Location
Normandy, France
Hi Pete, have you considered moving into a smaller place pal ?,

It has crossed my mind yes, however this place isn't mine!! When my wife bought it, we were not married and it was in her name only. Though we married here, husbands do not have a right of succession under 'Code Napoleon', the children inherit 75% of the property...I get the remainder. I'm here through my wife's grant of 'usufruits'...the right to live in the house until my death or an agreement with the stepchildren to sell up. (Neither of the kids have an interest in keeping the house for themselves). Because I become a pensioner in just less than a year, I'll consider what's happening then.....

Topper

Amo Amas Amant Admin
Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Has gone to a good home elsewhere
My Location
Blackburn, Lancashire
personally I'd go for a wetroom setup, easy to clean cos then all you have to do is hose everything down with the shower... :D

You would not if you had experienced how unrentable and unsalable having a wetroom makes a house

Archived-1

Persona non grata
Reaction score
My Location
uk
I like a soak in the bath:), I did install a shower but I've not used it I will stick with the bath :).
DSCN6373.JPG

bim

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
humax foxsat Thomson Tsr200 Pace 3100 Black pro quad dvbs2 80 and 100cm dishes
My Location
croatia Lat 45.3301 Lon 14.1822
Hi all, It had never crossed my mind to fit any in any of our houses in the past, anyhow since our move just over two years ago the wife has decided she wants them, I fitted some in our lounge and I must say they look good,

Todays job at home was finishing a little bit of painting off and fitting carpet tiles in our bathroom, they are very easy to fit but I did buy an extra tile in case I messed up round the pedestal, but I got it correct first time :)

View attachment 69648
Hi Martin, Hope you used tackifier adhesive, if you didn't they will be a b****** to get up if you need to. Also with tackifier you can rotate them so they wear evenly. It does look nice.

Archived-1

Persona non grata
Reaction score
My Location
uk
Hi Bim. thanks I have used Tackifier, but I have certain tools for getting the hard stuck down stuff up, ceramics tiles can be the worst at times, specially the old quarry tiles. this item is a god send for a few jobs.
DSCN6374.JPG

Lazarus

Retired Moderator
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
80cm Motorised.
Several small Dishes.
Much else.
My Location
North York Moors
A big-boys' Dremel!

2cvbloke

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
No satellite stuff for the moment (aside from a 43cm minidish that was on the house already), Samsung SyncMaster T27B550 Smart TV & Monitor, and a few computers...
My Location
Near Pontop Pike, Co. Durham
You would not if you had experienced how unrentable and unsalable having a wetroom makes a house

Well, here's a renter/buyer who would love to have a wetroom, cos wetrooms are a great idea... :D