Channel Master 1.2m polar mount

Sandybob

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
1.2 Channel Master and polar mount, 1.2 Gibertini, 1m Orbital, SG2100A, tm-5400, tm-600 linux, manhattan xt-cm, v-box III, and lots of other stuff in the attic!
My Location
uk
Hi, not quite a complete setup yet but I found a channel master polar mount locally, it was in quite good condition, it had little use and only kept as a spare, but there was some surface rust on it so I decided to strip it down and refurbish it before getting the dish. I removed any rust then it had a coat of zinc rich primer then a few coats of hamerite and finally a coat of protective wax. I have attached some photos of it to show how it is made up and wouldn't rule out making another one myself. Looking at the bushes the photo shows the steel inserts are slightly longer than the brass bushes which allows the pivot bolts to tighten up on the insert rather than the bush to allow free rotation, these are now well greased! I think the rest of the mount could be made quite easily with a good welder.
This is one heavy duty mount.
Now as for the dish itself, I have tried one or two suppliers who told me they cannot get the channel master/andrews/raven 1.2m dish even though they can get the 1.8 and 2.4 dishes!
I have seen them go on ebay but they are a million miles away from me, and with the cost of van hire and fuel I think I just as well get a new one if I can.
I hope members find these pictures interesting or perhaps even usefull.

Attachments

• channel master dish mount.jpg
    channel master dish mount.jpg
    81.3 KB · Views: 245
  • channel master dish mount 1.jpg
    channel master dish mount 1.jpg
    82.8 KB · Views: 256
  • channel master elevation axis.jpg
    channel master elevation axis.jpg
    85 KB · Views: 243
  • channel master pole mount.jpg
    channel master pole mount.jpg
    83.8 KB · Views: 226
  • channel master polar mount bushes.jpg
    channel master polar mount bushes.jpg
    69.9 KB · Views: 257
  • channel master power mount arm.jpg
    channel master power mount arm.jpg
    101.3 KB · Views: 228
  • channel master complete.jpg
    channel master complete.jpg
    106.4 KB · Views: 305

Lazarus

Retired Moderator
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
80cm Motorised.
Several small Dishes.
Much else.
My Location
North York Moors
Sandybob said:
I hope members find these pictures interesting or perhaps even usefull.

They certainly are.

Topper

Amo Amas Amant Admin
Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Has gone to a good home elsewhere
My Location
Blackburn, Lancashire
All very looks good and is very interesting indeed, just a minor point with the bushes which appear to be a sintered material implying they are oilite bushes, in which case they should be soaked in oil as in the middle of winter the oil will be cooled to a grease consistency, by using grease unless it is low temp grease it 'could' become a wax consistency causing undue stress on the bearing when covered in frost and ice as well. As I said a minor point but one to possibly consider.

Nice renovation job

Sandybob

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
1.2 Channel Master and polar mount, 1.2 Gibertini, 1m Orbital, SG2100A, tm-5400, tm-600 linux, manhattan xt-cm, v-box III, and lots of other stuff in the attic!
My Location
uk
Thanks for that, I had not cosidered oilite, according to the channel master manual (thanks to rolf) they are labled as bronze bushes, I cleaned the top face of them up with wet and dry and they look like brass or phosper bronze to me. I wonder if any other members could comment on what they use to lubricate them (if anyone does!). It will be ground mounted so I can keep an eye on them anyway.

satelliteman

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
See signature
My Location
Northants, Midlands UK & Lanzarote, Canary Islands
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
DREAMBOX 8000 HD
My Location
IRELAND
Hi, I would like to ask you .....maybe you can help me....where can i buy the cooper ring? The bushes? I have broke by mistake and I cannot find this ring, bushes on the net. Do you have any ideea from where can i buy this parts? thanks