Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
TM 5402HD
Sky+ UK.
My Location
Scottish Borders
Nah but steam comes out of the vents and it makes chuff chuff noises. :-rofl2

It has to be 10 years old - probably time it was given an honourable retirement in the electronics scrap bin up the tip!

Lazarus

Retired Moderator
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
80cm Motorised.
Several small Dishes.
Much else.
My Location
North York Moors
Tsk!

It's folk trying to turbo-charge an Abacus that gets Linux a bad name :-deadhorse

Lazarus

Retired Moderator
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
80cm Motorised.
Several small Dishes.
Much else.
My Location
North York Moors
Well SWMBO and I have both exhaustively (but not destructively!) tested Crunchbang for a further week and neither of us can fault it.

It is "high-level" enough that SWMBO can find and use all the Applications she needs and is happy with the Filing System yet it is "low-level" enough that I can tinker around under the bonnet with confidence - something that Windows simply doesn't allow).

V.happy.

Lazarus

Retired Moderator
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
80cm Motorised.
Several small Dishes.
Much else.
My Location
North York Moors
I decided to take the plunge and dual boot Crunchbang with Windoze 7 on my Netbook, after the highly successful "trial" on SWMBO's Laptop.

Had to remove Ubuntu first and having done so discovered that I could no longer Boot into Windows ("No such partition"!).

Not an enduring problem, though ................ just installed Crunchbang from a Live USB stick, updated the Grub Manager and it happily obliged by appending Win 7 to the Boot options.

Nice.

sonnetpete

Grumpy Old Retired Moderator and quiz inquisitor..
Reaction score
Website
wordpress.com
My Satellite Setup
Laminas 1.2M fibre dish with an IBU, on a Clarke Tech USALS motor, covering 57E - 24.5W to an Octagon SX88. Displayed on a 20" Dyon LED TV.

Seperate 80 cm dish on 28E with a Humax Freesat for SWMBO.
Free Sat V8 meter. Sony Bravia 46" LCD, Sony BluRay and Home Cinema.
My Location
Normandy, France
Well, having read through the thread, I am tempted to try 'Crunchbang' (which sounds like a breakfast cereal). I have a spare laptop which was my stepdaughters running Ubuntu but I don't use it, preferring keeping it as a spare.

I take it you can just download crunchbang, stick it on a USB stick and either load it onto a hard drive to replace Ubuntu or run it alongside Ubuntu as dual boot?

Lazarus

Retired Moderator
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
80cm Motorised.
Several small Dishes.
Much else.
My Location
North York Moors
If you want to run it off a USB stick, then you also need (if using a Windows PC to do the download) to download "Universal USB Installer 1.9.0.7.exe" in order to render the ISO bootable.

All quite straightforward once you've download both the Crunchbang ISO and the Universal USB Installer to disc.

If you actually use the Ubuntu equipped device to download, then you can create a bootable USB in a Terminal:

First:

Mount your USB stick

then:

sudo ls -l /dev/disk/by-id/*usb* will confirm the mount point (probably sdc)

then:

Unmount stick (by right-click ..... you need to leave the stick physically in place)

Second: sudo dd if=/pathtoiso/crunchbang-10-120207-i386.iso of=/dev/sdX bs=4M;sync

Obviously replace pathtoiso with the path to the iso eg on mine it was /home/gordon/downloads

and

replace X with b, c or whatever was reported at step 1 (ignore the second line of the reprot which appends a "1" to the line).

You now have a Bootable USB stick!

As usual with Ubuntu it's dead easy when you get the syntax spot on!

Lazarus

Retired Moderator
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
80cm Motorised.
Several small Dishes.
Much else.
My Location
North York Moors
How to install it should be easy: Use "Graphical Install" and you'll see how to either wipe the disc and dedicate it to Crunchbang, or simply run it alongside any other OS's (inc. Ubuntu) by creating a Partition using the biggest available free spce. (Many other options, too)

Setting it up and customising it is fun - not hard if you ask Google or consult the Crunchbang Wiki. Loads of info and help out there. But once it has run it's post-installation script,I recommend the very first addition you make is sudo apt-get install icedove >> ie Install a Thunderbird equivalent Mail Client.

The rest is up to you - have fun!

Lazarus

Retired Moderator
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
80cm Motorised.
Several small Dishes.
Much else.
My Location
North York Moors
Dose the ominous silence mean catastrophe, or are you so enthralled with it you can't tear yourself away .......... ?! (Or should I say #!) :D

sonnetpete

Grumpy Old Retired Moderator and quiz inquisitor..
Reaction score
Website
wordpress.com
My Satellite Setup
Laminas 1.2M fibre dish with an IBU, on a Clarke Tech USALS motor, covering 57E - 24.5W to an Octagon SX88. Displayed on a 20" Dyon LED TV.

Seperate 80 cm dish on 28E with a Humax Freesat for SWMBO.
Free Sat V8 meter. Sony Bravia 46" LCD, Sony BluRay and Home Cinema.
My Location
Normandy, France
Tivù said:
Dose the ominous silence mean catastrophe, or are you so enthralled with it you can't tear yourself away .......... ?! (Or should I say #!) :D

No, it means I haven't got round chewit yet.....too busy with ladies on dating sites LOL....

Lazarus

Retired Moderator
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
80cm Motorised.
Several small Dishes.
Much else.
My Location
North York Moors
I like this Distro so much now that I've almost exclusively used it the past couple or three days - just a couple of niggly things that mean I can't about Mr.Gates for ever:

Windows Contacts have no editor app. available but I've saved the file as .csv and can actually find all my info in a single file using Geany.

Still not come across an (easy) way of running MS Money. TRied some other progs as mentioned many Posts ago, but can't get on with them. Also tried WINE (The Windows Emulator that is NOT an Emulator!).

Apart from that, all is top-hole.

Lazarus

Retired Moderator
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
80cm Motorised.
Several small Dishes.
Much else.
My Location
North York Moors
I'm bored now: This Distro just, well, works.

No fuss, no bother.

Fast.

No Defragmentation.

No Anti-virus or Anti-malware stuff clogging everything up.

Just reliable operation that does what you'd expect and what you'd want.

Yawn.

wolsty

"Satellite Expert"
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
VU+ Duo, Humax IRCI5400z, Sony Bravia KDL-32EX403, 1.1m Triax, Technomate TH-2600 DiSEqC mount, Sony BDV-E280 Home Cinema system, ancient Logik Freeview PVR.
My Location
Kernow
The Love of My Life is very happy with Ubuntu and even likes the Unity Desktop that I can't get on with at all. Crunchbang looks tempting, though, and when I've solved the Samsung Tablet connectivity problem I may just give it a go,

wolsty

Lazarus

Retired Moderator
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
80cm Motorised.
Several small Dishes.
Much else.
My Location
North York Moors
Unity is awful.

An attempt to make Ubuntu more "High Level" and gain more afficionados that has fallen a bit flat.

wolsty

"Satellite Expert"
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
VU+ Duo, Humax IRCI5400z, Sony Bravia KDL-32EX403, 1.1m Triax, Technomate TH-2600 DiSEqC mount, Sony BDV-E280 Home Cinema system, ancient Logik Freeview PVR.
My Location
Kernow
I quite like Cinnamon.

Lazarus

Retired Moderator
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
80cm Motorised.
Several small Dishes.
Much else.
My Location
North York Moors
Not tried it - I ended up with Crunchbang because of the problems Ubuntu has with Acer onboard graphics and that Distro came up regularly during searches as the answer.

It is.

Lazarus

Retired Moderator
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
80cm Motorised.
Several small Dishes.
Much else.
My Location
North York Moors
Also, with a 750kbps (on a good day!) ADSL Connection and a 10GB monthly allowance, mucking around with Distros isn't really an option, sadly.

excollier

Bikes, Booze, Rock & Blues
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
TD 64 and Humax Foxsat HDR with Raydon's custom firmware
My Location
County Donegal - furthest outpost of the EUSSR
Try here for cheap linux distros

_linux-man.co.uk/shop/

Hixxy1

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
DM800/7020Si/7000S, VU+ Duo, Skybox F3 & F5, TM1000D, Skystar 2 DVBdream, Triax TD110, Darkmotor, Inverto Black, Hotbird 13 Zone 2 MK 4, 28.2 Zone 1 MK4
My Location
East Midlands
The new Ubuntu 12.10 distro has now been released. Got windoze and ubuntu on dual boot and barely use win 7 now.