Help Required DM500s Cable Receiver

dime_f

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
db500s
My Location
america
Hi all
can I use my 500s as DVB-C - Digital Cable receiver, and if yes, do I need to change the Software?
Currently I'm using PliJade

tnx

Mickha

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
1.2M Channel Master, 1224 motor, VU+ Duo 2
My Location
North West
Basically no you can't, the S stands for Satellite, and the tuner, is only for satellite.
I seem to remember a DM 500c version, but as this is a satellite forum, and has nothing to do with cable, I shouldn't think you'll find much more information, on the forum.

Topper

Amo Amas Amant Admin
Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Has gone to a good home elsewhere
My Location
Blackburn, Lancashire
Hardly worth it as you could probably buy a cable stb complete for the price of a new tuner, which you would then have to fit

Mickha

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
1.2M Channel Master, 1224 motor, VU+ Duo 2
My Location
North West
I've read that the Satellite tuner, and canble, tuner, have different connections, so can't easily be switched, plus you would need to J Tag it, to alter the firmware.
Even when this was a reasonable receiver it didn't seem worth the effort, now it's so old it definitely isn't.
I have never owned any Dreambox, satellite, or cable, so can't confirm this information.

A couple of the VU+ models do have the option of fitting a terrestrial/cable tuner, but again is it worth it when, as Topper states, you can probably get a cheap cable set top box, for less than a VU+.