Dreambox 7000s PSU & Fan Mod's

BonceChops

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Dreambox 500, Dreambox 600PVR, Dreambox 7025+, Dreambox 7000, 1m dish on a Moteck SG2100
My Location
NW England
As promised, a while ago, here are some pictures of my PSU and fan mod's to my Dreambox 7000s.

The fan is just held in place with small cable ties through the vent slots. It connects to the original hard drive power connector on the Dreambox. When I get chance I will add a 9 volt regulator to the fan lead so it runs slower and quieter. I tried it on the 5 volt supply but it wont always start spinning. 8 or 9 volts should be ok.

The PSU has had a small corner cut out so it fits snugly. It is not fastened in place and does not move about ( unless you turn the box upside down ). The mains supply is taken from the underside of the circuit board and soldered straight onto the power socket pins ( I should be able to remove it without visible signs I have messed with it if needed for the warrenty ). The hard drive is always powered up. Mine spins down when you shut down the Dreambox.

Where did I get the PSU from? Ebay - item 5709336227

Neil

gameboy

Ding Dang Doo
Reaction score
Website
www.gamezplay.org
My Satellite Setup
DreamBox 7000s - Nokia Freeview - Several GameBoys - DS Lite - ZX81 - SNES - N64 - Saturn - Dreamcast - PlayStation - PS2 - Gamecube - PSP - iPod - iPhone - XBox - PS3 - Wii - iPad - No Life!
My Location
Scotland
My 7000s has a drive fitted and no PSU mod and it runs cool.

The drive only spins when it is accessed and that's only when recording or playing movies.

I have the same casing with the vent slots on the side.

Do you store the var file on your drive?

Did you fit your drive and is it a 7200?

djlemur

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
DM7000 + 300Gb + Gemini, HH100 Rotor, 0.8m Offset Dish, 0.3db Invacom LNB
My Location
Hampshire, UK
BonceChops said:
The PSU has had a small corner cut out...
Why did you go for a separate HDD PSU? :)
I have a 120Gb 7200rpm HD (500mA@5v, 750mA@12v) running off the internal PSU, but I have added a 15000uF cap!

BonceChops

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Dreambox 500, Dreambox 600PVR, Dreambox 7025+, Dreambox 7000, 1m dish on a Moteck SG2100
My Location
NW England
It was unreliable when using Hard Drive. Tried big capacitor but it only improved it a little bit - less lockups.

With extra PSU I get no lockups when using HDD. The drive is used all the time with the latest Hydra image. When I fitted a different 120Gb Seagate drive to test it, all my emu's and channels were missing. It looks like all the settings are stored on the HDD.

BonceChops

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
My Location
NW England
With the fan the box runs very cool. Only sightly warm on the top case of the box.

djlemur

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
DM7000 + 300Gb + Gemini, HH100 Rotor, 0.8m Offset Dish, 0.3db Invacom LNB
My Location
Hampshire, UK
Thx for the explanation.
I seem to be OK on lockups here. i.e. I can always telnet into the box, even if the buttons, etc have stopped working.
The issues I do see are:
* NewCamd seems to lose the ability to display video, although it claims to decode the stream.
* Enigma cannot handle more than approx 4000 services.

T_G

The Consumate Dreamer
Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
1 GigaBlue Quad plus, 1 Dreambox 5620, MOTECK SG2100A DISEqC Motor, 120 cm noname offset dish, Humax 95 cm offset dish and a few UK digiboxes.
My Location
Somewhere where the Sauer is Kraut and the Wurst is Brat
Even though I don|t have a 7000 I thought Bone did a good job describing the conversion, therefore I am going to "Stick" it to the beginning of the Dreambox section. If more conversions shall appear I will do a special Thread for that. Keep 'em coming!!

haggard

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
7000S - 300GB Maxtor
1GB USB -
Syslink wifi bridge from DB to Syslink wifi router to Apple Extreme streaming relay to Apple G5, 2 xG4.
Elgato into G4 17 in for Apple DVB-T captures.
Panasonic 42 HD ready
My Location
NW England
T_G said:
Even though I don|t have a 7000 I thought Bone did a good job describing the conversion, therefore I am going to "Stick" it to the beginning of the Dreambox section. If more conversions shall appear I will do a special Thread for that. Keep 'em coming!!
While this thread is active, I thought Id mention that in the tivo community (I know someone who has one), a cool quiet samsung 7200 rpm is very popular at the mo.
I'm told that hummie folk are preferring Samsungs as well.

ukyawaye

Reaction score
Website
Visit site
My Satellite Setup
Ku-Band, C-Band Motor Drive System.
My Location
Myanmar
Thanks for the info.

RedDevil_UK

Retired Mod
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Dreambox 7000S, VU+ Solo2, 1.1m Dish, Moteck SG-2100A DISEQC Motor
My Location
Rochdale
I was advised that 7200 drives are noisey and can get hot, and was told to buy a 5400, as they dont get hot and are very quiet.

the guy i spoke to said you only need 7200 in a PC, hard drive recorders dont need to be that fast

its true, never had a problem with mine at all..... the ultimate test was recording a program while watching another from the hard drive at the same time!!!! and it worked too.... no glitching or anything :) even on the recorded program.

Only problem is, 5400 are pretty hard to get hold of now :(

D

deleted

For the 7200 rpm HDD I have in my 7000s, I fitted a hard drive cooler fan from Maplins. It held to the underside of the HDD by screws. It works well and is not too noisy. The power connection is an adaptor which fits into power input of the HDD.

The Maplin product number is TK48C and it costs £9.99.

DreamMate

make your dreams true
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
DB7000-S+
SkyStar2+
Technotrend Premuim S2300

My Location
nice one , BonceChops

but did anyone try the DB 7000 without HD for a while ?

in this case the multiboot images will be on USB stick.
since the DB processor is located below the HD base, it is noticable that the performance of your DB will be great without HD.

I remeber that someone has a success move ,installing mini-HD 120GB 5400 rpm in the right side of his DB7000 + DVD rom ( laptop type ) on the left side ( where the oreginal HD base located) .

but i care only about the mini-HD .. what you think about it ?

BonceChops

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
My Location
NW England
DreamMate said:
in this case the multiboot images will be on USB stick.

All my images are on my USB so the hard drive only spins when i am recording or watching a recording. It produces less heat (and noise) that way.

saw3

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
hello
My Location
belgique
comment je pourrais flacher mon module xcam? merci

studiomonitor

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
DM 7000
My Location
South of Sweden
Regarding the issue with the reduced voltage to supply the fan.
You dont need to mount an extra regulator. If you supply the fan between the +5V and +12V it will run on 7V. The red wire goes to +12V.
:)