Advice Needed Dreambox 8000 disconnecting from network when transferring recordings

marcaaron20

Dreaming Satellites
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Dreambox 8000 HD,
80cm Orbital Satellite Dish
Motorized
LNB with 2 outputs, 2nd output leading to upstairs and using Dreambox 500S.
Pioneer VSX-1018AH-K Amp/Receiver,
My Location
Stockton-on-Tees, Cleveland
Hi all, I haven't been on here for a while,
Just wanting some help,
My dreambox 8000 keeps disconnecting from my network, when I try to transfer my recordings to the laptop, It transfers a few then cuts off from the network, some even half way from transferring.
The box is connected to the router via ethernet,
What is/could be the reason for the disconnection?
Bought the box in 2008, and the 1TB hdd thats inside , a couple of month after, there's a lot of recordings on there,
Is the best option to get a HDD enclosure case, take the HDD out of the box and connect it to the laptop to transfer the recordings? If so, is there anything I need to do before removing it out of the dreambox? (ie, un-mount the HDD in settings or doesn't it matter?)

Thankyou for your time,

RimaNTSS

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Some SAT-related hardware.
My Location
N-E from Riga
You can also try to activate WiFi modul in tour Dreambox and transfer files wirelesly. It will take more time though, but, hopefully will not have interruptions.
DM8k is a nice machine BTW

marcaaron20

Dreaming Satellites
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Dreambox 8000 HD,
Motorized
My Location
The broadband speed is useless in my area, it's supposed to be 4.00Mbps but I'm lucky if I get over 3.00Mbps

RimaNTSS

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
My Location
N-E from Riga
I was not speaking about broadband but wireless connection to your Dream box.

marcaaron20

Dreaming Satellites
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Dreambox 8000 HD,
Motorized
My Location
I think I've tried the wireless connection before with no luck

marcaaron20

Dreaming Satellites
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Dreambox 8000 HD,
Motorized
My Location
I think things will be much faster if I get a HDD enclosure case with USB 3.0 connection, my local computer shop said they could order me one if I decide to get one,
I just need to know what the requirements are if any and what steps to take before and after removing the HDD from the dreambox

A

Archive-8

I have had this problem in the past, it was todo with the file size windows needs the files to be 4gb or less. So recordings over 4gb needs to be split.

In the recording options you should be able to set a split size.

Analoguesat

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
TM 5402HD
Sky+ UK.
My Location
Scottish Borders
I think things will be much faster if I get a HDD enclosure case with USB 3.0 connection, my local computer shop said they could order me one if I decide to get one,
I just need to know what the requirements are if any and what steps to take before and after removing the HDD from the dreambox

Amazon will be able to supply them - Ive bought several in recent years to put redundant laptop hard drives in

Tururu

Assembled with recycled parts
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
90cm motorised dishes(98x90)+fixed+multiLNB+24Unicable.
Currently 56 satellites, 61°West to 57°East.

Octagon SF8008 4K Twin, VU+Duo², VU+Ultimo4K.
Recycled as the owner.
My Location
North of Madrid (28703 Spain) -3Km of IKEA (40.545847, -3.612012).:-)
Without forgetting that the drive is formatted in linux.
Sin olvidar que el disco esta formateado en linux.

Make a test from another PC to see if the tuner or PC you use.
For a time, similar problems when transferring files from the tuner to the PC, the PC internet browsing and downloads performed without problems, but is cut using the FTP (Flashfxp) with the tuner, no problems viewing streaming video satellite tuner, change card and issue solved now downloads work 100%, what is wrong ??, no idea.

In my case it is easier to see the problem with having multiple tuners and 2 PC's for testing.
----------------
Realiza una prueba desde otro PC para saber si es el tuner o el PC que usas.
Durante un tiempo, similares problemas, al transferir ficheros del sintonizador al PC, el PC navega por internet y realizo descargas sin problemas, pero se corta usando el FTP (Flashfxp) con el sintonizador, sin problemas para ver video streaming del sintonizador de satelite, cambio de tarjeta y tema solucionado, ahora las descargas funcionan al 100%, que esta mal??, ni idea.

En mi caso es mas facil ver el problema al tener varios sintonizadores y 2 PC's para las pruebas.

marcaaron20

Dreaming Satellites
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Dreambox 8000 HD,
Motorized
My Location
The most I've recorded in a single recording on the box is 3 hours in both standard and high definition, and obviously we are dealing with .TS files so, just so I am clear, how big are;
1 hour of recording in SD and HD
2 hours in SD and HD
3 hours in SD and HD

And if they are bigger than 4GB how can I get them on the laptop without ruining/changing the actual recordings?

If possible, by drag and drop

battenfan

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
1.2m pf
My Location
60N 18E
More details, please. What do you mean "disconnect", as if the fault would be in the DM end? Have you tried to bypass the router? What programs are you using, have you tried Filezilla?
I think the 4GB limit might be due to FAT32. You might need a separate partition.

marcaaron20

Dreaming Satellites
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Dreambox 8000 HD,
Motorized
My Location
The router and Internet is still running, it's just the dream box that disconnects from the router/network, before it used to go weeks without the box disconnecting then it was every couple days, now it's every couple hours,
'Disconnect' meaning Everytime it disconnects I have to restart the box in order to log back into it again,

As for what I am using on the laptop side,
Windows 7 home edition,
And I log into the box and HDD by typing 'ftp:/' etc etc in the windows bar

I used to have no problems doing it this way transferring recordings..
In fact, I've even transferred a good 1hr to 2hrs in HD to the laptop

Last edited:

marcaaron20

Dreaming Satellites
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Dreambox 8000 HD,
Motorized
My Location
Has that bit more information helped?
I am wanting to get something sorted as soon as, because the HDD is nearly full and I am wanting to make some space, as there's a few things I am wanting to record at the start of the new year, and just taking the HDD out and putting a new one in isn't really sorting the problem out because I am still wanting to be able to access/play my recordings

Last edited:

RimaNTSS

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
My Location
N-E from Riga
Another option is that your dreambox is getting older and power supply is not able to do the job. Do you have fan inside your box? If not, than temperature goes to high and network-card stops working. I was pretty happy to see dramatic temperature drop inside the box after installing fan.
You can also try to remove commercials from your recordings that will help free some space in hard drive.

marcaaron20

Dreaming Satellites
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Dreambox 8000 HD,
Motorized
My Location
I don't have a fan inside the dreambox.
As stupid as this may sound, I have an air conditioning unit, would that help if I put the dreambox in front of the air con?

Last edited:

marcaaron20

Dreaming Satellites
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Dreambox 8000 HD,
Motorized
My Location
Bottom line is, as the box and HDD are getting older, I am wanting to save my recordings before I regret it and either the box and/or HDD fails

RimaNTSS

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
My Location
N-E from Riga
Check temperature inside dreambox if it is more than 50* than that could be an issue. To measure temperature no need to open box, just install proper addon (do not remember exact name, something like Fan-monitor). Can not check it now as my DM8k is not working ATM.

battenfan

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
1.2m pf
My Location
60N 18E
I think we can dismiss file size as a problem since you probably have ntfs with your Windows 7 and it has a limit of 16TB / file.
I once had a router that kept freezing when exposed to high traffic and needed a reboot. It might not be your problem but I would still try to bypass the router with a direct cable between the DM8000 and the laptop.to exclude that possibility.
Rima is probably on to something. Remove the case to cool it down and see if it helps.
Couldn't you buy or borrow an external usb drive and attach it to the DM8000?

Tururu

Assembled with recycled parts
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
90cm motorised dishes(98x90)+fixed+multiLNB+24Unicable.
Currently 56 satellites, 61°West to 57°East.

Octagon SF8008 4K Twin, VU+Duo², VU+Ultimo4K.
Recycled as the owner.
My Location
North of Madrid (28703 Spain) -3Km of IKEA (40.545847, -3.612012).:-)
The size of the files, apart from SD / HD depends on the quality (transfer rate) of the channel, HD not all look the same.

1 hour SD .... 1'3Gb
2 hours SD..2'1Gb
3 hours SD..3'6Gb
1 hour HD ... 3'3Gb
2 hours HD..5'1Gb
2 hours HD..7'2Gb
3 hours HD..10'1Gb (The Lord of the Rings: The Two Towers).

While you have the problem, you can not move large files without breaking, try with another network card in the PC, also better to use another laptop of a friend, you connect through web to IP tuner and download the movie to your PC, you do not need any program and see in a few minutes if it works well with this team.

The DB8000 has wifi network, the Might connected by wifi, these more limited, can not remember if wifi G (54Mbs), you could download the files to 5'4Mbs at most and see such.
Remember to: Embedded WiFi (Mini-PCI device inl antenna.).

img_a3952.jpg

Being well 100Mbs network and a 10Gb file (Lord of the Rings HD) are only 22 minutes, a program 6Gb SD, 12minutes, in 2 cases the speed is 8.5 to 10Mbs.

As the disc is in Linux on a PC without but you can not connect and read its contents.

As comment suffered a similar problem started passing the picon files (4-5Kb), with films impossible.
I 3xDB800S-HD, 2xDB7020Si and 1xVU+DUO2 and several PC, quickly saw the problem, so it's good to try another PC.
-----------------------------------------------
El tamaño de los ficheros, aparte de SD/HD depende de la calidad (tasa de transferencia) del canal, no todos los HD se ven igual.

1 hour SD....1'3Gb
2 hours SD..2'1Gb
3 hours SD..3'6Gb
1 hour HD...3'3Gb
2 hours HD..5'1Gb
2 hours HD..7'2Gb
3 hours HD..10'1Gb (El señor de los anillos: Las dos Torres).

Mientras tengas el problema, no puedes mover ficheros grandes sin romper, Probaria con otra tarjeta de red en el PC, tambien vale usar otro portatil de un amigo, te conectas por web a la IP del sintonizador y descargas la pelicula al PC, no necesitas ningun programa y ves en unos minutos si funciona bien con este equipo.

La DB8000 tiene red wifi, la podrias conectar por wifi, estas mas limitado, no recuerdo si wifi G (54Mbs), podrias descargar los ficheros a 5'4Mbs como maximo y ver que tal.
Recuerda que tienes: Embedded WiFi (Mini-PCI device inl. antenna).

Estando bien la red y de 100Mbs, un fichero de 10Gb (El Señor de los Anillos en HD), solo son 22 minutos, un programa en SD de 6Gb, 12minutos, en los 2 casos la velocidad es de 8'5 a 10Mbs.

Como el disco esta en Linux, en un PC sin mas no lo puedes conectar y leer su contenido.

Como comente sufri un problema similar, empezo al pasar los ficheros de los picon (4-5Kb), con las peliculas ya imposible.
Tengo 3xDB800S-HD, 2xDB7020Si y 1xVU+DUO2 y varios PC, vi rapido el problema, por eso es bueno probar con otro PC.

The theme of the temperature and the air conditioner, so do not solves.
Work DPCs (processing centers data such as movies), having no fan to move/remove the air inside the you would have tuner that have a inferio room temperature to 18 ° C, eventually you get used and in winter snowing go down the street in shirtsleeves, as in midsummer.:-rofl2
Remember that cold air can cause condensation if not control moisture care with water.
The Vu + DUO2 only brings a fan, little to my liking, 3 extra fans getting air at 4 tuners, hard drive and 1 helping to remove air from the equipment, plus 5 extra sensors (disk, cpu, tuner) say it is "cooked" inside.:)
----------------------------
El tema de la temperatura y el equipo de aire acondicionado, asi no lo solucionas.
Trabajo en CPD's (centros de procesos de datos como los de las peliculas), al no tener ventilador que mueva/saque el aire dentro del sintonizador tendrias que tener una temperatura ambiente inferio a 18ºC, con el tiempo te acostumbras y en pleno invierno nevando vas por la calle en mangas de camisa, como en pleno verano.:-rofl2
Recuerda que el aire frio puede generar condensacion si no controlamos la humedad, cuidado con el agua.
El Vu+DUO2 solo trae un ventilador, muy poco para mi gusto, 3 ventiladores extras metiendo aire a los 4 sintonizadores, al disco duro y 1 ayudando a sacar el aire del equipo, mas 5 sensores extras (disco, cpu, tuner), dicen que se "cuece" dentro.:)
whd.gif

PD: You decree what you decide, lucky reader step mode/Decidas lo que decidas, suerte, paso a modo lector.

marcaaron20

Dreaming Satellites
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Dreambox 8000 HD,
Motorized
My Location
"I think we can dismiss file size as a problem since you probably have ntfs with your Windows 7 and it has a limit of 16TB / file.
I once had a router that kept freezing when exposed to high traffic and needed a reboot. It might not be your problem but I would still try to bypass the router with a direct cable between the DM8000 and the laptop.to exclude that possibility.
Rima is probably on to something. Remove the case to cool it down and see if it helps.
Couldn't you buy or borrow an external usb drive and attach it to the DM8000?"

So what your saying is, disconnect the ethernet cable from the router and connect the ethernet cable directly into the laptop?