DSL wiring

vienna123

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Always bet on black.
My Location
Vienna, Austra
Hi, I'm not sure where to post this so mods please move as you see fit. I have ordered a new internet/home phone/IP tv package that I hope will be installed next week. In preparation of the man coming to the house with the new modem I would like to get some of the wiring set up. The only phone jack in my apartment is in the middle of the entrance hall, approximately 7m from the nearest power outlet. Ideally, I would like to put the DSL modem a further 10m from there, total cable run ~17m so I would probably need a 20m cable. My question is, can I run a regular phone cord that far and then connect it to the DSL splitter? I need to have the modem that far from the phone jack so that it is close enough for the tv connection. Will this work or should I start thinking about alternate plans?
Many thanks!

compufunk

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
DM 600-S, VU+ Duo,
Moteck SG2100, Fracarro Penta 85 dish, LG LH3000 42" TV + some computers
My Location
NW, Ireland
As long as the cable is good and RJ11 jacks are properly terminated, 20m should be fine in my experience.

Try not to get any kinks in the cable. And avoid sharp turns, try to graduate them.

Believe it or not, a sharp bend in an Ethernet cable will cause some loss in performance. I assume its the same for telephone cable.

vienna123

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Always bet on black.
My Location
Vienna, Austra
compufunk said:
As long as the cable is good and RJ11 jacks are properly terminated, 20m should be fine in my experience.

Try not to get any kinks in the cable. And avoid sharp turns, try to graduate them.

Believe it or not, a sharp bend in an Ethernet cable will cause some loss in performance. I assume its the same for telephone cable.

Thanks for the advice. How do I know if the cable is good and RJ11 jacks are terminated?

compufunk

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
DM 600-S, VU+ Duo,
Moteck SG2100, Fracarro Penta 85 dish, LG LH3000 42" TV + some computers
My Location
NW, Ireland
vienna123 said:
Thanks for the advice. How do I know if the cable is good and RJ11 jacks are terminated?
Just try it out, If it works, then you are sorted. :) You could test the cable with a phone while you are waiting for your DSL router.

When I say good, I mean not damaged.

Are you fitting the RJ11's yourself, or will you be buying cable with prefitted jacks?