E 48 no signal

bella

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
FTA Satellite TV
My Location
Australia
I purchased a second hand Topfield 3200IR. I tried it on my existing system, which is working fine, it gave me an error message " E48 no signal" I took the receiver to my friends house who has a similar working system and tried it. I got again the same error sign. Is the STB bad? not working? or is there anything I am missing in the installasion of the STB. The manual does not refer to any error as such. What is the problem? How can I fix it? My system has two separate dishes one Ku ( small ) and the other is a C-Band ( 2.3 mtrs. Large) which I installed recently. I have a satellite finder meter. inclinator, compass and an azimuth wide scale pattern to fit aound the 76.1mm pole ( 3.00 inches). I am getting a good reading on the satellite finder but no quality reading on the topfield receiver. Lnbf level reading goes to 78%

They are not interconnected with a DiSEqc switch . I am using them individually to two different areas in the house.

I need your expertise.

Regards .

Robbo

Retired Mod
Reaction score
Website
www.mbcsatellites.co.uk
My Satellite Setup
TM6800HD, TM1000, TM600 Linux,TM2200 motor, Channel Master 1.2m motorised, TD110 dish Meter=Satlook Micro+G2 NIT
My Location
Gravesend,Kent,UK
Make sure that your LNB settings are the same as the working one for whcjever dish you try it on, and also ensure that you are checking a valid transponder.

bella

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
FTA Satellite TV
My Location
Australia
Thank You Robbo. I ended up inputting the transporder frequency, the symbol rate and the video and audio PIDs manually. The receiver searches and picks up the frequencies and records them in the channels list but there is no image or sound. Instead I get the E48 no signal. It is a bit weard!

The transporder is a valid one. It is Asiasat 3C. This is the one I am doing the test on now.

I might as well add that I live in Australia in the southern hemisphere. Does this have any effect on the receiver's firmware. Does it need upgrading. The last version was updated Feb.4th,2004

IRD: 40.1.43
CA MODULE: Softcell 2.15
LOADER: 3.3 43:0:5 OK L-5
IRD S/W: TF-JIR 1.06.01
DRIVER S/W: V4.3.8
LAST UPDATE: Feb. 04 2004

Robbo

Retired Mod
Reaction score
Website
www.mbcsatellites.co.uk
My Satellite Setup
TM6800HD, TM1000, TM600 Linux,TM2200 motor, Channel Master 1.2m motorised, TD110 dish Meter=Satlook Micro+G2 NIT
My Location
Gravesend,Kent,UK
Are you getting sufficient signal quality on the transponder?

Which satellite ( Orbital Position) Asiasat 3C does not exist, which channels?

Are they Free To Air Channels?

Topper

Amo Amas Amant Admin
Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Has gone to a good home elsewhere
My Location
Blackburn, Lancashire
Robbo said:
Are you getting sufficient signal quality on the transponder?

Which satellite ( Orbital Position) Asiasat 3C does not exist, which channels?

Are they Free To Air Channels?

I think the o/p means Asiasat 3S Robbo

bella

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
FTA Satellite TV
My Location
Australia
Thank you again. My apology it is AsiaSat 3S and not "c"
I am not getting any signal quality from the transporder on the receiver, but on my satellite finder meter I am getting a good reading and a high pitch sound. I even changed settings to Asiasat 2S because both transporders are very close except for the elevation. The reason for doing this is that I thought I am getting good signal on my satellite finder but I could be setting up on a wrong satellite. I tried many different channels manually inputting the tp frequency, the symbol rate and the VPId and Audio ID. As an example 3680 H SR-FEC 26671 1160/1120/1160. It registers it in the list of channels but there is no signal. Is it possible that the coaxial cable on the LNBF is loose if so how can I still get a good reading on my satellite finder?

Yes they are free to air channels

Topper

Amo Amas Amant Admin
Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
My Location
Blackburn, Lancashire
bella said:
Audio ID. As an example 3680 H SR-FEC 26671 1160/1120/1160. It registers it in the list of channels but there is no signal.

It would appear the reason you cannot see anything is that there is currently no tranmission on that frequency see here

bella

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
FTA Satellite TV
My Location
Australia
What about the other frequencies. Looking at the same Lyngsat list and go to 3760 H. Services such as Bloomberg, MTA International and Al Jazeera English. I tried all of these and none came up. Does this mean that these services are also out from the satellite?

I do not understand the characters A, S, F, G,U. I tried to find a guide in the Lyngsat help icon, it gave me nothing. Is this where you can find whether there is a signal or not ? Would you please guide me more.

On the other other hand, when I took the receiver to my friends place to try it, he had his on Asiasat 2, 3661 V, 27507, 513/651/513, Alalam news channel ( Arabic Channel). When I tried my receiver and input all the required frequencies, it registered it in the searched channels, but no picture or sound and got the same error message E48 no signal. This is where I am stuck now. I am becoming more and more thinking that the tuner on the receiver is not working. The only way to check that my satellite installation is perfect is to get another receiver and try it on my installation. I am seeking your advice in this matter.

Topper

Amo Amas Amant Admin
Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
My Location
Blackburn, Lancashire
Assuming it is a C band stb then I suspect it is a pup, indeed if you search the web, it could be the same as this one doing the rounds, the specs are identical

bella

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
FTA Satellite TV
My Location
Australia
I asked my friend to lend me his receiver to try it on my installation. I tried the same channel he had it on and I am getting the signal strength is too weak. Which means I need to recheck my C band installation. I will let you how it goes.

I will going through a process of elimination and if I get stuck I will contact you again.

Thank you for all the information that you have supplied me .

bella

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
FTA Satellite TV
My Location
Australia
I think I might have a problem with the LNBF on my C-Band Dish. How can I quickly check if my LNBF is active and not burnt?. It is a C-Band LNBF L.O. frequency 5150Ghz dual polarity. My dish is motorized how do I put the skew angle? on Zero parrallel to the pole, or do I have to tilt it left or right? I think because it is a motorized dish, it needs to be at Zero. Am I correct in saying so?

peedee

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Topfield 3200IR
Pental 4000IR
My Location
Australia
Hi Bella

Did you solve this problem as I also have suddenly developed this E48 error code? I am also in Australia & until last week the decoder worked fine (I have the same as you). Then it just stopped receiving all the ABC channels except WA (this was NOT due to the recent court order blocking ABC, this was after the ABC channels were reinstated. Besides I am in NSW & was able to receive ABC SE at all times).

I have a second decoder with a second Optus card for a second TV in the house. After swapping the card, and then swapping TV's & decoders, I decided it was the Topfield box that was the problem. Then, as of this morning, I have now lost all channels on the Topfield with the E48 error code on all of them while I can receive all channels on the other decoder (OPentel ODS4000IR).

I can only assume that the Topfield is faulty & I am quite tempted to chuck it & upgrade to HD. But I am interested to hear if you managed to solve this problem.

P