echostar AD3600 IP Viaccess box woes

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Motorised dish; SuperJack HARL 3618+ SuperJack II+ HQ Series actuator; Echostar AD3600 IP Viaccess box
My Location
Southern Europe/North Africa
Greetings from a newby. I have browsed a bit and not found my answers, so hope some of you experts can aim me in the right direction.
I have the above gear, but for some reason the system always hangs when I select channels on ABIRD3 (French channels). I don't know if it has something to do with their SECAM or what, but it shows a blank screen while the dish aims (compared to other satellites, where I can see the satellite pointer moving across the screen indicator). It pops up the selected channel, but then won't let me change channels afterwards. I have to switch the box off and then on again and try very fast to select another channel on a different bird to get it to shift.
What's wrong with the thing (or with me)?

aba

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
chaparral montery 40 fully loaded
ehcostar ad3600ipvia
3 dishes zone 2 / 1 mt motorized / 2.3 m motorized
My Location
nottingham
ive goit the same receiver and working fine here what version echo software are you useing im useing echonav 3.50-v1100 boot version 0.90

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Motorised dish; SuperJack HARL 3618+ SuperJack II+ HQ Series actuator; Echostar AD3600 IP Viaccess box
My Location
Hi aba and thanks for the reply. The screen shows echonav 3.04-V1000, boot version 0.90.
That appears to be way behind yours, but when I try to download new software from satellite, it pops up with a message saying no new software available or sommat like that.
I sometimes also get a "memory full" message, when I am messing with the tuned satellites, so I wonder if that is blocking any new data downloads, in which case I guess I should scrap the data for some unnecessary transponders.

But otherwise, how do I get new software for the thing? I bought it second-hand and am not in touch with the previous owner, to find out where he bought it.

Mickha

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
1.2M Channel Master, 1224 motor, VU+ Duo 2
My Location
North West
Those are the same settings as on my Echostar 3600 so should work fine.
I tried the 1100 software but I found it still had a few bugs in it, especially with audio settings when using the user option.
Is the satellite you're experiencing problems with at the limit of your East West manual limits?
You probably have too many satellite channels stored on your receiver if you are getting the "Memory Full" message, try deleting those that you can not view.
Go to the satellites, press the white button with a tick on it and choose delete, then scroll down the list and click OK on channels you do not need.
Once complete press exit and save changes.
Are you using a Cam or card in your receiver?
Echostar have ceased official support for these receivers so you can not download updates via hotbird, but you should find the old software on their web site.

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
My Location
thanks for the pointers. i have done a factory reset to clear some of the debris and now apparently have plenty of clear memory.
only problem is that now i cannot for the life of me get a stronger signal on A.BIRD3 than about 14 percent.
Dunno what I have done wrong. The sat used not to be near the ends of the dish range, but relatively central, so there were no possible motor errors etc.
Now, where do I find the darn thing?
I forgot to say I use a free platform card in the thing, no CAM.
And thanks for the explanation of the no satellite software updates. Unfortunately I use a Mac, so can't use their web downloads. But Am content to continue with my software pack if you think it does the job.

Mickha

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
My Location
North West
After doing a factory reset you are starting from the beginning, so you need to go into the menu and set your East West limits and manually add the satellites.
I would start at the satellite that is closest to your due south position and then move East and West adding other satellites.
I would also advise that you do not scan the satellites for all channels, as this would quickly fill up your memory.
Use a site like lyngsat.com and add specific packages and channels that you view.

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
My Location
Many thanks for the advice, Mickha. I have started adding them back, as you recommended and will be selective in my choices!
A.BIRD3 channels still seem to produce the same problem.
Once I select a channel on A.BIRD3, eg TF1, the screen goes blank as the dish reorientates (rather than shows the cursor panning past other birds to get to it, which it does for all the other sats I have selected, eg hotbird, astra1, astra2 etc.)
AND once on TF1, it will not let me move away. The box shows it is seeing the RCU keystrokes I make, but apart from blinking as I press keys, nothing more happens.

Mickha

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
My Location
North West
There doesn't seem to be a lot of channels on A Bird 3 5W
_http://www.lyngsat.com/ab3.html
The channel you mentioned is broadcast in Secam, which could be causing the problem as if I remember correctly you need to add it using the Analog option, where you see frequency, when adding channels, hit the right arrow button, click OK and select Analog.
I seem to remember experiencing a few problems switching between Analog and Digital transmissions but nothing as bad as yours.

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
My Location
I seem to have pinned down the problem a bit more finely now: it seems to happen with channels (mainly on A.BIRD3) whose names appear in BLACK in the channel directory, when I call up a list (with green button on RCU).
Most appear in a white font, and don't cause any problems at all. But some are written in black, and they are the ones where the system hangs.
I can't see any explanation of the difference in the handbook (a singularly useless item of technical literature, if ever there was one).
Does it denote the difference between PAL and SECAM channels? Or Digital and analogue, or something like that.
Again, thanks for your help.

moonbase

Small Dish Man
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
My Location
UK
Can anyone please advise me how to change the name of a satellite in an EchoStar AD3600IP

Rgds

Mickha

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
My Location
North West
I haven't used my Echostar 3600 for some time, and mostly as a positioner, for my 36V motor.
I can't remember if I changed the name, os a satellite, but I did add a few, and I still have a manual but procedures changed, depending on the firmware loaded.
Try pressing the menu key, then navigate to the hammer symbol, followed by the binoculars symbol.
When on the satellite option press the OK button and scroll down to S00, select it, name it, using the onscreen keyboard, and insert its position.
There might be different options, for adding a satellite, including using the shortcut key, on the remote, which looked like a white button, with a tick on it, on the right hand side of the remote.
Just keep looking for the option to add a satellite and the S00 option.

moonbase

Small Dish Man
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
My Location
UK
Mickha,

Thank you for the reply.

I can find the option to add and name a new satellite but I want to find out if it is possible to rename an existing satellite.

Rgds

Mickha

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
My Location
North West
It might not be possible through the menu options, or at least I can't remember doing so, but you used to update the Echostar 3600 using a null modem cable and the com ports, via a PC. It might be worth searching to see if there were any other tools, from Echostar, to allow you to update/change settings on your PC then upload them to your Echostar.

moonbase

Small Dish Man
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
My Location
UK
I found a settings editor called SetEditNAV that is used to download and upload channel settings to an EchoStar receiver that runs on EchoNAV.

It was possible to get the channel settings from the receiver into SetEditNAV and edit them but when I try to load them back into the receiver it gives an error message. If anyone has any experience in using the editor I would be grateful for any advice on how to get the settings back to the AD3600IP.

Rgds