F-connectors: What type you fancy?

A

archive10

I've been using twist-on F-connectors for 7 years now.
Midway I realised you could not only get tools to help the twisting, but also ones with wide hexagonal ring greatly reducing finger pain.
So I got the tools, and try as much as possible to get the wide-hex-ring versions.
(I also read somewhere that the hex-ring was only ever intended for fingering - still don't quite understand how that works out!)

Recently, I've acquired a compression toolkit - and I find it so much better for finishing the cable ends.
There's no finger pain, the screw-on action is so much better (i.e. not there), you can even get water-proof versions etc.

...but what're yer pros and cons?
Do you still swear by twist-ons, and if so, why?
Alternatively, do you use the crimp-technology?
Or do you use the latest waterprrof compression tools to get the best result? And do you still tape them up just to be safe?

(Whichever, you're almost guaranteed to going to make more cable ends that you thought!)

Looking forward to your thoughts...

Riverblue

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
See Signature
My Location
Near Brighton
I've been using these since I got into this hobby, no nonsense, no fuss, no problems (as yet!) :)

Untitled.png

satelliteman

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
See signature
My Location
Northants, Midlands UK & Lanzarote, Canary Islands
I use Cabelcon/ triax or Blake's compression. They are very good. All with intergral O-Ring.

Sent from my Galaxy using Tapatalk Pro

rolfw

Believe it when I see it Admin.
Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Technomate 5402 HD M2 Ci, DM7000s, Transparent 80cm Dish, Moteck SG2100 DiseqC motor, lots of legacy gear. Meters: Satlook Digital NIT, Promax HD Ranger+ spectrum analyser.
My Location
Berkshire
From a professional standpoint, screw on connectors are taboo, I use compression only, Cablecon self installs for internal connections (no tool required, a great time saver) and Cablecon or Triax compression connectors with O rings for external work. Only time I'll use a screw on and even then the better quality ones, is for temporary connections for testing, or for non-standard cables, where a compression fitting will not work.

A

archive10

When I moved to compression connectors some of my connections saw a substantial improvement (several dBs) in signal strength.
...wonder it there is a large number of hobbyists being put off by not only the pain of screw-on connectors, but also some bad results (can't help thkning of people trying to squeeze an extra dB from getting a new LNB, where they might get more from better connectors (i.e. less worse).

A

archive10

I use PPC connectors (a Belden company), mostly because that's what we use at work.
But I suppose there's not that much difference between the makes.
Or?

Riverblue

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
See Signature
My Location
Near Brighton
I personally found compression fittings to be easier, neater, more reliable, more professional looking and of course waterproof with the integral o ring. Easy choice really for not a lot more money. :)

Captain Jack

Burnt out human
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
See signature
My Location
North Somerset
Still screw ons here simply because they are cheap and reusable. Whenever I finally find my final resting place (a new house, not a coffin!), I will get a compression kit to terminate my cables for neatness.

sonnetpete

Grumpy Old Retired Moderator and quiz inquisitor..
Reaction score
Website
wordpress.com
My Satellite Setup
Laminas 1.2M fibre dish with an IBU, on a Clarke Tech USALS motor, covering 57E - 24.5W to an Octagon SX88. Displayed on a 20" Dyon LED TV.

Seperate 80 cm dish on 28E with a Humax Freesat for SWMBO.
Free Sat V8 meter. Sony Bravia 46" LCD, Sony BluRay and Home Cinema.
My Location
Normandy, France
I'm still using screw on connectors, but would like to move over to compression fittings. However, looking on Amazon they seem very expensive, £1.40+ each? To re cable my multisat would cost over £50 at that rate plus purchasing the tool to fit them...

PaulR

Dazed and Confused Admin
Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
-----------See sig-----------
My Location
Wirral, NW UK and Vaucluse, France.
I use screw-ons - simply because I get them for nothing!

Lazarus

Retired Moderator
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
80cm Motorised.
Several small Dishes.
Much else.
My Location
North York Moors
I use screw-ons because I am a Yorkshireman.

sonnetpete

Grumpy Old Retired Moderator and quiz inquisitor..
Reaction score
Website
wordpress.com
My Satellite Setup
Laminas 1.2M fibre dish with an IBU, on a Clarke Tech USALS motor, covering 57E - 24.5W to an Octagon SX88. Displayed on a 20" Dyon LED TV.

Seperate 80 cm dish on 28E with a Humax Freesat for SWMBO.
Free Sat V8 meter. Sony Bravia 46" LCD, Sony BluRay and Home Cinema.
My Location
Normandy, France

satelliteman

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
See signature
My Location
Northants, Midlands UK & Lanzarote, Canary Islands
The Cabelcon F's in particular with an O-Ring seal, do not need taping with self amalgamating tape. They are treated with a Nitin-6 plating.

Nitin-6
Nitin-6 plating has excellent protection in all environments against corrosion and much better corrosion resistance than silver and white bronze.The Nitin-6plating has proved to be extremely stable and resistant over many years of operation in hard climatic environments. Our salt spray tests have shown no impact on the Nitin-6 plating or the function of the connector. Nitin-6 is non-magnetic and resistant to most chemicals.The Nitin-6 plating has a stainless steel look, a low friction surface andwill retain lubricant well.Nitin-6 is non-toxic and does not cause allergic reactions to nickel allergic persons.
http://www.cabelcon.dk/technic/materials/platings/nitin6.pdf

http://www.cabelcon.dk/download/CX3Folder_May2012.pdf

Channel Hopper

Suffering fools, so you don't have to.
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
www.sat-elite.uk
My Satellite Setup
A little less analogue, and a lot more crap.
My Location
UK
All depends on the client.

Screw on type can be made to look as professional as the crimp type, the issues usually come from the variable cable diameters (and the dielectric type) rather than the connectors themselves.

Slightly off topic - there is some really nasty shotgun cable out there that has a tendency to self destruct, the inner conductor corrodes away as a result of the LNB supply current

Riverblue

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
See Signature
My Location
Near Brighton
Slightly off topic - there is some really nasty shotgun cable out there that has a tendency to self destruct, the inner conductor corrodes away as a result of the LNB supply current

I assume it's cheap far eastern import crap, non standardised. There was a similar problem with flat twin core and earth cable (T & E) a few years back, I heard a few horror stories about one wholesaler that had to take back all the cable they had sold because of problems! How do these cable manufacturers get away with it, all cables are supposed to have standardisation identity codes and be compliant to BS (CEE) standards!

Back on topic, from my supplier the connectors I use are 38p and the tool is £12.50p. There are other types and makes ranging from 18p to 53p and various tools from £9.25p to £54.61p all + vat.

Hughes

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Humax Foxsat HDR, Samsung Sky+ HD, Skybox, Fransat HD box, Fransat SD box
Several dishes up to 150cm, receiving 28E 26E 19E 13E 9E 5W
My Location
Lugo, Galicia, Spain
I too use screw-ons as I'm forever changing and don't want to do too much chopping!

william-1

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
OP Gibertini 100 XP+ Inverto Black Ultra Lnb
Superior Dark Motor (160° max)
(50 east to 45 west)
Octagon SX88+Optima (A/B switch) Edision primo IP S2

Raven 88cm Mesh Dish + IBU Twin output
Stab100 H to H (120° max)
(53 east to 45 west)
Octagon SX88+ Ultra HD (A/B switch) Golden Interstar Alpha_X
My Location
Epping Forest Essex
I use mainly use screw on F connectors & have compared them with compression fittings made up for me by my local cable fitter & there is no difference in the signals provided the screw on F connectors are done correctly:)

wod

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
1m channel master, jaeger smr1224, Inverto black ultra twin, technomate tm-1500ci, broken receiver vantage x221ci, New additions Skybox F5s and technomate tm-5402 HD arriving soon.
My Location
yorkshire
I use screw on f connectors in doors as I'm never sure on the length of cabling I need inside.

Outside all cabling uses compression fit f connections to look neat as I can't be bothered cutting off the tape when I need to adjust my 28e dish as lnbs don't seem to last as long on these toy dishes and gone through a few recently.

Also got a few lengths of cable made up for testing stuff with sat meter where crimped connectors are better.

Still got loads of thomas&betts connectors I got cheap from the usa.

timo_w2s

Retired Mod
Reaction score
Website
www.timo.me.uk
My Satellite Setup
See Signature
My Location
Maidenhead, UK & Helsinki, Finland
When I moved to compression connectors some of my connections saw a substantial improvement (several dBs) in signal strength.
...wonder it there is a large number of hobbyists being put off by not only the pain of screw-on connectors, but also some bad results (can't help thkning of people trying to squeeze an extra dB from getting a new LNB, where they might get more from better connectors (i.e. less worse).
You must have had some pretty bad cables with the screw on connectors if you saw a few dB increase when using compression connectors?! It sounds like we shouldn't be worrying about LNBs or dish quality but the type of f connector we use...

I use screw on f connectors simply because they are cheap and I'm forever changing cables and making new ones. I was just looking in a local shop here in Helsinki which was selling the compression tool and a couple of connectors for 35 euros. I just bought 100 screw on type off eBay for £6 inc postage.

Tururu

Assembled with recycled parts
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
90cm motorised dishes(98x90)+fixed+multiLNB+24Unicable.
Currently 56 satellites, 61°West to 57°East.

Octagon SF8008 4K Twin, VU+Duo², VU+Ultimo4K.
Recycled as the owner.
My Location
North of Madrid (28703 Spain) -3Km of IKEA (40.545847, -3.612012).:-)
If you have good signal and do not mind losing 1dB between the 2 connectors (0'5dB would a normal value/insertion loss).
1dB are less than 10cm diameter antenna, say as a reference example.
If no problem, fit well and do not give sore fingers.
As I have paresthesia in the arms, my friends remember me, squeeze both F connectors hand can not remove them.
---------
Si tienes buena señal y no importa perder 1dB entre los 2 conectores (0'5dB seria un valor normal/perdidas insercion).
1dB son 10cm menos de diametro de antena, pongamos como referencia ejemplo.
Si no hay problema, quedan bien y no dan dolor de dedos.
Como tengo parestesia en los brazos, mis amigos se acuerdan de mi, aprieto tanto los conectores F que con la mano no pueden quitarlos.

Need/Necesitan...
Alicates.jpg

PD:
img_a3636.gif

Last edited: