Fransat dish realignment

pandarock32

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Sky uk, Fransat (Cgv E-sat HD-W), hispasat 30w (TDT SAT)
My Location
England
Ok thanks, coincidentally today we are upgrading to sky plus and an installer is coming, maybe I will ask them if they could have a look :)

Lazarus

Retired Moderator
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
80cm Motorised.
Several small Dishes.
Much else.
My Location
North York Moors
Sky Installers are usually very limited in their skill-set, having been trained to do a task by rote and at speed, with little regard to quality. Nevertheless, they might be able to express an opinion over line of sight for the Hispasat dish.

Captain Jack

Burnt out human
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
See signature
My Location
North Somerset
Ha - I seriously doubt a Sky engineer will have any clue. He'll probably ask "are you sure there are other satellites up there?".

rolfw

Believe it when I see it Admin.
Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Technomate 5402 HD M2 Ci, DM7000s, Transparent 80cm Dish, Moteck SG2100 DiseqC motor, lots of legacy gear. Meters: Satlook Digital NIT, Promax HD Ranger+ spectrum analyser.
My Location
Berkshire
Ok thanks, coincidentally today we are upgrading to sky plus and an installer is coming, maybe I will ask them if they could have a look :)
If it's a Sky installer or contractor, they will probably know very little about other satellites and their meter may also be dedicated to Astra 28.2, so probably not a good idea to let them fiddle.

EDit, LOL, double snap. :-rofl2

pandarock32

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
My Location
England
Ok, I'll ask, but as you say the installer probably won't be able to help

pandarock32

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
My Location
England
Ok I asked him, he said that many foreign satellites suffer signal loss in heavy rain so I will just live with it :)

Lazarus

Retired Moderator
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
80cm Motorised.
Several small Dishes.
Much else.
My Location
North York Moors
Nonsense. He is clearly not knowledgeable.

"Foreign" Sats like 5W and 30W should be rock solid with dishes of the size you are using and have as much rain-margin as 28E.

We did warn you about Sky Installers ...................... !!

Don't just live with it - something is amiss.

pandarock32

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
My Location
England
Ok, I think it must be intermittent, as it just rained moderately and the picture was fine, recently we have had a lot of thunderstorms with heavy rain just before they started (when the signal went) so maybe that was the problem? I have only had the spanish a few weeks so that is the only rainy weather I have to go by. Also I noticed the dish is nearly vertical, and the sky and french are titled slightly, so maybe that means the rain blocks the LOS more easily on the hispasat dish? If not i will contact the installer, but he tried to fix it before and replaced the lnb and everything, so I just want to check that it isn't just the area I live in. Thanks for helping me with this :)

Last edited:

Lazarus

Retired Moderator
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
80cm Motorised.
Several small Dishes.
Much else.
My Location
North York Moors
Re: Dish face angle: No. You said earlier that the Hispasat dish was a rounder dish than the other two (So not a Sky type dish) and it probably also has a different LNB arm offset angle.

Last edited:

Captain Jack

Burnt out human
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
See signature
My Location
North Somerset
Thunderstorm clouds are known to cause havoc with satellite signals. If there's black cloud over my house even without rain, my signal can disappear completely.

pandarock32

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
My Location
England
it just rained again and weirdly the picture was fine when it was heavy but pixelated as the rain lessened, then after about a minute returned to normal. I phoned him and he said the only way is to get a bigger dish, which we can't have as the one we have now is already huge

Last edited:

Lazarus

Retired Moderator
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
80cm Motorised.
Several small Dishes.
Much else.
My Location
North York Moors
As we keep saying, the dish sizes you have are perfectly appropriate for getting robust reception, if properly installed and with clear line of sight. If there is a line of sight issue, a bigger dish won't help one bit - and in any event the bigger the dish the more accurate the alignment needs to be.

That is not the answer to your problem.

Last edited:

pandarock32

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
My Location
England
ok thanks I'll get him back :)

Lazarus

Retired Moderator
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
80cm Motorised.
Several small Dishes.
Much else.
My Location
North York Moors
Sorry, but why keep getting the same guy back who has so far failed to get best results and who is advocating a wrong solution? Several of us have expressed concern about his abilities.

First establish, using Dishpointer, if the Hispasat line of sight is clear. If it isn't, then until you can clear it, there's nothing to be gained by further tinkering - unless the dish can be relocated.

None of us want you to keep spending money on getting no improvement!

pandarock32

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
My Location
England
Oh dw he said he'd do it for free , he did when he realigned it last time as well :) I checked on dishpointer and it seems the trees could be a problem, but they are getting cut soon. He agreed that could be it so I'll wait

Lazarus

Retired Moderator
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
80cm Motorised.
Several small Dishes.
Much else.
My Location
North York Moors
Ok, that sounds like a reasonable way ahead :-stpats

gibertini

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
DM800HDSE SIM 2.10 80CM ORBITAL FIXED@28.2E
My Location
53.6N 2.4W
if tree,s are the issue the dish needs to be higher/further back or re-sited as cutting them will only work untill they grow back again... any installer worth his salt with a multi-sat meter could align a fixed dish on hispasat. personally id drop the zone2 and go with a triax td64 and inverto black ultra lnb which can be picked up for £40 if you shop around

Lazarus

Retired Moderator
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
80cm Motorised.
Several small Dishes.
Much else.
My Location
North York Moors
if tree,s are the issue the dish needs to be higher/further back or re-sited as cutting them will only work untill they grow back again... any installer worth his salt with a multi-sat meter could align a fixed dish on hispasat. personally id drop the zone2 and go with a triax td64 and inverto black ultra lnb which can be picked up for £40 if you shop around

I think we established at Post 58 that the Hispasat Dish isn't actually a Sky Zone 2 as we originally thought.

pandarock32

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
My Location
England
I checked with the installer and he said the dish is 80cm. I think it must be the tree as all channels are fine with no rain, and they are not all on the same transponder. I checked the lnb skew on another post in this website and it says it's 22 degrees for the uk, I checked the dish and the lnb definitely looks skewed correctly, so I think when the tree is damp it blocks the signal, as last time it rained, the picture didn't come back until a few minutes after it stopped raining. The tree's going to be cut in a few weeks, so hopefully the problem will be fixed :)

Last edited:

Lazarus

Retired Moderator
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
80cm Motorised.
Several small Dishes.
Much else.
My Location
North York Moors
That sounds promising.