Freesat reception in Devon

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Only a mast on a hillside with line of site to freesat/sky bird at present, located approx 60 metres from house. Tested last week and nice strong signal in an area listed by all the suppliers as a non available postcode!
My Location
South Hams, Devon, 10 miles NE of Plymouth
Hi all

Just joined hoping for some help and advice. I lve in the deep South West of England on the coast about ten miles East of Plymouth in an area where all supplier searches have shown no satelite reception. Postcode listings show up as everything not available. But I own the hillside above me and discovered by using a signal testing kit last week that I have a strong signal and clear line of sight to the Sky/Freesat bird only about 50 metres from the house. So I've stuck up a 3m pole and am now wondering what sort of dish to hang on it. I'm going to be feeding a lovely new 1098 HD flatscreen my kids forced me to buy last week. I've bought 100m of dual coaxial cable from Screwfix (good quality foam insulated stuff and CHEAP) and now need advice about what to connect. I have absolutely no interest in mobile dishes to hunt for dodgy stuff and am looking for help and advice on what to hook up for standard family viewing. Want to spend as little as possible for HD!

rolfw

Believe it when I see it Admin.
Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Technomate 5402 HD M2 Ci, DM7000s, Transparent 80cm Dish, Moteck SG2100 DiseqC motor, lots of legacy gear. Meters: Satlook Digital NIT, Promax HD Ranger+ spectrum analyser.
My Location
Berkshire
I presume you mean that the supplier searches show no Freeview reception, not Freesat, as satellite reception cannot be predicted on a postcode basis, it is purely down to line of sight when inside the footprint. First thing I would ask is how you know that the signal you found was from Astra 28.2 (the satellite cluster which carries Freesat)?

If you have a 50m cable run then put up an 80cm dish with quad LNB, buy yourself a Humax Freesat+ receiver and you will be away, why not run four cables, then you have the facility for Freesat on other TVs.