help with good SNR % but no channels found

vazel0s

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
DM800SE HD
My Location
Abu Dhabi
Hi,

I am hoping to get some help with a problem that I am having for the last few days.
I have a 165cm dish, with a quad LNB, pointing to Hotbird 13. Before about a week everything was working fine and then two very windy nights seemed to have moved my dish and I lost all ability to view any channels. I went up to the roof and re-aligned my dish, using a handheld satfinder device. Using a couple of TP freq's I got the SNR back to around 60% although for other TP freq's on the same satellite it is showing 4%.
However the issue here is that even on the freq's that I have very good signal on I can not get the channels that are supposedly transmitting on that freq but I do get a couple of free channels.
So I went back down to my dreambox receiver and did a network scan. Again I only got a small list of free channels and not the expected channels I was hoping for. I tried another receiver and same results. So what puzzles me is that even though my receiver is saying 70% SNR on a particular freq when I scan that freq I do not get the expected channels. How is that possible? What could be causing this? btw I also replaced my LNB (i tried a couple of LNBs actually) and still no luck.

Any help would be greatly appreciated

M

Lazarus

Retired Moderator
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
80cm Motorised.
Several small Dishes.
Much else.
My Location
North York Moors
Simple: You've found the wrong Satellite.

Remember the Satellite positions are only around 3 degrees apart so it is very common indeed to hit the wrong one.

Frequencies are re-used across the arc, but unless other parameters like SR are also common to the intended target and the one hit, you'll get a signal showing, but no Audio/Video.

List the names of some of the Channels you do get and that will tell us which Bird you're actually getting, hence an idea of which way to pan the dish to hit Hotbird.

vazel0s

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
DM800SE HD
My Location
Abu Dhabi
Hmmm, very interesting... I will post the names of the channels I am seeing and get back to you/do some research.
my question is then: how to align my dish to look at the right sat? Up until now I have been using this handheld satfinder (with a color TV screen and all - so not crappy), selecting the satellite (hotbird in this case) and using some of the existing TPs, or even creating specific TPs (for the channels I want) to align the dish and get a lock.... now I am getting a lock but possibly to the wrong sat - so I am getting erroneous results.
I have moved the dish around a fair bit (in both directions) and the only signal I am getting is at the position it is right now! So how can I find its true position if my device is locking at the wrong position?

Lazarus

Retired Moderator
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
80cm Motorised.
Several small Dishes.
Much else.
My Location
North York Moors
Once you've told us the viewable Channels that the scan brings in, we can identify where your dish is aligned to then tell you how far to adjust the Azimuth, and in which direction.

Also, as you say you've moved it a fair bit both ways without success, you might also have the Elevation incorrect.

But, for now, we need to know what Channels you can view.

vazel0s

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
DM800SE HD
My Location
Abu Dhabi
Understood. Will check when I get home tonight.

Thanks
M

vazel0s

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
DM800SE HD
My Location
Abu Dhabi
I was indeed on the wrong satellite, Eutelsat 9E.....

Many Thanks
M