How to identify friend's satellite source?

Penners

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Humax Foxsat HDR, 3 Freeview boxes, Windows 7 Home Premium (32-bit) laptop
My Location
Suffolk UK
I'm a non-techie!!

I'm staying with an English friend in southern France. He receives UK TV via a large dish and a Sky Free-to-air account. The dish is over a metre in diameter and appears to have a twin LNB.

My friend wanted to be able to record TV programmes to a hard-drive recorder, so he bought himself a Sky Plus box. However he has subsequently discovered that, in order to use this, he would have to have set up a Sky subscription account. He doesn't want to do this.

So at present he receives the free-to-air Sky service through the Sky Plus box, but the slot in the box marked "Interactive card" is empty.

Having given you the background, I have a question for you satellite TV experts, please.

1. If he bought a Humax Freesat PVR box instead of the Sky+ box, is his dish likely to be pointing in the right direction to receive Freesat channels? How can I find out which satellite he is currently receiving from?

Any thoughts and advice would be much appreciated, please.

satelliteman

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
See signature
My Location
Northants, Midlands UK & Lanzarote, Canary Islands
Penners said:
1. If he bought a Humax Freesat PVR box instead of the Sky+ box, is his dish likely to be pointing in the right direction to receive Freesat channels? How can I find out which satellite he is currently receiving from?

Any thoughts and advice would be much appreciated, please.

If he is receiving sky programming and using a sky digibox then the dish will be pointing at the correct satellite 28.2/28.5, just a matter of swapping over the receivers and going through the initial set up procedure.

Robbo

Retired Mod
Reaction score
Website
www.mbcsatellites.co.uk
My Satellite Setup
TM6800HD, TM1000, TM600 Linux,TM2200 motor, Channel Master 1.2m motorised, TD110 dish Meter=Satlook Micro+G2 NIT
My Location
Gravesend,Kent,UK
...which would include inputting a UK postcode, yours will do.

Penners

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
My Location
Suffolk UK
Wow! Thanks for those high-speed responses, Satelliteman and Robbo!

Your answers are very encouraging. Actually my friend also has a UK address, so he could use that postcode. Presumably Freesat wouldn't throw a wobbly if the receiver isn't actually located within the registered postcode?

Robbo

Retired Mod
Reaction score
Website
www.mbcsatellites.co.uk
My Satellite Setup
TM6800HD, TM1000, TM600 Linux,TM2200 motor, Channel Master 1.2m motorised, TD110 dish Meter=Satlook Micro+G2 NIT
My Location
Gravesend,Kent,UK
The receiver doesn't know where it is, it could be absolutely anywhere that gets a good enough signal. It just goes by the postcode you tell it.

The receiver has no means of talking to Freesat, so they would not know where it was either.

Penners

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
My Location
Suffolk UK
OK - many thanks to you both for your advice.

Much appreciated.

PaulR

Dazed and Confused Admin
Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
-----------See sig-----------
My Location
Wirral, NW UK and Vaucluse, France.
The postcode is only used by the Freesat receiver to make sure that you get the correct regional BBC and ITV1 programmes. With a few exceptions (Scotland and the smaller ITV regions) you could put any valid postcode you liked in and get the regional prorammes that you want.

Penners

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
My Location
Suffolk UK
Thanks for that clarification, PaulR. It's a handy detail, because my friend still likes to keep tabs on what's going on in his old stamping ground in the UK. So he will get the correct regional news.