HUMAX HD Postcode

JohnM40

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Community President (65 properties)in Costa Blanca, Spain. Dish 1.8 Prodeline, Viacom quad.
Humax HD.Receiver
Cabled to all community
My Location
Costa Blanca, Spain
When I enter my postcode into a HUMAX HD the programme listing for ITV channels are restricted to my area. ie; ITV Central.

The BBC channels however are not restricted, all the regional channels are listed. Is this correct?

I thought the reason for the postcode entry was to select the regional channels for both BBC and ITV or have I missed a HUMAX uipdate?

Analoguesat

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
TM 5402HD
Sky+ UK.
My Location
Scottish Borders
It should regionalise your BBC 1 onto 101. All the BBC regions are available up in the nether regions of the epg.

JohnM40

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Community President (65 properties)in Costa Blanca, Spain. Dish 1.8 Prodeline, Viacom quad.
Humax HD.Receiver
Cabled to all community
My Location
Costa Blanca, Spain
Thanks Analoguesat, you are correct about BBC being on channel 101

My question is, whatever postcode I enter the BBC channel is always 101 and all the regional variations are showing for BBC one and two.

Enter different postcodes and the ITV channel changes to the local station for the respective postcode. All the other regional channels are hidden.

Why is it not the same for BBC one and two?

The EPG looks like there are lots of channels but many are regional duplications of the same channel.

Is this only on my HUMAX HD or is this a problem with Freesat?

PaulR

Dazed and Confused Admin
Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
-----------See sig-----------
My Location
Wirral, NW UK and Vaucluse, France.
The Beeb are not too worried about which variation of theirs you watch.

ITV, on the other hand, get their money from adverts and it IS important to them as they need to be able to show their advertisers that they are not wasting their money.

JohnM40

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Humax HD.Receiver
Cabled to all community
My Location
Costa Blanca, Spain
Thanks Paul, a very plausible explanation:)

Revealing all the BBC One and Two channels is a bit of a con don't you think? I count some 39 channels..... which in reality there are only 2 channels
Channel 4 regional variations are not shown, which would support your link with advertisers and regional variations

Perhaps someone from Freesat could explain,on this forum, why BBC channels are not postcode specific?:confused

PaulR

Dazed and Confused Admin
Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
My Location
Yes C4 is regionalised the same as ITV, although there are fewer regions.

Interestingly Five is also regionalised on the $ly platform but I think I'm right in saying that there is only one Five signal for Freesat, at the moment, so I wonder how they get way with this.

JohnM40

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Humax HD.Receiver
Cabled to all community
My Location
Costa Blanca, Spain
Thks PaulR
Do you think it is possible for Forum Admin to prompt a reply from the Freesat organisation? If not can someone provide contact details for Freesat Customer Services Manager.

(pleased to find it is not a HUMAX HD problem:))

Lazarus

Retired Moderator
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
80cm Motorised.
Several small Dishes.
Much else.
My Location
North York Moors
JohnM40 said:
Thks PaulR
Do you think it is possible for Forum Admin to prompt a reply from the Freesat organisation? If not can someone provide contact details for Freesat Customer Services Manager.

I'm sure they'll be more than interested to hear that Freesat is being successfully utilised for BBC/ITV reception in Spain! :p

I don't know if you are aware, but you can actually avail yourself of any ITV Region you want if you switch to non-Freesat Mode and scan the relevant Transponders :)

Granted, that still doesn't help with the Freesat Mode EPG, but it may help some people.

The Freesat EPG situation you describe for BBC and ITV is pretty much the way it is (and has been for yonks) on the Sky platform, too (Unsurprisingly, as the actual Channels themselves are exactly the same ones and the same contractual/advertising/etc. issues apply.

PaulR

Dazed and Confused Admin
Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
My Location
JohnM40 said:
Thks PaulR

I don't think we have any pull at Freesat!

Searching the Freesat site there is this page _http://www.freesat.co.uk/index.php?page=help.NewTicket&PHPSESSID=pbbfohk416hquj4blut6g12g85 and possibly this _http://www.freesat.co.uk/index.php?page=about.About&PHPSESSID=pbbfohk416hquj4blut6g12g85

Best of luck!

JohnM40

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Humax HD.Receiver
Cabled to all community
My Location
Costa Blanca, Spain
Received this reply from Freesat.
PaulR, It would appear you are correct it is all about advertising to targeted audiences. That is why ITV,CH4 use the postcode option.

I still find it a con that Freesat promote it has 140 channels of TV when they carry repeat BBC1 and 2 channels in the EPG!

Perhaps we could lobby Freesat to come clean?

(They have no probs with me watching in Spain, if you can get it...welcome! was their response)

Thank you for contacting freesat. Your FAQ has been answered. Question: HUMAX HD receiver. When I enter a postcode the system restricts the ITV channel to my area, ie: ITV Central. However all the BBC regional channels are listed. They are not postcode restricted.Can you explain why, or is there a problem with my receivers software? Answer: There is no issue with your recievers software, this was a desicion made by ITV. If you would like more information regarding this desicion please contact ITV viewer services on 08448 814 150. Thanks for your query, The freesat team http://www.freesat.co.uk We hope this answers your question. If you need more help please call us on 0845 313 0052 or ask us a new question by clicking on the following link and one of our team will get back to you: http://freesat.co.uk/index.php?page=help.NewTicket

PaulR

Dazed and Confused Admin
Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
My Location
JohnM40 said:
I still find it a con that Freesat promote it has 140 channels of TV when they carry repeat BBC1 and 2 channels in the EPG!
You might call it a con, they might call it maximising their positive attributes!

JohnM40

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Humax HD.Receiver
Cabled to all community
My Location
Costa Blanca, Spain
Have sent the following message to Freesat

"Thank you, you have confirmed that my HUMAX HD receiver is working normally, and that the restrictions activated by the post codes imput was a decision made by ITV.

My point is why do you persist in claiming 140 channels when in fact the BBC1 & BBC2 TV channels in the EPG are regional repeats?

ITV and CH4 only appear in the EPG as single items, their regional variations are supressed. Why not be consistent and do the same supression for BBC1&2 channels in the EPG?"

Maybe we will get a sensible answer?:-rofl2

Topper

Amo Amas Amant Admin
Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Has gone to a good home elsewhere
My Location
Blackburn, Lancashire
JohnM40 said:
Have sent the following message to Freesat

Maybe we will get a sensible answer?:-rofl2

Perhaps you are severely over estimating whom you are dealing with at Freesat:p:p

Lazarus

Retired Moderator
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
80cm Motorised.
Several small Dishes.
Much else.
My Location
North York Moors
Tivù said:
I'm sure they'll be more than interested to hear that Freesat is being successfully utilised for BBC/ITV reception in Spain! :p

JohnM40 said:
Received this reply from Freesat. <snip>

(They have no probs with me watching in Spain, if you can get it...welcome! was their response)

Of course they don't - nice to see a pragmatic answer from them, accepting the overspill.

Let's face it, without nebulous Footprints, we'd all be st*ffed, in this hobby!