Advice Needed Humax HDR HDD...

excollier

Bikes, Booze, Rock & Blues
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
TD 64 and Humax Foxsat HDR with Raydon's custom firmware
My Location
County Donegal - furthest outpost of the EUSSR
.....would my old 320GB hdd from the Foxsat be suitable as a storage drive for my computer? I replaced the drive in my Foxsat HDR for a 1TB and now have almost all of the leftover content of the original drive watched (it's in a caddy behind the tv connected to the Foxsat by usb).
If it is suitable then it will save me some cash and give me some valuable extra storage.

PaulR

Dazed and Confused Admin
Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
-----------See sig-----------
My Location
Wirral, NW UK and Vaucluse, France.
It should be OK.

IIRC the HDs are optimised for AV use and spin at 5400rpm rather than 7200rpm so things may be a bit slower as a result. But the cache may mask that.

Also, it's formated under Linux (EXT2 or 3 - can't remember which) so will probably need repartitioning and formatting.

Lazarus

Retired Moderator
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
80cm Motorised.
Several small Dishes.
Much else.
My Location
North York Moors
Ext 3, Paul ;)

2cvbloke

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
No satellite stuff for the moment (aside from a 43cm minidish that was on the house already), Samsung SyncMaster T27B550 Smart TV & Monitor, and a few computers...
My Location
Near Pontop Pike, Co. Durham
Check what model of HDD it is, as mentioned it may be an AV HDD which are rather slow, the one I pulled from my $ky+HD box is a slow drive which my TV seems to hate as it's often too slow, but that's probably just cos it's a seagate drive, which are poo... :-rofl2

excollier

Bikes, Booze, Rock & Blues
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
TD 64 and Humax Foxsat HDR with Raydon's custom firmware
My Location
County Donegal - furthest outpost of the EUSSR
Thanks, it is an AV drive, and it will be re-formatted, probably NTFS, so that Windows can use it too (Windows can't use ext4 that my Linux computers use) and overcome the 2GB filesize imposed by FAT32. I only use Windows when I absolutely must (which is rare these days)
Speed is not a primary consideration for storage.