I-Worm Bagle E

wolsty

"Satellite Expert"
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
VU+ Duo, Humax IRCI5400z, Sony Bravia KDL-32EX403, 1.1m Triax, Technomate TH-2600 DiSEqC mount, Sony BDV-E280 Home Cinema system, ancient Logik Freeview PVR.
My Location
Kernow
Sometime in the past few weeks my desktop computer was infected with the Bagle E virus. I've run AVG and Norton Antivirus, both with the latest definition files and, more lately, the Stinger tool downloaded from McAfee. When I run the software, neither Stinger nor Norton AV recognises the virus, but the AVG background monitor keeps flashing a warning that it's there and, when I run the program, it removes it. A couple of hours later, the warning screen appears again. Any suggestions as to the next step would be most welcome.

Stephen W

Reaction score
My Location
Norfolk
Have you tried an online Active Scan from Panda Software? I had some similar probs with a pesky Trojan but one scan and it vanished (hopefully forever!). The website is www.pandasoftware.com/activescan. might be worth a try.

wolsty

"Satellite Expert"
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
VU+ Duo, Humax IRCI5400z, Sony Bravia KDL-32EX403, 1.1m Triax, Technomate TH-2600 DiSEqC mount, Sony BDV-E280 Home Cinema system, ancient Logik Freeview PVR.
My Location
Kernow
Thanks Rickie and Stephen, but it's still bad news. I ran the Symantec tool, but it didn't find any virus. The Panda site found 22 infected files and removed them, but there was no log of what they were. I left the pc switched on and an hour later, there was the AVG warming message again. I've tried to find the infected file directly, using the XP search function, but the application won't let me into the c:\system Volume Information directory where the *.exe file is lurking. Is a disk format the only option left to me?

rolfw

Believe it when I see it Admin.
Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Technomate 5402 HD M2 Ci, DM7000s, Transparent 80cm Dish, Moteck SG2100 DiseqC motor, lots of legacy gear. Meters: Satlook Digital NIT, Promax HD Ranger+ spectrum analyser.
My Location
Berkshire
If you know the file you are looking for, you may need to use a dos startup disk and navigate to the system directory to delete it. You may also be able to change the attributes of the system directory to allow access from XP.

wolsty

"Satellite Expert"
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
My Location
Kernow
Thanks Rolf. I'll try it when I sober up.