Retired Moderator
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
80cm Motorised.
Several small Dishes.
Much else.
My Location
North York Moors
That works fine, Brian. Opens in Linux Document Viewer.

Huevos

Satellite Freak
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
57E to 58W, C-band and Ku, DVB-S2, 4:2:2 and blindscan.
My Location
38.5ºN, 0.5ºW
FTE is aligned too far west by the look of it. In theory the FTE should out perform the Famaval by a country mile.

A

Archive4

FTE is aligned too far west by the look of it. In theory the FTE should out perform the Famaval by a country mile.

I´ll check that too, but when I tried about two weeks ago on 10773H that was the best I could get, but will try again to be sure, after swapping the LNB´s to see if that is making the difference.

A

Archive4

I´ll check that too, but when I tried about two weeks ago on 10773H that was the best I could get, but will try again to be sure, after swapping the LNB´s to see if that is making the difference.

OK swapped lnb´s today, I was wrong, FTE using BU single beat the Fam by approx 0.5 dB c/n, tried to re-align the FTE but it was spot on to start with on 10773H

Advice to anyone in a low signal area, FTE 1.5 won´t be much better than Fam 1.4, perhaps an Andrews CM would be better. Will post full results tomorrow, when night out with friends at chino restaurant has worn off!

A

Archive4

Here is the result of my test with the same BU single on the two dishes. Have not typed up result of quad on the 1.4 as was as expected being slightly down on the 1.6, with the exception of the 2F txps where there was virtually no difference

Huevos

Satellite Freak
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
My Location
38.5ºN, 0.5ºW
Isn't this the same file as the other day?

I can't believe the Famaval out performs the FTE. I need to see this with my own eyes. :-nutkick

A

Archive4

Isn't this the same file as the other day?

I can't believe the Famaval out performs the FTE. I need to see this with my own eyes. :-nutkick

Top part is the same, bottom part shows FTE wins but not by a large margin and virtually no change on 10773. Could just be blip while I was testing. Will re-do test when I get a box I can record the c/n in dB

Huevos

Satellite Freak
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
My Location
38.5ºN, 0.5ºW
FTE should win by a mile on 10773, because the reason for problems on that transponder is Badr5 interference and the bigger dish "should" do a better job keeping that out.

A

Archive4

FTE should win by a mile on 10773, because the reason for problems on that transponder is Badr5 interference and the bigger dish "should" do a better job keeping that out.

Your welcome to come round anytime your in the area and teach the apprentice the true craft, could also discuss the other problem I pm´d you about. Anyway, as soon as a get a better reciever will re-run the test. Could be that quality of dish (and quality of installer) could be a factor!

A

Archive4

Just a thought, the FTE is about 9 years old, the Fam is 22 days! Could that make a difference? NO, It´s the installer!

Huevos

Satellite Freak
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
My Location
38.5ºN, 0.5ºW
Just a thought, the FTE is about 9 years old, the Fam is 22 days! Could that make a difference?
The condition of the dish surface could but not the age. But if that were the case you wouldn't get such a big bonus on 2F on the FTE.

RichardinSpain

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Sky 1.5 m FTE dish Amiko Alien SHD8900 receiver, Gigablue Quad
& 80cm dish for Nilesat or badr with Amstrad sky receiver
Dreambox 500s motsat3 motor
My Location
Totana Murcia Spain
Thanks for the update Brian, i think i will go for the FTE, as i presume i can put it on my existing stand which will make way for a easier installation and give me a better signal than i am already getting

A

Archive4

Thanks for the update Brian, i think i will go for the FTE, as i presume i can put it on my existing stand which will make way for a easier installation and give me a better signal than i am already getting

Check the FTE website. It should advise pole diameter required. From memory I think my bracket was 10 mm less that max but fits ok

Huevos

Satellite Freak
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
My Location
38.5ºN, 0.5ºW
Richard, how much is the FTE?

But anyway, personally, I really think you should go for a 1.8m PF.

RichardinSpain

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
My Location
Totana Murcia Spain
Richard, how much is the FTE?

But anyway, personally, I really think you should go for a 1.8m PF.

The FTE works out at 280 euros inc iva and delivery
I emailed them yesterday with a couple of questions but they are out of stock but i can wait
I would love a 1.8 but my house is rented, although the garden is big enough the owners stay in the house upstairs so didn't want to push mu luck also i can just afford the 1.5 where as the 1.8 is pushing it a bit
I think i will get quite good reception here on the fte as it's quite a big difference than the 1.2 i have already..I have never had a problem with 2f here on the 1.2 and got good signals from 2e in feb, march and april but have been a bit sporadic since then, although funnily enough they are a bit stronger here tonight, perhaps it's beacause it's been a bit cooler here today

A

Archive4

Sod's law. Decided to check signal strength on Sagemcom box, which takes picture off-screen while you do it. Missed goal goal by Ghana and 2nd by USA "for the benefit of the forum!" BTW quality is dropping so we must be near the 02:00 drop off, normally 80 -100%, currently 60% (at 07:00 between 30 - 40%, but still watchable) Sig strength does not vary much at all, so presume noise or atmospheric interference is causing drop in c/n

RichardinSpain

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
My Location
Totana Murcia Spain
When buying a dish in Spain is it fair to say that it comes with the back plate (not sure if thats the correct word for it) the bit with the azimuth section attached to the dish which fits to the pole. I understand that not all dishes come with a stand but it should come with this part?? Also what is the correct term in Spanish?
Richard

Menorca Man

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Sky+ HD (2GB Amstrad DRX890) + Generic 1.65m x 1.5m offset with Opticum LQP-04H Quad LNB
My Location
Ciutadella de Menorca
Just had my 1.3 x 1.2 Gilbertini changed to a 1.6 x 1.5 (name unknown). The construction is fairly thick steel and, to me, looks like a reasonable well made item. All 2E & 2F $ly channels now watchable.
The installer wasn't sure who the manufacturer of the dish was so I've attached a couple of photos in the hope that one of you more knowledgeable guys can identify it.
As an aside, my Inverto Black Ultra Quad has started to go intermittent - tap it and the signal disappears; tap it again and the signal comes back. What a bummer!! I've therefore ordered a MTI High Line Universal Quad AK54-XT2N so let's hope it's as good as the BU is (or should I say, was!!). Seems very well specified - http://www.sattvshop.com/index.php?main_page=product_info&products_id=800&language=en

View attachment 66148
View attachment 66147

Last edited:

RichardinSpain

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
My Location
Totana Murcia Spain
Hi Menorca man
Nice dish! I'm in the market for a 1.5m dish too, where did you get it? from the guy who installed it for you? Can you tell me how much it cost?
Cheers
Richard