Installing Newcamd 6.10 on Gemini 2.8 - What goes where?

Rav

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Fibo 90cm/55cm, Inverto Black Pro/White Tech, Moteck SG-2100A, Dreamboxes DM7020/DM600/DM800HD
My Location
Zürich/London
I've just flashed my first image (Gemini 2.8) on my 7020 and am about to install my first emu, Newcamd 6.10. I'm manually installing as I haven't set up my network yet as my new router will not arrive until tomorrow.

I've done a lot of reading on installing emus in this forum, but am still a bit confused with this version of Newcamd in particular.

When I open Dreambox Control Center and navigate to /var, there is no bin directory but bin -> /usr/bin. I guess this is a pointer, so do I use this directory, or do I create a new /var/bin directory?

Also, when navigating through the Newcamd distribution I'm not sure exactly which files go where, is there a definitive guide somewhere? I'm not using TuxBox Commander, is this what I'm supposed to do?

Program files: /var/bin - newcamd, cardserver, cardspider, betad (were the old names cardserv and betadserv, or do I have to change them to this?)

Config files: /var/tuxbox/config/newcamd - newcamd.conf, cardserv.cfg, betad.cfg

Keys: /var/(tuxbox or no tuxbox?)/scce/constantcw - keylist, ppua, rsakeylist, tpscrypt

AU files: /var/scce - not sure which AU files go here, all of them?

I also came across this thread http://www.satellites.co.uk/php-bin/forum/showthread.php?t=58818 where some of the filenames were changed, is this also something I must do?

Can someone please tell me or point me to where I can find the definitive answer to which files go where and which filenames need changing as there seems to be some conflicting information.

Finally, at the top of the Newcamd 6.10 readme it says something about "please use drivers and libs from the last full release 6.08"???

Rav

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Fibo 90cm/55cm, Inverto Black Pro/White Tech, Moteck SG-2100A, Dreamboxes DM7020/DM600/DM800HD
My Location
Zürich/London
Ok, this is what I've done so far.

Used DCC to FTP the following files:

newcamd.ppc, cardspider.ppc, cardserver.dreamTriple, betad.dreamTriple --> /var/bin (actually /usr/bin). Changed names to newcamd, cardspider, cardserv, betad and file attributes to 755.

libcrypto.so.0.9.7 --> /var/lib

newcamd.conf, cardserv.cfg, cardspider.cfg, betad.cfg --> /var/tuxbox/config (actually etc/tuxbox/config)

nagraram3.bin, nagraram7.bin, nagraram10.bin, nagraram11.bin, nagraepr3.bin, nagraepr7.bin, nagraepr10.bin, nagraepr11.bin, strom.bin --> /var/scce (actually /usr/scce)

mappings, priority --> /var/scce (actually /usr/scce).

Downloaded latest keys from sat-key.org i.e. constantcw, keylist, rsakeylist, ppua, tpscrypt --> /var/scce (actually /usr/scce). Also, changed file attributes to 755.

Rebooted.

Pressed blue button to find and activate Newcamd, but it's nowhere to be found!

Where am I going wrong? :confused

twinsquirrel

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
My Location
salisbury
Hi,

I'm a bit unsure about your directory structure so i would suggest that you undo everything you have done so far, it would probably be easuer to re-flash the image to get a clean slate (sorry).

The best and most reliable way to install cam is to download them as a .tar.gz file, place them in the /tmp directory then go to the blue panel -> addons -> manual install.... you should see the addon you want there, select the addon and click ok and you are done..

Hope this helps

David

Rav

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
My Location
Zürich/London
Hi David.

Ok, will give that a go once I've installed my new gateway which has just arrived.

Will let you know how I get on.

T_G

The Consumate Dreamer
Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
1 GigaBlue Quad plus, 1 Dreambox 5620, MOTECK SG2100A DISEqC Motor, 120 cm noname offset dish, Humax 95 cm offset dish and a few UK digiboxes.
My Location
Somewhere where the Sauer is Kraut and the Wurst is Brat
Well, once you get the gateway you can install it directly with the blue button. The problem with the posts in the idiot guide explaining where to put what is that these change all the time, every new release has some small differences.

But as an exercise, you might want to try to get a clean image, and make notes or screenshots of the VAR directories and all the sub dir, and then auto install newcamd, newcamdconfig and the keys. then have another look and you will see where all the stuff goes in.

If you then make some more screenshots we could use this for a guide, a few people might be interested.

Rav

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
My Location
Zürich/London
This is what I tried next.

Flashed Gemini 2.90 and downloaded .tar.bz2 version of Newcamd 6.10b and moved to /var/tmp as I was not allowed to create /tmp.

Next, I renamed the file to addon.tar.bz2

Again, unable to create directory /var/scce, I downloaded keys and moved files from ../scce to /usr/scce i.e. constantcw, keylist, ppua, rsakeylist, tpscrypt.

Then used the blue button on the remote to Addons -> Manual Install and installed the Cam.

Rebooted and now I can see 3 more Cams in addition to Common Interface i.e. Newcamd-Betad 6.10b, Newcamd-Cardserver 6.10b, Newcamd-Spider 6.10b, but spookily NO Newcamd 6.10b!

I can start the Cams, but which one am I supposed to use and how do I check if it's functioning as it should be, in other words, which channel should now descrambled?

Looked in /var/tuxbox/config to find nothing in there! I was expecting the newcamd.conf and the other .cfg files.

Also, the contents of /var/scce were unchanged from the files I added, I was expecting all the other AU files, mapping and priority.

Could it be that my Newcamd download was just an update and not a complete or full version? It did mention it was complete.

T_G, I used DCC and have taken screenshots throughout, but the only changes when I installed via the blue button was the name change of addon.tar.bz2 to newcamd.pid and the files betad_6.10b, cardserver_6.10b, cardspider_6.10b, newcamd_6.10b have been added to /var/bin (in reality it's /usr/bin). Nothing else has changed in the directory structure as far as I can tell.

Finally, I'm not 100% sure my Dreambox is connected to the Internet via the gateway, so is there a quick test I can perform to check that it is?

T_G

The Consumate Dreamer
Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
1 GigaBlue Quad plus, 1 Dreambox 5620, MOTECK SG2100A DISEqC Motor, 120 cm noname offset dish, Humax 95 cm offset dish and a few UK digiboxes.
My Location
Hi

You should select the newcamd betad cam.
Also the keys of the newcamd reside in the var/tuxbox/scce.

Have a look there.

If you want to be sure your dreambox is connected to the net try the blue button, addons, download and install, then choose cams for instance, and after a relatively short time a list of 16 or so cams will show. That will give you a good indication if you are online.

Rav

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
My Location
Zürich/London
Hi T_G

Did what you suggested and everything looks good re being connected to the Internet, had 18 Cams come up.

You say the keys are in /var/tuxbox/scce, but for me using DCC this directory is /usr/scce as it appears that (--> = points to):

/var/tuxbox --> /etc/tuxbox
/var/scce --> /usr/scce
/var/tuxbox/scce --> /usr/scce

Most confusing!

There seem to be quite a few files missing such as newcamd.conf and other .cfg files in /var/tuxbox/config/newcamd (which doesn't exist), that were present in older versions. Also, the key files such as nagraram3.bin, strom.bin, etc. are not present in the keys I downloaded. Maybe that's the way it's supposed to be since things may have changed, as you alluded to. Would be nice if others could confirm.

Selected the Newcamd-Betad 6.10b Cam and I can clear channels I was clearing before. Does that mean I'm up and running then? If you know a channel that should clear now that didn't before, that would be a great test.

I've been writing everything down and taking screenshots along the way. Will also take some pictures of the TV screen when activating the newly installed Cam and maybe put together a fool-proof idiots guide to manually installing a Cam. It'll probably be out of date pretty soon though! Why I'd want to do it again, Lord only knows! Blue button is the way to go from now on!

Thanks for all your help. :)

T_G

The Consumate Dreamer
Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
My Location
Hi
If you get the list of cams and keys you are there.

I am not very familiar with the 7020, but I would think they should be the same.

You could do the following, just to make sure: Back up your channel list, and reinstall a clean version of Gemini. Sort out the communication setup, and download and install Camd3 and the Keys using the blue button. (if you can get 19 east and hispasat then camd3 will open TV cabo for you as well)

Then go to one of the key sites and update the keys. If you want to be able to see everything available then the keys must be from yesterday.

To check if you got the cam working ok you should be testing Multivision 1-7 on Hotbird, and Taquilla 1-9 on 19 east and Hispasat, as well as Vidoe on demand on Hispasat and Lusemundo.

If you get these channels then you are up and running.

Once Newcamd keys are available I would then switch as I believe the newcamd emu is more stable.

Rav

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
My Location
Zürich/London
Yes, installed Camd3.861 via blue button (will update to 3.864 later today and see how that goes!), ftp'd yesterday's keys and the channels you mention are clear! It hasn't been a complete waste of a weekend then; great stuff, thanks!

Didn't realise the config files had to be downloaded separately via blue button -> Addons -> download and install -> cam-config. Maybe this is the reason they weren't present when I manually installed and they have to be installed separately.

Next mission is to get my $ky card working in the Dreambox. I've read the thread in the Idiots Guide here http://www.satellites.co.uk/php-bin/forum/showpost.php?p=209055&postcount=23, but not sure where the BOXID resides in the Digibox (is it really the serial number on the back/bottom of the box?) and about cardserver0961?

Will have a look a bit later, thanks once again.

T_G

The Consumate Dreamer
Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
My Location
Great!!
With newcamd you don't need to do anything for the freeview card, other than that entering the boxid is fairly simple.