Introduction and a quick question

MADMAN-_-zZ

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Small 90cm dish for experimentation, Windows xp currently on a mac book pro 17"
My Location
Australia
Hi everyone, I'm completely new to this scene and I know my way around electronic systems relatively well, but I am lost when it comes to talk on these forums :S I have an old 5400z Humax box and I was curious what I could do with it because its just gathering dust so I started looking around but pretty much don't understand all the lingo, I was wondering if anyone could give me a helping hand or point me somewhere I could read up on all the technical terms so that I can understand these things better! thank you in advance :D

Topper

Amo Amas Amant Admin
Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Has gone to a good home elsewhere
My Location
Blackburn, Lancashire
Welcome to the forum MADMAN:-sleepzZ

Here is some stuff for your Hummy but to be honest there is little open these days via patching and I do not think your hummy can card share, but things may be different in Oz but we could not know that.

There is information available on the site but it depends upon what you are researching as to where I point you

Here is a useful site for satellite acronyms

Channel Hopper

Suffering fools, so you don't have to.
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
www.sat-elite.uk
My Satellite Setup
A little less analogue, and a lot more crap.
My Location
UK
The 5400 will accept a number of modern CAMs and is still used by a lot of people. It still has one of the most user friendly menus known to enthusiasts, a pity the modern Humax stuff has fallen a bit far from the tree.

MADMAN-_-zZ

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
My Location
Australia
Thanks for the reply guys, Ive seen some forums on card sharing but I'm not sure it is what I think it is in my head. what exactly does card sharing do, and what are CAMs ^_^

Topper

Amo Amas Amant Admin
Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Has gone to a good home elsewhere
My Location
Blackburn, Lancashire
I don't want to re-invent the wheel here as there is plenty of info on the forum but a CAM is a conditional access module that contains decryption software such as Irdeto that allow you to convert a Free to air stb that has a CAM access port (the same as a PCMCIA port) thus allowing you to use a valid subscription card. There are different types of cams with different encryption systems, there are even multicams which accept more than one type of card.

Again card sharing there is plenty of information on the forum about it but it is illegal and generally only linux based stb's can card share

MADMAN-_-zZ

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
My Location
Australia
Thanks Topper, card sharing is what I thought it was and I'm interested in learning more :p I'll have a read around thank you for your time.