Issue in getting Thor from Sweden

Sambiase

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Dreambox 500S
My Location
Sweden
Hi all,

I live in Stockholm and I would like to aim 1 LNB towards Thor. I have successfully aimed Hotbird and Sirius. The issue now is to get Thor. If I move the LNB pretty close to Sirius then I get about 30% signal but it does not lock. Anyone having Hotbird + Sirius + Thor please help. My antenna is 72x65 cm big.

Thanks,

Sambiase

Lazarus

Retired Moderator
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
80cm Motorised.
Several small Dishes.
Much else.
My Location
North York Moors
Where is the focal point of the Dish itself actually aligned to - Hotbird, Sirius or a compromise position?

I suspect that aligning the Dish to Sirius would be near optimal, then adjusting the Hotbird and Thor LNBs accordingly.

Sambiase

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Dreambox 500S
My Location
Sweden
Thanks for the quick reply. I paid some guys a couple of months ago in order to aim the dish so I could get Hotbird and Astra (19.2e). The main LNB (the one plugged into the "arm") is aiming Hotbird. On the left side of Hotbird LNB I had Astra but I had to replace it by Sirius LNB simply because the signal was really good there and I dont really need Astra. The issue now is getting Thor. I am trying to place its LNB on the left side of Sirius LNB. I get some signal from Thor but it is very unstable and I cannot lock at any provider. My LNB conf is more like this:
Thor - Sirius - Hotbird . Thanks once again for any help.

Lazarus

Retired Moderator
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
80cm Motorised.
Several small Dishes.
Much else.
My Location
North York Moors
As suggested before, I suspect your best chance of success is to re-align the Dish to Sirius.

Then, with the Sirius LNB at the focal point, your Hotbird and Thor LNBs will go either side of that.

Leaving the Dish aligned to Hotbird, as it is now, means the Thor LNB is displaced by 14 degrees - But with it aligned to Sirius, the Thor LNB is only displaced by 6 degrees and the Hotbird LNB by 8 degrees.

That should make life easier and get you better results.

Sambiase

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Dreambox 500S
My Location
Sweden
Thanks once again for your support. I moved the dish as you suggested, so now Sirius LNB is the main one. But I still cannot get Thor. Hotbird LNB goes on the right side of Sirius LNB (if looking at the dish). I get great signal strength with both Sirius and Hotbird but I really dont understand why I cant get Thor? Sorry for so many questions, but would you also know how many TV channels I can get from Sirius? I get around 460...would that be correct?

Lazarus

Retired Moderator
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
80cm Motorised.
Several small Dishes.
Much else.
My Location
North York Moors
Well I really cannot see any reason in principle why it should not work.

As you seem adept with alignment, why not try aligning the Dish to Thor and use the LNB at the focal point, in order to either see what is possible or assist with diagnosis.

ie Set it up temporarily as a Thor only Dish ...................

As for Channels on Sirius, just compare to the list here:

_http://www.flysat.com/sirius4.php

Sambiase

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Dreambox 500S
My Location
Sweden
Hi again,

I have now spent hours in trying to get Thor. All took away all the other LNBs and also moved the dish a bit in order to see if I would get a better signal from Thor. I can just get up to 75% signal strength but that value changes a lot (67% - 75%) and because of that I cant lock. Do you think I would need perhaps a bigger dish? Is Thor supposed to have the same signal strength as Sirius (I live in Stockholm) ?

Lazarus

Retired Moderator
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
80cm Motorised.
Several small Dishes.
Much else.
My Location
North York Moors
Well, here are the Footprints for the various Beams from 1W:

_http://www.flysat.com/1west-beam.php

As you will see, you are more or less at 52dBW for Intelsat 10-02, Thor 2, Thor 3, Thor 5 T1, T2 and T3. ie Strong! Which is what you'd expect.

That translates to a minimum required Dish size of 50cm, which you exceed by a decent margin.

I'm a bit baffled by this one now: Nobody has chipped in to disagree with my thoughts thus far, but I've hit the wall here!

sonnetpete

Grumpy Old Retired Moderator and quiz inquisitor..
Reaction score
Website
wordpress.com
My Satellite Setup
Laminas 1.2M fibre dish with an IBU, on a Clarke Tech USALS motor, covering 57E - 24.5W to an Octagon SX88. Displayed on a 20" Dyon LED TV.

Seperate 80 cm dish on 28E with a Humax Freesat for SWMBO.
Free Sat V8 meter. Sony Bravia 46" LCD, Sony BluRay and Home Cinema.
My Location
Normandy, France
Hi,

I'm sure you have checked but I've seen no mention of skew. You have altered the lnb aligned to Thor to almost vertical?

Other than that, like Tivu I can't think of anything else:confused

Pete

Sambiase

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Dreambox 500S
My Location
Sweden
Hi all,

I am trying to get Thor 0.8w. I have turned the LNB (skew) as I did with the other LNBs (Sirius - Hotbird). The signal is almost touching my building, so I am not sure that i can actually get Thor. But since I can get excellent signals from Sirius and Hotbird, then I thought I could also get Thor. Will try a bit more :) ... I will keep you guys updated...

Lazarus

Retired Moderator
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
80cm Motorised.
Several small Dishes.
Much else.
My Location
North York Moors
Sambiase said:
Hi all,

I am trying to get Thor 0.8w. I have turned the LNB (skew) as I did with the other LNBs (Sirius - Hotbird). The signal is almost touching my building, so I am not sure that i can actually get Thor. But since I can get excellent signals from Sirius and Hotbird, then I thought I could also get Thor. Will try a bit more :) ... I will keep you guys updated...

Ah. That would explain it: Inadequate line of sight.

You may have to relocate your Dish ........................

Sambiase

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Dreambox 500S
My Location
Sweden
After spending hours trying to get Thor or Sirius, I realized that my building is actually blocking the signal according to _dishpointer.com . I thought I got Sirius but after checking the channels, they were actually from Astra :( . I have now Astra as main LNB and Hotbird as second. Unfortunately seems that Sirius signal is just "touching" the corner of my building. The Sat Find from Dreambox shows SNR shifting from about 75% up to 83% when I try to get Sirius but there is no lock. I then made a blindscan anyways but the channels are still from Astra. I was just wondering if exist something I could attach to my dish no Sirius signal could get stronger? It is really bad I cant get Sirius or Thor since all Swedish channels are on these 2 satellites :( ... anyhow, thanks from all info

Lazarus

Retired Moderator
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
80cm Motorised.
Several small Dishes.
Much else.
My Location
North York Moors
A pity.

Sorry our advice doesn't extend to restructuring buildings!

Make the best of what you've got - or move!

Actually, if you post a few pics, I feel sure that if there looks to be a better site for your Dish, someone will point it out :)

Sambiase

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Dreambox 500S
My Location
Sweden
Ahaha...yes...I better move :)...well, in the meanwhile I paste here the picture I took using dishpointer aiming Sirius 4.8

_http://picpaste.com/Sirius_Dishpointer.JPG

Please note that I moved the green pointer to the top of the building just because the picture of my building is not straight ;) ... the dish is a bit outside the balcony.

Sambiase

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Dreambox 500S
My Location
Sweden
ahhahah...moving could be an option but not right now :)...in the meanwhile I post here the dish pointing to Sirius 4.8

_picpaste.com/Sirius_Dishpointer.JPG

Please note that I moved the green pointer to the top of my building simply because the building is not "straight" in the picture ;). The Dish is placed a bit outside the balcony...

Lazarus

Retired Moderator
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
80cm Motorised.
Several small Dishes.
Much else.
My Location
North York Moors
Reposted link as ForumThumbail

Attachments

• Sirius_Dishpointer.1251289638.JPG