+SS2/TwHnS2-3200 pci/TBS6925 pci
1.5 Fortec Star -Gbox - HtoH Ku/Ka/C
My Location
UK
digidol said:
View attachment 41170View attachment 41171

these pics should have been with the last post

...and there's the irony ..
at my location I can receive more or less the same spectrum image ...but that far left peak ..the thin one ....in my case ..contains no data ...as my system is locking a QPSK DVB signal ...and not a QPSK DVBS2 signal ...both must be present in different amounts ..I'm guessing ....
..but since the DVBS2 signal can be received as far south as Devon ...the DVB signal which has the upper hand here ..effectively swamps my receivers ...thus jamming rte.
..well thats my theory anyway.
rgds
VS

zg3409

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
All sorts
My Location
Ireland
digidol said:
..i'm wondering if a steel dish would be better than this fiberglass one.

I am not sure if it would, depends on if the steel was smoother, and possibly the fiberglass might be absorbing some of the 20Ghz signal. Also the metal inside the fibreglass may per perforated (with holes) rather than a sold sheet like tinfoil .This may have an effect. Your signal seems fine with the current dish, a smaller one may work too(signal may go up by 7d:cool: Based on my maps you are just inside my coverage predictions.

View attachment 41170

By the way Saorsat is the very skinny carrier on the left (7dB below two purple internet carriers) in case you didn't know. The two higher carriers on the right at the green spot, which is stronger in Wales.

In other news I am dropping a KA LNB into an F15 owner today, so he can put a channel list on USB. It might be up to two weeks before I get the file back, due to logistics.

I have made up a newer map. If you look at that Irish thread and follow on to the last post, I have completed a new map of the UK with recommended spots and contour lines etc. I doubt it will solve the problems we have, but it should at least confirm which locations are definitely possible. The new map is interactive and can be zoomed in etc. I hope this helps.

I might be able to perform some more tests over the coming weeks/months to the very far north east of Northern Ireland. This should help confirm where the signal starts to drop out.

Also the unofficial/official rumour on launch date is March 17th so the signal may go up by 7dB on this date, and the TG4 station may be added to the lineup. It's not all lost yet!

Vipersan

Emmett Browns Ghost
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
IP9000HD +
TD110 Dish and TD88 Dish in Tandem
66°East to 60°West.
AZbox PrmHD + OpnbxS9HD + Skybox + DrHD F15
2x VboxII AZ-EL
2 m+ Alcoa PF + BSC421 C-Band lnbf...
My Location
UK
zg3409 said:
I am not sure if it would, depends on if the steel was smoother, and possibly the fiberglass might be absorbing some of the 20Ghz signal. Also the metal inside the fibreglass may per perforated (with holes) rather than a sold sheet like tinfoil .This may have an effect. Your signal seems fine with the current dish, a smaller one may work too(signal may go up by 7d:cool: Based on my maps you are just inside my coverage predictions.

View attachment 41170

By the way Saorsat is the very skinny carrier on the left (7dB below two purple internet carriers) in case you didn't know. The two higher carriers on the right at the green spot, which is stronger in Wales.

In other news I am dropping a KA LNB into an F15 owner today, so he can put a channel list on USB. It might be up to two weeks before I get the file back, due to logistics.

I have made up a newer map. If you look at that Irish thread and follow on to the last post, I have completed a new map of the UK with recommended spots and contour lines etc. I doubt it will solve the problems we have, but it should at least confirm which locations are definitely possible. The new map is interactive and can be zoomed in etc. I hope this helps.

I might be able to perform some more tests over the coming weeks/months to the very far north east of Northern Ireland. This should help confirm where the signal starts to drop out.

Also the unofficial/official rumour on launch date is March 17th so the signal may go up by 7dB on this date, and the TG4 station may be added to the lineup. It's not all lost yet!
I look forward to that channel list ZG ..
It may not make the slightest difference ..but I have to at least try it before I rule out all possiblities..
I do appreciate all your help ..and the info you share with us ..
rgds
VS

Vipersan

Emmett Browns Ghost
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
IP9000HD +
66°East to 60°West.
2x VboxII AZ-EL
My Location
UK
...and this post concludes my attempt to receive Saorsat in Manchester..

I recently received a prescanned channel list from Ireland ...for my F15 ..
Made sure I had adequate signal ..
..ie used the 'jamming beam' to align the dish..
then swapped out the channel list ...
As you can see ..the F15 _still_ auto locks to the QPSK S signal ...even though the prescanned list was QPSK S2..
So no active control over this function for the user.
But it clearly shows that frequency re-use regardless of modulation type will cause problems with dxing in ka ...and reduce the world to isolated hamlet pockets again ..instead of a global village..
..at least as far as Satellite goes.
Luckilly I wont live long enough to see this..as it will hopefully be a distance away in the future.
rgds
VS

Attachments

• DSCF0038.JPG
    DSCF0038.JPG
    317.9 KB · Views: 64

oscar2

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
1.3m prime focus dish
Technomate 1500ci+ receiver
Xoro HD sat receiver
My Location
UK
All interesting reading ---- my solution is to bolt a KA LNB (made for an offset dish ) 7 degrees to the right of my KU LNB on a prime focus 1.3M dish and select 16 E on the receiver.
Feed this into a Xoro DVB-S2 HD receiver and voila RTE !!
I do of course live on the West Wales coast ........
Regards

Vipersan

Emmett Browns Ghost
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
IP9000HD +
66°East to 60°West.
2x VboxII AZ-EL
My Location
UK
oscar2 said:
All interesting reading ---- my solution is to bolt a KA LNB (made for an offset dish ) 7 degrees to the right of my KU LNB on a prime focus 1.3M dish and select 16 E on the receiver.
Feed this into a Xoro DVB-S2 HD receiver and voila RTE !!
I do of course live on the West Wales coast ........
Regards

...and thats the critical difference Oscar ....your location ...
I'm not _that_ far from you ...but far enough that I pick up this blank carrier on the same frequency ...at a level which overrides any possibility of receiving the Saorsat carrier.
Just unlucky I guess..
but this is even a problem for a much closer location to Ireland such as the Isle of Man .
Location Location Location..
cest la vie
VS

oscar2

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
1.3m prime focus dish
Xoro HD sat receiver
My Location
UK
Before I got the HD box I tuned into the same frequency using the Technomate 1500ci+ ( non HD ) and all I got there were the signal strength and quality bars leaping back and fore without locking onto any signal.
I didn't think I was going to have any luck but already had the HD receiver on order !!
Regards

timo_w2s

Retired Mod
Reaction score
Website
www.timo.me.uk
My Satellite Setup
See Signature
My Location
Maidenhead, UK & Helsinki, Finland
oscar2 said:
Before I got the HD box I tuned into the same frequency using the Technomate 1500ci+ ( non HD ) and all I got there were the signal strength and quality bars leaping back and fore without locking onto any signal.

Yeah I noticed the TM1500 does that if it sees a DVB-S2 signal.

oscar2

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
1.3m prime focus dish
Xoro HD sat receiver
My Location
UK
Sorry I can't comment about how far East of me it is possible to receive RTE as I don't know anyone with a big dish in that direction.
Sounds like you have explored every possible avenue in your quest -- I used to be able to receive their terrestrial digital service but think they cut off the signal in this direction as it was causing havoc to the Preselli transmitter further up the coast.
Bought a Picnic receiver for £20 just for that !!
Regards.

zg3409

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
All sorts
My Location
Ireland
oscar2 said:
I used to be able to receive their terrestrial digital service but think they cut off the signal in this direction as it was causing havoc to the Preselli transmitter further up the coast.
Regards.

Off topic but the Irish terrestrial signal is MPEG4 only so you would need a Freeview HD box to see ANY of the stations even the SD ones. Some of the testing in the past was MPEG2 which means freeview non HD boxes may have picked up testing in the past but a HD terrestrial box is essential to see any of the Irish terrestrial channels. They have skipped the whole simulcasting the same channel in HD and SD at the same time and gone straight to every channel being MPEG4 though most are still low enough resolution that they cannot be called HD. From end of October analogue transmission will cease.

oscar2

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
1.3m prime focus dish
Xoro HD sat receiver
My Location
UK
Thanks for that -- I have a HD Feeview box so will give it a go again.
Sorry to go off topic.
Regards

davemurgtroyd

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
See signature
My Location
Oxford
zg3409 said:
Off topic but the Irish terrestrial signal is MPEG4 only so you would need a Freeview HD box to see ANY of the stations even the SD ones. Some of the testing in the past was MPEG2 which means freeview non HD boxes may have picked up testing in the past but a HD terrestrial box is essential to see any of the Irish terrestrial channels. They have skipped the whole simulcasting the same channel in HD and SD at the same time and gone straight to every channel being MPEG4 though most are still low enough resolution that they cannot be called HD. From end of October analogue transmission will cease.

The "Sky" Picnic DTT boxes were MPEG2 and MPEG4 compatable although only SD so are suitable for the SD channels.

oscar2

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
1.3m prime focus dish
Xoro HD sat receiver
My Location
UK
Gone a bit quiet here !!
Still working well for me ......
Regards

oscar2

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
1.3m prime focus dish
Xoro HD sat receiver
My Location
UK
TG4 has been added to Saorsat --- rescan required.
Regards

drusattv

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
C& KU BAND SATELLITES // 2M PRIME & 110CM OFFSET//VU+DUO2//XCRUISER 420 HD//
KA-BAND...COMMING SOON......
My Location
iran
HI,MR
VIPERSAN
FOR KA-BAND
====================
the results of experiments on 9 EAST
====
Is IT disappointing?
REGARDS​

Vipersan

Emmett Browns Ghost
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
IP9000HD +
66°East to 60°West.
2x VboxII AZ-EL
My Location
UK
drusattv said:
HI,MR
VIPERSAN
FOR KA-BAND
====================
the results of experiments on 9 EAST
====
Is IT disappointing?
REGARDS​
Hi Drusat

Gave up trying after receiving a prescanned channel list for my F15 ..and even this very sensitive receiver couldn't seperate the swamping blank carrier from the saorsat carrier.
The bigger the dish ..the bigger the problem..
No way to seperate the signals.
rgds
VS

oscar2

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
1.3m prime focus dish
Xoro HD sat receiver
My Location
UK
Glad you enjoyed it !!