Topper

Amo Amas Amant Admin
Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Has gone to a good home elsewhere
My Location
Blackburn, Lancashire
Whilst not grammatically correct this is how I received the warning, could be a hoax but nothing on snopes

10313170_656623374391164_2270425228612606849_n.jpg

Llew

cerca trova...
Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Triple Dragon, Dreambox 8000, Echostar AD3000ip, TBS6522,6925,6983 PCie cards.
Gibertini 1.25m motorised dish driven by the AD3000, with either Inverto BU Quad or Norsat / XMW Ka LNBs . SMW 1.05m + 3 other dishes. Speccy: Promax HD Ranger+
My Location
The Flatlands of East Anglia
I've had similar pseudo Paypal scam emails. I just hover over the bottom link and check it - it's usually a false Paypal link to some scammer in Russia.

timo_w2s

Retired Mod
Reaction score
Website
www.timo.me.uk
My Satellite Setup
See Signature
My Location
Maidenhead, UK & Helsinki, Finland
Sounds like it could be a general phishing scam. Generally best not to click on links in emails.

Edit: Llew beat me to it.

pontiend

Contibruter
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
See Signature
My Location
south yorkshire
If you use hotmail,or as it is now outlook.Right click on the email.Scroll down the box to 'View Message Source'at the bottom. Click on that, you get all the html code.You can work the message out from that without opening the email.Near the top of the code will be a list of guesstimate addresses including yours.It is fun reading them.:)You also see the return addresses.

Last edited:

Archived-1

Persona non grata
Reaction score
My Location
uk
I am sure pay pal will stop this scam asap

rolfw

Believe it when I see it Admin.
Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Technomate 5402 HD M2 Ci, DM7000s, Transparent 80cm Dish, Moteck SG2100 DiseqC motor, lots of legacy gear. Meters: Satlook Digital NIT, Promax HD Ranger+ spectrum analyser.
My Location
Berkshire
Paypal can't stop it unfortunately, they can close the site, but they'll just use another, people just need to be aware and if in doubt, don't click the link, go to Paypal using your normal method and check to see if anything unusual is happening on your account.

PS. Beware of fake redirected paypal and bank pages, had one a couple of weeks back, typed in what I thought was my bank name, but must have typed a letter incorrectly and ended up on a copycat site which was pretty much identical to my bank. Fortunately I realised after typing in a username and password and called my bank who shut down web access to my account and their security shut the slightly differently named website down within five minutes. Trouble is, it took over a week for them to send out new access details, so keep an eye out. :)

Topper

Amo Amas Amant Admin
Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Has gone to a good home elsewhere
My Location
Blackburn, Lancashire
I have been using the hover method for a number of years on emails I have suspicions about, unfortunately phishing emails seem to have permeated every aspect of internet business, I get phishing emails from all the major banks and building societies these days but most end up in my on-line spam folder. I stopped using an email Client like Outlook five years ago as I considered the risk to my own PC is too great, better to keep stuff like that on the server where it is already stored. Rolf's experience just shows how easy it can be to get caught. I have to say my bank changing their home page to a different format and colour scheme recently did not inspire confidence and generated more complaints than thanks.

timo_w2s

Retired Mod
Reaction score
Website
www.timo.me.uk
My Satellite Setup
See Signature
My Location
Most scam sites with fake PayPal and bank login screens are hosted on an unsuspecting person's hacked site. Hackers then send out fake emails inviting victims to login to their fake pages which then sends the login details to the hackers. The web site owner usually doesn't realise until it's too late and the hackers have managed to get a few innocent victims. Once the hacked site is closed or fixed the hackers move on to the next site. And so it goes on.

PaulR

Dazed and Confused Admin
Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
-----------See sig-----------
My Location
Wirral, NW UK and Vaucluse, France.
... typed in what I thought was my bank name, but must have typed a letter incorrectly and ended up on a copycat site which was pretty much identical to my bank...
Did the same thing myself a few years ago. Typed Natiionwide.co.uk (note the extra i) and found myself on something that looked a bit like what I was expecting but not quite the same. Fortunately I realised immediately and got out PDQ.

Must admit I didn't report it (shame on me) as I was in a bit of hurry (as evidenced by the miss-spelling!) to do something at the time.

timo_w2s

Retired Mod
Reaction score
Website
www.timo.me.uk
My Satellite Setup
See Signature
My Location
natiionwide.co.uk has been registered since 2004. :eek:

Hosted in the Kansas, US. Hidden behind a Belize City privacy service. Registered through a Germany company
EPAG Domainservices GmbH.

rolfw

Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Technomate 5402 HD M2 Ci, DM7000s, Transparent 80cm Dish, Moteck SG2100 DiseqC motor, lots of legacy gear. Meters: Satlook Digital NIT, Promax HD Ranger+ spectrum analyser.
My Location
Berkshire
In my case it was a passing off site,
Code:
http://whois.domaintools.com/sanlander.co.uk
deliberately named to gain phishing info. I'm surprised Nationwide haven't forced natiionwide.co.uk to close, Malwarebytes won't allow access to that site, so not sure what's on there.

Last edited:

T_G

The Consumate Dreamer
Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
1 GigaBlue Quad plus, 1 Dreambox 5620, MOTECK SG2100A DISEqC Motor, 120 cm noname offset dish, Humax 95 cm offset dish and a few UK digiboxes.
My Location
Somewhere where the Sauer is Kraut and the Wurst is Brat
Well, I use Kaspersky Pure 3 on our 3 computers, they got this nice feature where you once enter your banking website or Paypal in the "secure banking" moduel, it then is verified. Whenever I want to do some banking I click on the link inside the Kaspersky program, and it opens up a secure window (has also a green colour edge around the whole window to show it's active). No chance of phishing there...

Attachments

• kaspersky.jpg
    kaspersky.jpg
    723.4 KB · Views: 34

2cvbloke

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
No satellite stuff for the moment (aside from a 43cm minidish that was on the house already), Samsung SyncMaster T27B550 Smart TV & Monitor, and a few computers...
My Location
Near Pontop Pike, Co. Durham
When it comes to dodgy paypal emails, I can tell straight away, because they land in the wrong inbox from the wrong email address as I use a specifically different email address for use solely with ebay and paypal, and never given out to anyone else... :D

sonnetpete

Grumpy Old Retired Moderator and quiz inquisitor..
Reaction score
Website
wordpress.com
My Satellite Setup
Laminas 1.2M fibre dish with an IBU, on a Clarke Tech USALS motor, covering 57E - 24.5W to an Octagon SX88. Displayed on a 20" Dyon LED TV.

Seperate 80 cm dish on 28E with a Humax Freesat for SWMBO.
Free Sat V8 meter. Sony Bravia 46" LCD, Sony BluRay and Home Cinema.
My Location
Normandy, France
I don't have a PayPal account...which makes detecting spam mails about it really easy....

rolfw

Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
My Location
Berkshire
Well, I use Kaspersky Pure 3 on our 3 computers, they got this nice feature where you once enter your banking website or Paypal in the "secure banking" moduel, it then is verified. Whenever I want to do some banking I click on the link inside the Kaspersky program, and it opens up a secure window (has also a green colour edge around the whole window to show it's active). No chance of phishing there...

Won't have Kaspersky on my PCs, I've tried it a couple of times, but on both occasions buggered them up, like that idea though. :)

T_G

The Consumate Dreamer
Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
1 GigaBlue Quad plus, 1 Dreambox 5620, MOTECK SG2100A DISEqC Motor, 120 cm noname offset dish, Humax 95 cm offset dish and a few UK digiboxes.
My Location
Somewhere where the Sauer is Kraut and the Wurst is Brat
Strange Rolf, I am using it on an old Winxp laptop, on my Win7 64bit notebook and on an older desktop computer with win7, and all work fine for several years and several versions of "Kaspersky Pure"...I am quite happy with it.