LNB deterioration over time

devonbrown

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
4 systems. In Scotland Freesat with Humax Foxsat recorder. In Algarve 1.5 fixed Inv Quad LNB with 3 Pace 2600C1 and 1 Amstrad HD DRX780UK also 80cm dish with Inverto 0.2db monoblock LNB (19.2E/26E) feeding Technomate 5000CI+ usb.
My Location
Scotlandl and Algarve
I have read many times that all LNBs will deteriorate over time but nowhere have I seen an indication of a reasonable lifespan expectation. Can anybody give a rough estimate as to the expected lifespan of a good LNB EG an Invacom quad 0.3db? With all the changing of Sky frequencies many people are losing stations in fringe areas and it may be down to a deteriorating LNB.

Topper

Amo Amas Amant Admin
Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Has gone to a good home elsewhere
My Location
Blackburn, Lancashire
I do not think that is possible, you will only get what people's experiences are nothing more. In manufacturing terms I am sure there will be a mean time to failure (MTTF) figure given but the factors governing the lifespan are out of the control of the manufacturer. Location, extremes of heat, cold, humidity, whether permanently on or switched off everyday, subject to sandstorms or not, used with a badly designed stb, the list is endless and so are the permuations.
My own experience is that I had a bluecap for about 17 years before it died

satelliteman

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
See signature
My Location
Northants, Midlands UK & Lanzarote, Canary Islands
Local oscillator drift to add to the list. I've also had new LNb's out of the box fail.

Analoguesat

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
TM 5402HD
Sky+ UK.
My Location
Scottish Borders
Impossible to say - we know from reports on this forum lnb's can fail in places like Cyprus after around 3 years. Here in the UK an assortment of old lnb's dating back to 2001 are still working fine and are in daily use on my system

devonbrown

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
4 systems. In Scotland Freesat with Humax Foxsat recorder. In Algarve 1.5 fixed Inv Quad LNB with 3 Pace 2600C1 and 1 Amstrad HD DRX780UK also 80cm dish with Inverto 0.2db monoblock LNB (19.2E/26E) feeding Technomate 5000CI+ usb.
My Location
Scotlandl and Algarve
Thanks to all. It is as I suspected

Channel Hopper

Suffering fools, so you don't have to.
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
www.sat-elite.uk
My Satellite Setup
A little less analogue, and a lot more crap.
My Location
UK
As with most modern domestic satellite equipment, if you have one that has been working (and has not deteriorated) in the UK for thirteen months then you are doing well.

A few of the manufacturers will give a 24 month warranty, but this is not often passed on down the distributor/badging chain to the end user.

wod

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
1m channel master, jaeger smr1224, Inverto black ultra twin, technomate tm-1500ci, broken receiver vantage x221ci, New additions Skybox F5s and technomate tm-5402 HD arriving soon.
My Location
yorkshire
Channel Hopper said:
As with most modern domestic satellite equipment, if you have one that has been working (and has not deteriorated) in the UK for thirteen months then you are doing well.

A few of the manufacturers will give a 24 month warranty, but this is not often passed on down the distributor/badging chain to the end user.

never had a problem with lnbs, one on my current dish is working fine been on there well over 12months smart titanium quad lnb, which i'm going to swap with a inverto black ultra.

mti i'm sure give 5 years warranty on there lnbs, will need to check the box, got a mti supreme line quad i bought as a backup.

nearly everything sat related is made too cheap these days