Advice Needed LNB & Signal Strength/Quality

Duncan Hill

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Sky
My Location
Biggleswade
Approximately 13 years ago Sky fitted one of their Sky dishes but we haven't used it for a few years. We've had the satellite dish connected to our LG TV which has a builtin Freesat receiver, what I noticed was how low the signal is, quality is 60% and strength 50% but the TV is successfully displaying the free to air channels. I decided to purchase a new OpenBox Satellite receiver but this is not receiving any channels and its signal strength is even lower, quality 10% and strength 35%.

So my question is how or what is needed to improve the signal strength so the my new satellite receiver receives the channels.

Replace the LNB - Is the age of the LNB a possible cause and will replacing it improve the situation?
Dish alignement - Because the LG TV is working I'm guessing that the alignment should be OK.
Cable length - The cable run is quite long, 15-20 metres, would an in line sloped amplifier be beneficial?

Is there any other options that may help?

Thanks for any help.

Last edited:

rolfw

Believe it when I see it Admin.
Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Technomate 5402 HD M2 Ci, DM7000s, Transparent 80cm Dish, Moteck SG2100 DiseqC motor, lots of legacy gear. Meters: Satlook Digital NIT, Promax HD Ranger+ spectrum analyser.
My Location
Berkshire
Percentage signal strength readings are not very reliable, what you need is signal quality, 60% on most receivers will give you reception, not sure why the Openbox doesn't work when the TV does.

Alignment may be slightly out, but perhaps you need to look at the Openbox settings. Did you do a full scan on the satellite?

A

archive10

Approximately 13 years ago Sky fitted one of their Sky dishes but we haven't used it for a few years. We've had the satellite dish connected to our LG TV which has a builtin Freesat receiver, what I noticed was how low the signal is, quality is 60% and strength 50% but the TV is successfully displaying the free to air channels. I decided to purchase a new OpenBox Satellite receiver but this is not receiving any channels and its signal strength is even lower, quality 10% and strength 35%.

So my question is how or what is needed to improve the signal strength so the my new satellite receiver receives the channels.

Replace the LNB - Is the age of the LNB a possible cause and will replacing it improve the situation?
Dish alignement - Because the LG TV is working I'm guessing that the alignment should be OK.
Cable length - The cable run is quite long, 15-20 metres, would an in line sloped amplifier be beneficial?

Thanks for any help.
As Rolf say, signal Quality is the most important. I have one installation with strength == 10%, quality aound 70, ad it works a charm.

1. LNB replacement - wait until other areas are exhausted. They do wear out (electronics), but can be awkward to change if dish is on roof. Remember to buy an LNB compatible with your Sky dish, as the shape of dish may require special feed horn shape. Post pic of dish here if in doubt.
2. Alignment is everything; ideally get someone with a SAT meter to align dish (ie. Pro installer). If adventurous, try it yourself using STB meter. But you mileage will vary.
3. Unless you can visually identify kinks/bends in cable, or bad connectors etc, your cabling is probaby ok.

Zenolar

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Openbox
My Location
West lancs

Thanks for any help.
Had exactly the same problems. Found out I was using the wrong ac adaptor.using a 5v and should have been 12v. Sorted the issue straight away. I could have kicked myself.