Looking for 7w advice

Satdaz

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
1.4m dish but no receiver yet
My Location
Hereford UK
Hi some of you might remember me, I used to be Dreamlife and cooltv on other forums. I have decided to get back into satellite TV again after a break and i'm after some advice on getting 7w please. I have just ordered a 1.4m dish and was wondering what i'd get on 7w with this size located in Hereford UK? I am mainly after bein sports but if I can get other English channels that would be great to. As far as LNB's go, can I use a Sky LNB or not? Also if I wanted a receiver apart from a bein sports one, what is a good HD receiver that is quite cheap? I am aware I cannot use the bein sports card in it but would like another HD receiver to go along side it. My last receiver I got into was a Technomate 9100 SD if that helps, it's going back a while :) Thanks to anyone that can answer my questions.

Captain Jack

Burnt out human
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
See signature
My Location
North Somerset
A 1.4m will be no problems for BeIN sports for you. You'll get a couple of decent MBC channels as well.

Sky LNB will not work properly on your 1.4m dish as it's not designed for it. What dish is it? Prime focus or offset? For offset, go for Black Ultra.

With regards to HD receivers... there's just far too many of them to suggest anything. What are you looking to do with it?

Analoguesat

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
TM 5402HD
Sky+ UK.
My Location
Scottish Borders
Hello & welcome!

Sky lnb's are machined for oval dishes - they will work but wont illuminate the dish face properly.

Inverto Black lnbs are well regarded atm so have a look at them..

As for receivers the Technomate TM5402 has a good reputation and decent sensitivity, the Skybox/Openbox brand is cheap as chips and several folk on the forum have these latter ones.

However receiver choice is a personal thing so if you give us some ideas of what you might want to do with it.

Satdaz

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
My Location
Hereford UK
Thanks for the reply's, yes the dish is an offset one so I will have a look at some LNB's later. The main reason for 7w is to pickup Bein sports but if I get anything on the satellite of interest then it's a bonus. I used to have a 1m motorised system a while ago but then I moved and sold it. I also used to have a Linux receiver but i'm not sure I would benefit from one with the dish pointed just at 7w. I was thinking about buying a receiver to pickup the free channels for the bedroom but that depends on if there are any good free channels on 7w or would they all be scrambled?

RimaNTSS

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Some SAT-related hardware.
My Location
N-E from Riga
I have just ordered a 1.4m dish
Is you already ordered than it is too late to ask what you will be able to receive. Install antenna and check in reality. Some sellers measure offset dishes along vertical axe and say that dish is 1,4m, but in reality dish is only 1,2m. What is exact type of antenna you got? Could you show some pictures?
And, welcome to forum!

Satdaz

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
My Location
Hereford UK
It's the 1.3m Steel Satellite Dish 1.4m x 1.3m with AZ-EL Mount off ebay, not sure if it's any good or not but it looks ok.

Attachments

• dish.jpg
    dish.jpg
    17.6 KB · Views: 50

Riverblue

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
See Signature
My Location
Near Brighton
Fta channels worth watching, MBC 1, MBC 2, MBC 3, MBC 4, MBC Action, MBC Max, Fox, Fox Movies, showing various films/series/documentaries from USA/UK. Also, if you like horse racing, there is Dubai Racing HD showing all UK/Irish/USA/Australian/French racing, all in English. There are quite a few sport channels as well but they are all in Arabic and if you intend getting BeIN Sports there isn't much point in watching them. :)

RimaNTSS

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
My Location
N-E from Riga
It's the 1.3m Steel Satellite Dish 1.4m x 1.3m with AZ-EL Mount off ebay
Do you have this dish at home or it is still on the way? Can you measure it horizontally (measure only working surface), just to know what kind of beast it is? Now we already know that is certainly not 1,4m. Most likely it is just 1,2m.

Satdaz

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
My Location
Hereford UK
I don't have the dish yet it should be here next week

RimaNTSS

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
My Location
N-E from Riga
That is good example how sellers try to trick their costumers. They show vertical measurement of the offset dish writing it in BIG LETTERS, then they add 1,4x1,3 dimension (overall diameter). However if you say diameter than it should be only one number, for example 1,2m. But 1,4x1,3 can not be circle but oval, and oval does not have diameter. And later in text they also mention reflector diameter 1,4mx1,27m! Perhaps, when you measure effective surface it will be even smaller than 1,27m, maybe 1,25m. That is business!

Satdaz

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
My Location
Hereford UK
Thanks again for the reply's, so is this dish any good then for what I am after? I know it's a bit late now if it ain't but in the description it clearly states that it's ok for Nilesat. I also checked the coverage for my area and it said that 1.1m to 1.2m would be fine. Am I correct in saying that I have bought a 1.2m dish and not a 1.4m dish then?

RimaNTSS

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
My Location
N-E from Riga
And, be prepared, if they trick you with honest description of their product, they can easily and most likely trick you also with quality of it! I also woriied that AZ-EL Mount mentioned does not really mean what we usually understand by AZ-EL Mount. Unfortunately (maybe in purpose they did not put picture from behind). They also make lots of mistakes in pricing, those mistakes also show bigger picture than should be in reality. Saying that, I would never buy Faval 1,2m dish, instead of that I would better look for used CM 1,2m. IMHO

RimaNTSS

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
My Location
N-E from Riga
Am I correct in saying that I have bought a 1.2m dish and not a 1.4m dish then?
I would say, instead of advertised 1,4 you got 1,27 (maybe 1,25m)
So, you can change your avatar signature :p Sorry for that.

Analoguesat

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
TM 5402HD
Sky+ UK.
My Location
Scottish Borders
Depends WHICH Nilesat!

Nilesat 101 is decommissioned & out of service so you can ignore any references you see to that one.

Nilesat 102 should be at least partially receivable

Nilesat 201 - forget it

Eutelsat 7WA should be no problem.

Lazarus

Retired Moderator
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
80cm Motorised.
Several small Dishes.
Much else.
My Location
North York Moors
Thanks again for the reply's, so is this dish any good then for what I am after? I know it's a bit late now if it ain't but in the description it clearly states that it's ok for Nilesat. I also checked the coverage for my area and it said that 1.1m to 1.2m would be fine. Am I correct in saying that I have bought a 1.2m dish and not a 1.4m dish then?

Strictly speaking, it will be ok for Eutelsat 7WA, which is a relatively new bird and is actually at 7.2W

Nilesat 101/102 are still doing service, but are not easy to get without an even bigger dish.

The good news is that I get over 300 FTA TV service from Eutelsat 7WA.

So there's no yes/no answer and it is important to distinguish between Eutelsat 7WA and Nilesat even though we all rather lazily just think of it all as Nilesat!

Also, Eutelsat 8WC is at the same nominal position. Confusing, innit?!

Satdaz

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
My Location
Hereford UK
Just out of interest what size dish would you need for Nilesat 201, are we talking BIG? :D

RimaNTSS

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
My Location
N-E from Riga
are we talking BIG?
Yes, much BIGER dish and change of installation location couple of thousands kilometers :D South.

Riverblue

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
See Signature
My Location
Near Brighton
The fta channels I listed in post 7 and more importantly for you BeIN Sports, are all on Eutelsat 7WA which you should be able to receive on the dish you pointed out. The only thing I will add is that you are further North than me and you probably won't get much rain margin with that dish, especially on BeIN Sports 11EN which is not on the strongest of tp's (10853 H 27500) :(

Captain Jack

Burnt out human
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
See signature
My Location
North Somerset
Additionally, there's nothing to stop them from moving the channels from the easy-ish to receive Eutelsat 7WA to impossible to receive Nilesat 201.

For now, you'll be OK with what you ordered.