Newbie Here Lost in France 2, Freesat

GCGThomson

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Freesat box (Humax) satellite dish
My Location
Beaune, France
I have used Freesat with my Humax receiver for a number of years now in Beaune, Burgundy, France. Since about April the 'marching ant' tuning cycle has got progressively longer when I switch on and recently it took 40mins for the programme to be stable.

The problem seems to be more prone to BBC channels and I have to switch between the 'normal' channel and the HD version to get a working channel sometimes.

I have also noticed that the sound quality is degrading and the higher the volume setting the louder the 'hum' interference.

A friend who also has a home in the area has also experienced the problem with the Freesat tuner built into their TV.

Before I resort to more expensive solutions (which also may be short term) is this a strategy to reduce the reception capability here in France?

Thanks, Graham

Lazarus

Retired Moderator
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
80cm Motorised.
Several small Dishes.
Much else.
My Location
North York Moors

hairybadger

Bricoleur
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
see sig
My Location
near Geneva, Haute-Savoie, France
FWIW Freesat reception is still fine for me (near Geneva).

PaulR

Dazed and Confused Admin
Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
-----------See sig-----------
My Location
Wirral, NW UK and Vaucluse, France.
And last week when I was in the Vaucluse the levels were substantially unchanged.

I agree with Lazarus - it does sound like a power supply problem. I haven't researched this but you may find that you need to order the correct kit as there is more than one type of Freesat box from Humax.

Does your Humax sit in a place where it can get a decent circulation of air to carry heat away? Putting a satellite receiver in an enclosed space can quite literally cook the life out electronic components.

Your friend's problem may be the same or it may not. Does he have a problem with French terrestrial channels (assuming it can still display them after the changes earlier this year)?

4wd

Getting the picture
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
5 W, 9-13-19-28 E
My Location
Bergen, Norway \ Alpes Maritimes, France
Agree, hum and receiver coming into life after a period (voltage slooooowly rising), "normal" behavior for old\defective capacitors.