magic eye lit up but not working

skeggyhornet

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
sky hd
My Location
lincolnshire
im not sure what section to put this in but getting in a right state over this magic eye problem .
have installed a 4 way sky bypass amp from a sky+box to four remote rooms with two magic eyes at 2 of the points.
i am getting a bad sky picture and the remote is not operating at either point allthough the light on the magic eye is working could this be a short in the cable from the rf2 to the amp or plugs,
or could it be a short elsewhere in the cabling , or the sky+ box having a fault.

rolfw

Believe it when I see it Admin.
Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Technomate 5402 HD M2 Ci, DM7000s, Transparent 80cm Dish, Moteck SG2100 DiseqC motor, lots of legacy gear. Meters: Satlook Digital NIT, Promax HD Ranger+ spectrum analyser.
My Location
Berkshire
Most likely to be the cable or connectors between RF 2 on the digibox and the amp.

D

deleted

If RF2 output is on you will get light on magic eye, but it seems to me you may have shorted 1 or more of your cables especially if pic is bad, you say a (SKY bypass amp) you should use global amp powered by RF2 output,, not all amps support power through amp, although you have power to m/eye, sounds like short in cable M8, Try barrel connector between RF2 out and 1 of your cables out at amp this would discount amp and hopefully test each cable for short !!

skeggyhornet

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
sky hd
My Location
lincolnshire
thanks for response guys,
one thing i have tried is took the line into the amp (rf2 from skybox) out and one of the rooms and joined them straight together and i still get the same poor picture and magic eye lights up but wont operate, im pretty sure there is a short somewhere probably the cable from rf2 --- to amp.

skeggyhornet

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
sky hd
My Location
lincolnshire
...SORTED ......... there was a single strand of wire from the outer cable touching the the inner cable in the plug at the rf2 out at the back of the box
pulled it away and replaced plug and everything was ok .............

...........................thanks for the help guys...................................................

Topper

Amo Amas Amant Admin
Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Has gone to a good home elsewhere
My Location
Blackburn, Lancashire
skeggyhornet said:
...SORTED ......... there was a single strand of wire from the outer cable touching the the inner cable in the plug at the rf2 out at the back of the box
pulled it away and replaced plug and everything was ok .............

...........................thanks for the help guys...................................................

Often is.....glad you are sorted