Magic Eye with Humax Foxsat-HDR

philster

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
fresat
My Location
nottingham
I'm thinking of buying the Humax Foxsat-HDR but I will need to have a link from the box in my living room to my bedroom as the wife always wants to watch the rest of the film in bed (an duly drops to sleep). I noticed that there is no rf out on this device so is there a way that I can use a magic eye to control the PVR from my bedroom. Will an rf modulator attached to the Humax SCART allow me to do this?

Thanks

Phil

Robbo

Retired Mod
Reaction score
Website
www.mbcsatellites.co.uk
My Satellite Setup
TM6800HD, TM1000, TM600 Linux,TM2200 motor, Channel Master 1.2m motorised, TD110 dish Meter=Satlook Micro+G2 NIT
My Location
Gravesend,Kent,UK
Hi it won't work. You need a standard remote control extender.

Never tried one, but google brings up a multitude of options.

The MAGIC EYE is only for Sky boxes,with the remote control signals being sent via the RF2 connector.

satelliteman

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
See signature
My Location
Northants, Midlands UK & Lanzarote, Canary Islands
You could install a wireless AV extender with IR commands.

for example: _http://www.philex.com/parts/show/27991R

Alternatively, a seperate freesat receiver allowing more viewing options.

SM :)

philster

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
fresat
My Location
nottingham
Thanks for the info. I have been looking round and found that the tvLINK plus works with non Sky boxes. It mentions that it can work with a TVM Modulator, does anyone have any idea whether this set up would work with the Humax Foxsat-HDR. I don't want to buy all this equipment then find out it won't work.
See Link _http://www.tvlink.co.uk/tvlinkplus.htm

Thanks

Phil

Robbo

Retired Mod
Reaction score
Website
www.mbcsatellites.co.uk
My Satellite Setup
TM6800HD, TM1000, TM600 Linux,TM2200 motor, Channel Master 1.2m motorised, TD110 dish Meter=Satlook Micro+G2 NIT
My Location
Gravesend,Kent,UK
There's no reason why it shouldn't that I can see. The device use coax cable to send the remote signals down, by the looks of it, but at the receiver end it's converted back to IR.

If you don't need to control it, but just watch, then you would not need the TV link anyway.

HDMI can be used over 25m, and controlled via HDMI CEC, that may be another option. Not sure, there may be HDMI splitters available, not all HD equipment has HDMI CEC implemented, but the picture and audio would be OK.

If the box has component video or composite video/audio connectors on it, you could also send the signal that way instead. A scart to phono adapter with some long cables may also work reasonably well.

The modulator should also work with any SD video/audio source, but not for HD content.

EDIT,

It might be easier to get a 2nd HD receiver as suggested by SMM, generic FTA HD sat receivers can be got from as little as £109, the HD Freesats are not much more.

Screwfix do a 4 way HDMI splitter for about £98

_http://www.screwfix.com/prods/63235/Electrical-Supplies/TV-Range/Amplifiers-Distribution/4-Way-HDMI-Splitter?cm_mmc=GoogleBase:-sleepDatafeed:-sleepElectrical%20Supplies:-sleep4%20Way%20HDMI%20Splitter

There's probably cheaper 2 way ones for about £50 i woul have thought.

satelliteman

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
See signature
My Location
Northants, Midlands UK & Lanzarote, Canary Islands
Bush BFSAT01HD £97.43 from argos.

philster

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
fresat
My Location
nottingham
Thanks for the advice.
I received my foxsat -hdr this weekend and now have it working in the lounge and also in the bedroom using a magic eye.
I ended up buying a PRO-2 Range 15m hdmi cable from hdcable.co.uk which I ran outside to the bedroom tv (in a conduit to protect it from the weather). I also ran a coax cable with it and connected a tvlinkplus to one end and the magic eye to the other. The wife is over the moon as we can pause the live tv or recording downstairs take the remote upstairs and carry on watching without missing any action.

Phil

T1154

T1154
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Motorised dish
Fixed dishes forAstra2 Atlantic bird 3 and astra 1
Sky box, Humax Viaccess, Humax HD freesat,strong 6410
My Location
S W France [47]
philster said:
Thanks for the advice.
I received my foxsat -hdr this weekend and now have it working in the lounge and also in the bedroom using a magic eye.
I ended up buying a PRO-2 Range 15m hdmi cable from hdcable.co.uk which I ran outside to the bedroom tv (in a conduit to protect it from the weather). I also ran a coax cable with it and connected a tvlinkplus to one end and the magic eye to the other. The wife is over the moon as we can pause the live tv or recording downstairs take the remote upstairs and carry on watching without missing any action.

Phil
I like it,but I guess there must be a recommended limit to the length of HDMI cable that can be employed . Is that so ? [Price?] Presumably the 'tvlinkplus' provides power for the Magic eye? I have bought a hama modulator to link to the magic eye, providing separate DC insertion after the modulator and so feed the second TV.Will the 'tvlinkplus' allow me to do this ? I have not come across it here in France .
Incidentally I use the 'Non freesat' Mode to enable me to get Sky News.but the box seems to have a problem memorising this selection for more than a few hours and reverts to freesat overnight thus changing the channel numbering .I know it can easily reset [by me] ,but its a nuisance .

philster

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
fresat
My Location
nottingham
I had conflicting advice about the maximum length of the hdmi cable. I bought 15m for around £36 and haven't had any problems at all, I'd expect that 20m would work. I ran a coaxial cable with the hdmi to allow the magic eye to work. The tvlink plus unit provides a power supply for the magic eye. My Humax is set up for Freesat but is also tuned to non Freesat, it's easy to switch between them by switching the STB Mode in the menu from freesat to non-freesat.