Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
TM 5402HD
Sky+ UK.
My Location
Scottish Borders
Ever since our Sky box got the latest firmware its been troublesome. Every 3 or 4 weeks it will lock up at random You could be trying to change channel, chase play through the adverts, nothing fancy just the usual day to day stuff.

The only fix is to unplug and reset the box. Then its absolutely fine for a few weeks again. Anyone else been having problems?

Captain Jack

Burnt out human
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
See signature
My Location
North Somerset
I don't have a 2TB box (our 2010 500GB model has enough crap stored on it) but I haven't experienced such issues. Maybe a forced software download or a full box reset/rebuild might help?

Or perhaps a failing power supply? Though it's probably too new to suffer such issues...

Analoguesat

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
TM 5402HD
Sky+ UK.
My Location
Scottish Borders
PSU shouldnt be a problem - yet - as its only 6 months old. The issue has only started since the onboard s/w was updated which makes me suspect a minor problem with it.

A

Archive-8

Ever since our Sky box got the latest firmware its been troublesome. Every 3 or 4 weeks it will lock up at random You could be trying to change channel, chase play through the adverts, nothing fancy just the usual day to day stuff.

The only fix is to unplug and reset the box. Then its absolutely fine for a few weeks again. Anyone else been having problems?
My 2TB box has the same problems. Only on the last update I was away for a couple of days and all the recordings had failed.

Once I pulled the power out, every thing is fine.

Channel Hopper

Suffering fools, so you don't have to.
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
www.sat-elite.uk
My Satellite Setup
A little less analogue, and a lot more crap.
My Location
UK
The only fix is to unplug and reset the box. Then its absolutely fine for a few weeks again.

Then it's not a fix.

That's like smokers who have said they quit once before.

Captain Jack

Burnt out human
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
See signature
My Location
North Somerset
Surely 6 month old kit should still be under warranty?

A

Archive-8

It should be. But sky will try to either send an engineer, or sell you an upgraded box.

I can't phone them or I am on the phone for over an hour.

Tell them the call is being recorded your end. Then they tend to escalate it to some one that can send a new box out.

Captain Jack

Burnt out human
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
See signature
My Location
North Somerset
I had a faulty box once. All their 'engineer' did was swap the box out...

PaulR

Dazed and Confused Admin
Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
-----------See sig-----------
My Location
Wirral, NW UK and Vaucluse, France.
IIRC there's no alternative for Sky listed on saynoto0870. They want their pound of flesh from their mugs, er customers, just for the privilege of phoning them up.

timo_w2s

Retired Mod
Reaction score
Website
www.timo.me.uk
My Satellite Setup
See Signature
My Location
Maidenhead, UK & Helsinki, Finland
I'm pretty sure it's an 03 number now isn't it?

PaulR

Dazed and Confused Admin
Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
-----------See sig-----------
My Location
Wirral, NW UK and Vaucluse, France.
Could be, I'm not a subscriber and don't even have a functioning Skybox in the UK.

A

archive10

Memory leaks are a serious problem.
And they are way too common. TBH, most STBs have them, some more serious than others. These days, it is more or less unavoidable to boot your box now and then. In fact, on our previous generation (and admittedly cable) box, we implemented a night-time clean-up job that finished by rebooting the box to clear the memory! Quite a brute-force solution. But customer callls plummeted! Everyone's happy!

Many modern boxes are fairly resource-constrained (limited memory), with no virtual memory (swap-space on disk).
They also have the UI applications written i Javascript/HTML, running in a embedded browser environment. The garbage-collector routines of these browsers don't always work very well, so the browser process grows and grows...
The software stack is mostly based on Linux, with all sorts of chipset-dependent drivers and proprietary tv client software. Again, lots of potential for memory leaks, and indeed all sorts of other resource mamangement confliects (tuners, disk space etc).

Making good software is very, very expensive. Screwing up existing software is very, very easy. Would not be surprised if Sky had introduced a bug in the latest software that would lead to your head-aches....

Last edited by a moderator:

statalite

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Nova-HD-S2, Dr HD D15, Free sat V7S, Free sat v8 finder V-71HD
Zone 1 @ 28.2°E
Zone 2 @ 19.2°E with 28.2°E and 13.0°E
Channel Master 1.0m (to be setup)
Channel Master 1.2m (to be setup)
SMR 1224
My Location
UK Midlands
Sky do have online help forums, maybe there is a thread on the latest software which may show other users with the same problem or you could add this big issue.