Moscow - No Satellite Signal is Being Received

Moscow Wolf

ASBO Club Member - Persona non grata
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
2 metre Russian Made Aluminium Dish mounted on a 14th Floor Block of Flats with twin cables threaded down to the 5th Floor.
SKY + PACE TDS470NB
My Location
Moscow, Russia
I don't know if I'm even in the right part of the Forum, but I guess a MOD can move it if I am not.

I would like some Layman's advice as I am only just starting to learn a little bit about this satellite malarkey, but have so much to learn and I am not a technically proficient person.

So, I am in Moscow, Russia. I have a 2 metre dish up on the 14th Floor of this high rise building and I have a SKY + set-up down on the 5th floor with the cables threaded through the service channels of the building. I have a PACE TDS47ONB Box.

A couple of weeks ago, I lost my signal and the Russian Technician came over and replaced the LNB and we were back up and running. This Wednesday at midday, I lose my signal whilst watching SKY News, there were no power cuts and as far as I could ascertain there was nobody up on the roof that could have messed with the dish or the cables themselves, (I cannot completely discount this as our house is in a housing management dispute/takeover and the new lot have changed the locks to the roof so I haven't been able to have a look yet).

Anyway, I go through my usual 'unplug the SKY+ Box, wait a while and plug it all back in', but I have no satellite signal at all. The Box however, seems to be alive in so far as I get the green light, it will give me the set-up directories, the correct time and date etc.

Trying to do as much as I can before getting the Techies in or taking the Box somewhere else to test it on another set-up what can I do myself? What does the 'System Health Check' do, does it need the Telephone Line connected (not an option from Russia) or, is the PIN coded report number going to cause me other problems, I just do not know what this function does?

I have no 'voltage meter' or such tools to be able to check anything and have to assume that the problem could be only in the dish, LNB, the cabling or the Box itself and, I'm just trying to find a layman's way of trying to ascertain where the fault lies.

Any simple 'button pressing' instructions with the odd banana thrown in would be appreciated.

Thank you.

wod

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
1m channel master, jaeger smr1224, Inverto black ultra twin, technomate tm-1500ci, broken receiver vantage x221ci, New additions Skybox F5s and technomate tm-5402 HD arriving soon.
My Location
yorkshire
by the sound of it the dish could have been moved or even the cables disconnected from it , as you do say the management company have locked access to the roof ?

by the way you was doing well if you can receive some channels on 28e that far away

is there no way of getting access to the roof, i don't suggest you do it but maybe cut the lock off the door and have a look up on the roof ?

rolfw

Believe it when I see it Admin.
Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Technomate 5402 HD M2 Ci, DM7000s, Transparent 80cm Dish, Moteck SG2100 DiseqC motor, lots of legacy gear. Meters: Satlook Digital NIT, Promax HD Ranger+ spectrum analyser.
My Location
Berkshire
Buy or borrow a non sky receiver, then you can test the signal.

darin73

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
have 2.1meter dish with 2in1 head for www & tv, Sky UK sat box (think its amstrad), computer is gateway laptop w/ XP
My Location
Tver, Russia
hi, thanx for your suggestion a while back..still no luck for me her in Tver..as i am west of Moscow i thought i should be able to receive sky channels that you are receiving as i'm farther in-side the "satellite foot-print"..

well, in short, i was hoping you could tell me which LNB frequency you had your box set-up for??

i had original setting of 11.778, and have just tried another members suggestion of 12207V, however as you can guess since i'm writing you, both say "no satellite signal being received"..

cpacebo, darin

ps..did you ever get your working again?